• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

In the Giving Tree thread, Chip Cataldo posted a Strange Tales #115 that he graded 4.0. Another boardie pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

So I did a little bit of digging. Huge grade bumps from PGM to eBay and there are a LOT of examples. Here are some:

PGM: DD 7 3.5 and he said "that's about what I had it pegged at". --------------------- ebay 5.0

PGM: Avengers 55 5.5/6.0 ------------------- ebay 7.5

PGM: Captain Marvel 1 4.0 ------------------ ebay 5.0

PGM: Captain Marvel 26 8.5 --------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: Iron Man 30 6.0 ------------------- ebay 8.0

PGM: Iron Man 76 8.0 ------------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: TOS 31 4.5 ----------------- ebay 6.0

PGM: FF 74 4.5 ------------------ ebay 7.0

PGM: ASM 33 4.5 ------------------- ebay 6.0

Look at any of his other PGM and you'll almost certainly see a hefty grade bump when placed on ebay.

To me, it looks like purposefully overgrading for a higher wining bid. What makes it worse is that's he advertises directly through this site.

I had a thought that maybe the grade disparity was due to undergrading in the PGM sub-forum. Not so. Why list the ST115 here as a 4.0 and on ebay as a 5.5? Or the DD 7, where he agrees with the 3.5 average but posts it on ebay as a 5.0? It reeks of serial overgrading.

Thoughts?

In the Giving Tree thread, Chip Cataldo posted a Strange Tales #115 that he graded 4.0. Another boardie pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

So I did a little bit of digging. Huge grade bumps from PGM to eBay and there are a LOT of examples. Here are some:

PGM: DD 7 3.5 and he said "that's about what I had it pegged at". --------------------- ebay 5.0

Look at any of his other PGM and you'll almost certainly see a hefty grade bump when placed on ebay.

To me, it looks like purposefully overgrading for a higher wining bid. What makes it worse is that's he advertises directly through this site.

I had a thought that maybe the grade disparity was due to undergrading in the PGM sub-forum. Not so. Why list the ST115 here as a 4.0 and on ebay as a 5.5? Or the DD 7, where he agrees with the 3.5 average but posts it on ebay as a 5.0? It reeks of serial overgrading.

Thoughts?

:o

I almost don't know what to say to this. I guess it will be the same justification as in the Garage Sale Find Thread.

What he does on Ebay is between him and his seller rating. If he try's to sell them over graded here then maybe its an issue, maybe. jmho

I could not disagree more. If you use this site to grade and to promote your website then you are held to a higher standard than regular EBAY Sellers.

What he does on Ebay is between him and his seller rating. If he try's to sell them over graded here then maybe its an issue, maybe. jmho
Even when he advertises these sales through this board? That means he's telling us to go bid/buy these books...

Even when he advertises these sales through this board? That means he's telling us to go bid/buy these books...

For the record I've never trusted him. :gossip:

I didn't say it wasn't the everyones right to not help him grade or choose to not but from him. I personally will not buy from someone who openly over grades. If you look at his feedback it is starting to come back to bite him. I just am unsure if this is a sale forum issue? but again I could be wrong (shrug)

I have no problem what so ever that you want to make people aware of the issue just that it would probably be better as a Comics General thread. Again maybe I'm wrong

Edited by Shadow Images

I didn't say it wasn't the everyones right to not help him grade or choose to not but from him. I personally will not buy from someone who openly over grades. If you look at his feedback it is starting to come back to bite him. I just am unsure if this is a sale forum issue? but again I could be wrong (shrug)

I have no problem what so ever that you want to make people aware of the issue just that it would probably be better as a Comics General thread. Again maybe I'm wrong

I would say it falls under the sales general discussion as long as links like this exist.

Sales Thread

I would say it falls under the sales general discussion as long as links like this exist.

Sales Thread

I was just going through that section, I had not noticed his posts there before. So I stand corrected, It can be considered a sale section issue.

:facepalm: He really is his own worst enemy.

Edited by Shadow Images

Thoughts?

I almost don't know what to say to this. I guess it will be the same justification as in the Garage Sale Find Thread.

Nine examples out of how many?

Are we talking 9/10 or 9/500?

Thoughts?

Good point. Those were examples, looking at post history tells the whole story. Allow me to elaborate.

I went back and looked at his last 28 PGM threads, after that point there were image resizing issues that skewed the grades. 28 is a good sample size anyways.

Out of those 28 only 24 had more than 2 grades, so I will throw out those 4 examples as they don't prove anything without a semblance of a consensus.

23/24 were ebay overgraded based on the PGM average grade. The exception book was a Preacher # 2 with a 9.7 average from 3 graders that was sold as a 9.6. The average rate of overgrading on all 24 books was a full +1.0. Remove the .2 grade differential books and we are left with19/24 with an overgrade avg of +1.57.

Out of all 28 PGM threads, only 5 times did anyone guess a grade at the ebay grade, with one over on a 9.8 on the Preacher #2

Messy individual PGM/ebay grades in spoiler

PGM average on left, ebay grade on right

DD7 3.6 – 5.0

ASM 33 4.7 – 6.0

FF 40 5.3 – 6.5

FF 87 9.1 - 9.2

Avengers 55 5.5 – 7.5

Captain Marvel 1 4.0 - 5.0

Thor 142 6.5 – 8.0

ASM 49 7.8 – 8.0

X-Men 66 5.1 – 6.5

Batman 200 7.0 – 8.0

Batman 232 8.2 – 9.0

TOS 31 4.4 – 6.0

Iron Man 99 9.0 – 9.4

Iron Man 76 8.1 – 9.2

Iron Man 66 7 – 8.5

Iron Man 30 6.1 – 8.0

Avengers 125 7.8 – 9.0

Captain Marvel 26 8.4 – 9.2

Daredevil 111 7.2 – 8.0

ST 126 3.1 – 3.5

Strange Adventures 205 2.7 – 3.5

Thor 165 7.1 – 8.0

Preacher 2 9.7 – 9.6

Thoughts?

I don't think it's a marketplace issue truthfully, outing him as knowingly overstating grades on e-bay doesn't look good at all ...I don't think there's anything actionable other than sharing what you found to warn others.

You did that & Chip obviously is doing some things wrong, his only defense is that he starts his auctions at a low price. On e-bay grade/price go hand in hand, I usually ignore what a seller quotes & look at scans anyways. That still doesn't make him right.

I personally think this is just TGT butthurt carrying over to here. There seems to have been a pattern of judging Chip and Chip's offers harshly, one or more people over there have been continuing to take a keen interest in his participation in that thread since the beginning.

I'm sure people are busy cleaning up their e-bay history, post history, squaring up charitable history, photobuckets, facebooks, etc...so that they can come over to participate The Giving Tree thread, give away a book (as per PGM results) only to have it get researched enough to blow up in their faces like this has for Chip.

Surely with all of this disclosure at Chip's expense we'll learn who did the "pointing" shortly.

:whistle:

Another boardie ____________ pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

Thoughts?

Good point. Those were examples, looking at post history tells the whole story. Allow me to elaborate.

I went back and looked at his last 28 PGM threads, after that point there were image resizing issues that skewed the grades. 28 is a good sample size anyways.

Out of those 28 only 24 had more than 2 grades, so I will throw out those 4 examples as they don't prove anything without a semblance of a consensus.

23/24 were ebay overgraded based on the PGM average grade. The exception book was a Preacher # 2 with a 9.7 average from 3 graders that was sold as a 9.6. The average rate of overgrading on all 24 books was a full +1.0. Remove the .2 grade differential books and we are left with19/24 with an overgrade avg of +1.57.

Out of all 28 PGM threads, only 5 times did anyone guess a grade at the ebay grade, with one over on a 9.8 on the Preacher #2

Messy individual PGM/ebay grades in spoiler

PGM average on left, ebay grade on right

DD7 3.6 – 5.0

ASM 33 4.7 – 6.0

FF 40 5.3 – 6.5

FF 87 9.1 - 9.2

Avengers 55 5.5 – 7.5

Captain Marvel 1 4.0 - 5.0

Thor 142 6.5 – 8.0

ASM 49 7.8 – 8.0

X-Men 66 5.1 – 6.5

Batman 200 7.0 – 8.0

Batman 232 8.2 – 9.0

TOS 31 4.4 – 6.0

Iron Man 99 9.0 – 9.4

Iron Man 76 8.1 – 9.2

Iron Man 66 7 – 8.5

Iron Man 30 6.1 – 8.0

Avengers 125 7.8 – 9.0

Captain Marvel 26 8.4 – 9.2

Daredevil 111 7.2 – 8.0

ST 126 3.1 – 3.5

Strange Adventures 205 2.7 – 3.5

Thor 165 7.1 – 8.0

Preacher 2 9.7 – 9.6

JC_coffee.gif

The bottom line for me is that one should keep consistent when stating the grade.

Even if one disagrees with grading appraisals given in the PGM (when there are a few evaluations they can be really off), and even leaving aside one's own grading skills, as you grade it at your own best you should stick with it.

And possibly learn to grade better, right? hm