• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

GPA is very flawed and easily manipulated.

For instance, any book that is sold through an eBay store and the

seller/store owner puts a discount on the book and you buy it, GPA records it at the seller's original asking price which is false.

No. GPA gets their eBay data through the eBay API which provides the actual purchase price (including the correct price for accepted best offers) - it's a different set of data compared to what you can see when you're just browsing completed auctions.

You're wrong and I'll continue to take advantage of this loophole. For instance, I purchased a book for $600 from a guy's eBay store that he had listed as $900, but then he discounted the book to $600. GPA recorded the sale at $900 and it's still logged on GPA as $900.00.

I will not talk specifics as it's not my job to create the software for GPA to record things accurately.

I'll say it again, GPA is very flawed.

seller/store owner puts a discount on the book and you buy it, GPA records it at the seller's original asking price which is false.

No. GPA gets their eBay data through the eBay API which provides the actual purchase price (including the correct price for accepted best offers) - it's a different set of data compared to what you can see when you're just browsing completed auctions.

You're wrong and I'll continue to take advantage of this loophole. For instance, I purchased a book for $600 from a guy's eBay store that he had listed as $900, but then he discounted the book to $600. GPA recorded the sale at $900 and it's still logged on GPA as $900.00.

I will not talk specifics as it's not my job to create the software for GPA to record things accurately.

Nope.

Here's a good example:

1) Book was listed at a $500 BIN with the best offer option:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=141202284570

2) Best offer accepted by the seller for the book was $420.

3) GPA shows the correct $420 sale price:

Image%202014-05-18%20at%205.54.54%20PM.png

Not saying that there aren't bad sales data in GPA - with the amount of items they record, there's bound to be mistakes from time to time. But to claim that GPA doesn't record a sales price that includes seller discounts, accepted best offers, or any of the other stuff that influences the final selling price on eBay is flat out wrong.

Nope.

Here's a good example:

Not saying that there aren't bad sales data in GPA - with the amount of items they record, there's bound to be mistakes from time to time. But to claim that GPA doesn't record a sales price that includes seller discounts, accepted best offers, or any of the other stuff that influences the final selling price on eBay is flat out wrong.

You and I are talking about 2 separate things so there's some misunderstanding between what we're trying to get across.

Yes, when someone has a book as a BIN or best offer and the best offer is accepted then GPA does record the best offer price at the correct sale.

BUT....

When an eBay store has a book listed at x amount and then puts a discount on the book at a lower amount and you buy it at the discounted price then GPA records the sale at the original price and not the discounted price.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by taking advantage of this loophole. hm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by taking advantage of this loophole. hm

he buys is at $600, then quotes GPA of $900 when he flips it at $750 hm

he buys is at $600, then quotes GPA of $900 when he flips it at $750 hm

Just want to update that George and I have spoken and I provided him with some specifics and he provided me other examples of the data recording correctly.

I do want to apologize to George for saying GPA is flawed. Rather, the information being provided to GPA appears to have some flaws. I told George I would make that statement as I know in business we are sometimes at the mercy of our suppliers and other outside influences that we can't control.

I wonder if eBay uses the listed price for assessing fees, or if they (correctly) use the discounted price?

Seems like they'd have the API at the point of fee assesment, since that's going to be the correctly cited price (after discounts, or "Or Best Offers" or bids or second chance offers or whatever).

but based on the above info (that GPA is tied to a dataset that reports the listed eBay store price not the discount price) it seems that's not the case....

I wonder if eBay uses the listed price for assessing fees, or if they (correctly) use the discounted price?

Seems like they'd have the API at the point of fee assesment, since that's going to be the correctly cited price (after discounts, or "Or Best Offers" or bids or second chance offers or whatever).

but based on the above info (that GPA is tied to a dataset that reports the listed eBay store price not the discount price) it seems that's not the case....

You mean the incorrect info above? :makepoint:

Here's an example of a discounted listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-SS-9-8-Walking-Dead-100-Chromium-Variant-signed-Lincoln-Gurira-Morrissey-/121322698110

If you look that sale up in GPA, it'll list the sale price as $525.

Just like GPA, eBay's FVF assessment uses whatever the real sale value is as its basis.

You mean the incorrect info above? :makepoint:

Here's an example of a discounted listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-SS-9-8-Walking-Dead-100-Chromium-Variant-signed-Lincoln-Gurira-Morrissey-/121322698110

If you look that sale up in GPA, it'll list the sale price as $525.

Just like GPA, eBay's FVF assessment uses whatever the real sale value is as its basis.

well thats a relief!

thanks for citing an actual example.

does the contrarian want to cite his example of the GPA vs eBay mis-match?

Nope.

Here's a good example:

You and I are talking about 2 separate things so there's some misunderstanding between what we're trying to get across.

Yes, when someone has a book as a BIN or best offer and the best offer is accepted then GPA does record the best offer price at the correct sale.

BUT....

When an eBay store has a book listed at x amount and then puts a discount on the book at a lower amount and you buy it at the discounted price then GPA records the sale at the original price and not the discounted price.

please provide an example, since MS has provide one that disproves it.

GPA doesn't include the CA sales tax on my Heritage purchases

They don't include shipping either - which brings up considering the value of free shipping when recording GPA data on those books vs. ones where shipping was extra.