• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

There is a consensus that sellers can ask whatever they want for a book, whatever their reasons, and the market will decide what it can bear. The issue of grade, however, is separate and has more to do with transparency.

If you are selling a book and it has issues which you know (at the very least) you would consider significant to a buyer, than please share the info, "golden rule" style.

As a follow up point, I don't think the classic grade point system is the only way to satisfy this need for transparency. I prefer it, I think most prefer it, but it is perhaps more significant in the online context, as a short hand for various condition issues.

If we all had to buy books from each other in person, precise grades might never come up in a conversation. If I'm inspecting the book first hand, the seller might say "here you go, its a solid midgrade" and I'd check it out for myself. Whether they think its a 6.5 and I think its a 5.0 might never come up in the conversation, if I otherwise like the book and the price is acceptable. 2c

As a follow up point, I don't think the classic grade point system is the only way to satisfy this need for transparency. I prefer it, I think most prefer it, but it is perhaps more significant in the online context, as a short hand for various condition issues.

If we all had to buy books from each other in person, precise grades might never come up in a conversation. If I'm inspecting the book first hand, the seller might say "here you go, its a solid midgrade" and I'd check it out for myself. Whether they think its a 6.5 and I think its a 5.0 might never come up in the conversation, if I otherwise like the book and the price is acceptable. 2c

In all the face to face deals I've done with other collectors, we're almost never able to come to an agreement on exact grade. We almost always come to an agreement on price.

You make a very solid argument here.

I wish I was joking...there seems to be a fair number of people who price that way...i.e., they anchor pricing primarily based on their cost, rather than on the condition (and FMV) of the book. My comment was a jab at that pricing policy (and an implicit jab at pricing without stating a grade...I'm with you on that one rantrant )

If I based my asking price on cost plus "x" %, and stated the graded clearly, would that be alright? :)

I agree with this. I know its subjective and not everyone will feel the same on a grade or a sales tactic. But If someone makes a thread with either multiple copies of an issue or does one of the 100+ thumbnails in one post with no grades, its super tiresome to look through and have to guess wildly at grades. At least toss me a guideline so I don't have to waste all my time inspecting every dam pic.

"Nice Presenting Midgrade" or 'reader copy' or 'stunner', or 'all are VFish or higher"

People buy for all kinds of reasons: completionist, display, reading, registry, high grade, wall, love of character/cover, artist preference, long term investment, short term investment, and a combination thereof. Why not give the best information you can (in good faith of course) to have the best chance to appeal as many aspects of the market as possible?

Do people lose more money over grading arguments than they do over lost sales from no posted grades? I guess there's no way to know. But honestly, if a person really thinks that, they probably need to practice their grading or have a better return policy.

Of course, everyone is free to use whatever tactic/style they want provided they follow the rules. I guess I'm just curious why the uptick in not providing grades, and potential for abuse by less than scrupulous sellers.

Edited by Revat

If I based my asking price on cost plus "x" %, and stated the graded clearly, would that be alright? :)

You're conflating two separate issues that I (thought I) was keeping separate.

At its core, my comment was a plausible response to someone's question about how a seller can price a book without grading it. My point was that if a seller takes a cost + % pricing approach, they can easily price a book without grading it, by definition.

However you price your books...whether (1) cost + %, (2) condition + FMV, or (3) some combination of cost + % + condition + FMV, it would indeed be alright by me if you also provided your grade assessment.

:)

Scrubbed.

Someone complained that the book was just sold in Heritage's March auction and they were the underbidder and "next time just let me win!" :cry:

Hopefully the response was "Next time bid more, ."