• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

@Harvey: Obviously I did not mean "intentionally". Have you read what I wrote? And why did you put a "crazy" emoticon at the end of my period?

@Hector: Sorry, I did not seen that reply. Was it edited? I find this one in the thread:

It was a 4.0 average in the grading thread, some had higher and some had lower.

It definitely presents higher than the grade.

Peace,

Chip

@CAHokie: Wow, it seems everyone went on eBay to check. I would have never thought about it. And you are pretty good at being sarcastic, Ben, I would have never guessed it was a sarcastic comment.

Anyway, if you read what I wrote you will understand my point.

Chip is unlikely to chime in, and I think he should, but you have definitely malicious minds, sorry to say. :sick:

PGM Forum: "What do you guys think this book is?"

>>> 8.0

"Yeah, I agree. hm Definitely an 8.0."

Then that person goes and lists it on eBay as a 9.0.

Oh, and when we're back here and someone asks you what the grade is, you say "It's an 8.0"

:idea:

It is difficult to grade a book by scans. As a result, the PGM forum has historically *undergraded* books . This is a well known fact to board members who have been here for a long while. There are psychological reasons involved, too, that needn't be gotten into here.

I agree with this statement.

It's easy to undergrade here to be "safe" and not set expectations too high. Also, there's a hidden pressure to not overgrade in the PGM because you can look bad if you're wrong. I don't post PGMs often. The last one I did got a lot of 8.0s and 8.5s and only one 9.0 assessment. CGC came back with a 9.0. This example illustrates the above.

Another thing to consider is that scans are overly critical of a books condition. What I mean by that is that scans reveal issues that really don't stand out in hand. So a book could look much better in hand than on a scan.

Just my 2c

And for the record I have bought books from Chip once (I think) and had no issues.

One final thought: I think this issue would be much worse if Chip was selling a book here as a 4.0 and then listing it on eBay as a 5.5 (in the previous example). Getting the opinions of others and then making a decision "on the ground" is a different thing in my mind.

Almost always in the same direction, though?

Isn't it a bit telling that he's not attempting to make any of these points in his own behalf? hm

Coming into this thread and commenting will do nothing but toss fuel on the fire. It's just what the big trolls want, right Boboset??

I have no ax to grind and have few interactions with the people involved. Perhaps I'm naive, but I found the behavior surprising and disappointing. That people are defending it is also disappointing.

All people know is to post smiling "smart" icons and stating one is "defending" a bad behavior, which is not the case at all – at best I defend PEOPLE, not behaviors.

Chip has a tongue and so has Bobo: they both can explain either what they meant or how they thought they were grading, and hopefully will do.

Have a nice day, shark-people. :sick:

Everyone can choose to interpret Chips decisions however they see fit. No one is right or wrong in their interpretation because Chip has yet to explain his thought process behind it.

The facts are

he requests grades in the PGM, of which he bumps up for whatever reason.

he posted a book on ebay with a different grade than he gave here when he put it up as a giveaway.

I'm just curious to know why even bother requesting people to grade books when he appears to be more than adept at grading (9th place in grading contest). Does he just add a 1.0 to whatever the average score is there?

Claudio, who has a malicious mind? Despite collecting comics since a kid, I am still learning, especially when it is older titles or comics that I don't know about. I pretty much look up any comic I am not familiar with in the thread, especially when I see people talking about how cool they are. It doesn't mean I want them, it just means I want to know what they are. This time, I just happened to click on the very same comic. How is that bad? (shrug)

I have no ax to grind and have few interactions with the people involved. Perhaps I'm naive, but I found the behavior surprising and disappointing. That people are defending it is also disappointing.

I am disappointed at your disappointment.

Everyone can choose to interpret Chips decisions however they see fit. No one is right or wrong in their interpretation because Chip has yet to explain his thought process behind it.

The facts are

he requests grades in the PGM, of which he bumps up for whatever reason.

he posted a book on ebay with a different grade than he gave here when he put it up as a giveaway.

I'm just curious to know why even bother requesting people to grade books when he appears to be more than adept at grading (9th place in grading contest). Does he just add a 1.0 to whatever the average score is there?

I entirely agree with this, Hector, and that is the part of Bobo's point which I find legitimate. I hope they will both participate, and it would be great if people keep insinuations out of the picture and stick to facts, not just referring to single quoted sentences.

Claudio, who has a malicious mind? Despite collecting comics since a kid, I am still learning, especially when it is older titles or comics that I don't know about. I pretty much look up any comic I am not familiar with in the thread, especially when I see people talking about how cool they are. It doesn't mean I want them, it just means I want to know what they are. This time, I just happened to click on the very same comic. How is that bad? (shrug)

More speaking in general, but you see what I mean from how things frequently go here. :)

@Hector: Sorry, I did not seen that reply. Was it edited? I find this one in the thread:

It was a 4.0 average in the grading thread, some had higher and some had lower.

It definitely presents higher than the grade.

Peace,

Chip

first post after I asked the question, your quote is from when Hokie responded thinking it was higher

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8000324#Post8000324

More speaking in general, but you see what I mean from how things frequently go here. :)

I know, but you have a habit of defending people without knowing the full story. (Not talking about this case) I often think you could find the positive side of a plague, yet you are not willing to give others like Boboset the benefit of the doubt without saying they have a malicious mind? I don't really know him, but he has always seemed like a stand up guy to me.

Where the heck is Chip?

He's not going to comment. If anyone remembers my whole "eBay debacle," the best thing to do is not say a word and let it blow over.

Its like Ryan said, the PGM forum is nothing more than several opinions. No one is under any obligation to agree to anything.

For the record, I've never bought or sold anything to Chip (nor have I sent him anything free lol )

That being said, I have no idea how he grades. But taking PGM comments and then posting another grade, I don't believe that's necessarily shady or scamy. Just means you don't agree.

I asked this earlier but don't think anyone confirmed. Did Chip list a book(s) for sale or in the Giving thread that had a higher grade than was listed on Ebay or was it just through the PGM thread?

No. The opposite.

He listed it in the PGM thread. It got a 3.5/4.0.

He listed it on eBay as a 5.5

While it was listed on eBay, he offered it up in TGT thread. When asked about the grade, w/o hesitation, he stated it was a 4.0 - in direct contradiction of what he had it listed at on eBay (a 5.5).

It's a 4.0 with CR/OW pages. I'll edit the post with that info.

Peace,

Chip