• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If Chip knows about this topic, I would find it interesting that he has not stopped in to address this issue but did stop in long enough to bump his Ebay link thread for the day.

What counts is that he's grading higher on ebay than here and he's promoting his auctions here. It's dishonest and unethical and judging by the number of auctions it's systemic and premeditated.

Sums it up pretty nicely. Although the one thing I will say is there are plenty of members here with plenty of experience/submissions who knowingly overgrade books raw here and on the bay so it is a common practice.

He just happens to have amazingly created documentable evidence that he does it. :facepalm:

In the Giving Tree thread, Chip Cataldo posted a Strange Tales #115 that he graded 4.0. Another boardie pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

So I did a little bit of digging. Huge grade bumps from PGM to eBay and there are a LOT of examples. Here are some:

PGM: DD 7 3.5 and he said "that's about what I had it pegged at". --------------------- ebay 5.0

PGM: Avengers 55 5.5/6.0 ------------------- ebay 7.5

PGM: Captain Marvel 1 4.0 ------------------ ebay 5.0

PGM: Captain Marvel 26 8.5 --------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: Iron Man 30 6.0 ------------------- ebay 8.0

PGM: Iron Man 76 8.0 ------------------- ebay 9.2

PGM: TOS 31 4.5 ----------------- ebay 6.0

PGM: FF 74 4.5 ------------------ ebay 7.0

PGM: ASM 33 4.5 ------------------- ebay 6.0

Look at any of his other PGM and you'll almost certainly see a hefty grade bump when placed on ebay.

To me, it looks like purposefully overgrading for a higher wining bid. What makes it worse is that's he advertises directly through this site.

I had a thought that maybe the grade disparity was due to undergrading in the PGM sub-forum. Not so. Why list the ST115 here as a 4.0 and on ebay as a 5.5? Or the DD 7, where he agrees with the 3.5 average but posts it on ebay as a 5.0? It reeks of serial overgrading.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's a marketplace issue truthfully, outing him as knowingly overstating grades on e-bay doesn't look good at all ...I don't think there's anything actionable other than sharing what you found to warn others.

You did that & Chip obviously is doing some things wrong, his only defense is that he starts his auctions at a low price. On e-bay grade/price go hand in hand, I usually ignore what a seller quotes & look at scans anyways. That still doesn't make him right.

I personally think this is just TGT butthurt carrying over to here. There seems to have been a pattern of judging Chip and Chip's offers harshly, one or more people over there have been continuing to take a keen interest in his participation in that thread since the beginning.

I'm sure people are busy cleaning up their e-bay history, post history, squaring up charitable history, photobuckets, facebooks, etc...so that they can come over to participate The Giving Tree thread, give away a book (as per PGM results) only to have it get researched enough to blow up in their faces like this has for Chip.

Surely with all of this disclosure at Chip's expense we'll learn who did the "pointing" shortly.

:whistle:

Another boardie ____________ pointed out to me that he had this same book listed on ebay as a 5.5.

No disrespect to those that are honestly invested in trying to make the trading threads work, but it really does seem like it's the same 10-15 people who are in a constant state of butthurt over them. I'm a little tired of seeing these silly PIF/TGT/Trading thread vendettas spill over into the other areas around here.

Random question from a noob. Why would someone who would appear to be adept at grading ask for other people to grade his comics?

I'm not trying to imply anything, just curious. I always assumed that forum was for newer people who need help with grading.

I may have misread the topic. Certainly, a person doesn't need to agree with the grading in the PGM thread. Afterall, folks are garding from a front and back cover scan normally. Without the book in hand, it is difficult to offer an accurate garde.

If one is posting higher grades in a selling venue than offered in the PGM thread, I personally see no overt outright fault; however, I thought there was a book or books offered here either in a sales thread or the Giving thread that was expressed as a higher grade on Ebay than was expressed here.

If that was the case, I do find that unpalatable but again, Ithere may be an explanation and something I am missing.

I bought a pair of Nikes for $600 US.

They ended up being fake. Paypal gave me my money back and said the seller never contacted them and to keep the fake shoes.

These are the most high quality fake Nike's I've ever come across, but they are fakes.

Can I sell them here to cover the Duty I had to pay? or nah?

Thanks forum sales discussion area.

They ended up being fake. Paypal gave me my money back and said the seller never contacted them and to keep the fake shoes.

These are the most high quality fake Nike's I've ever come across, but they are fakes.

Depends on what size they are and how "cool" they look. lol

I post books in the PGM for my education and for a second opinion

I also post most books that I am submitting to Cgc to give those of us grading some feedback on our grading vs Cgc

Makes sense. Never thought about it like that. Thanks.

If you sell them to a US boardie, you can actually file to recover your duty/taxes when exporting. - however it may be more trouble than it's worth since US Customs is much more strict in protecting trademarked/copyrighted items at time of importation......if they inspected & saw the shoes were knockoffs, they seize them.

Also, I'd say 'no' to selling them here publicly. :D

What the hell are you people talking about?

If you think spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on pulp and ink is ridiculous, then doing the same on sneakers will blow your mind.

As long as no one is collecting socks...