• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I've seen scans on the forums where someone calls a book a VF/NM, and it looks more like a Fine to me. I've seen the opposite as well. Like others have said, it's such a subjective thing. I think I'm a reasonable grader, but when I'm looking at my books to assign a ballpark grade, I'm not using a measuring tape and a magnifying glass. It's just not that critical to me. I look through the book for missing pages, clipped coupons, or giant rips/tears. Beyond that, I don't have the time or inclination to dig deeper.

Post big(ish) scans, maybe give a range (4.5-5.5) and call it a day. Unless you miss some huge issue, your buyer will probably not make too much of a stink about a tiny difference of opinion in grade. At least, I know I won't.

Over the years, I've returned exactly one book to the seller. If you sell me a 7.5 and I think it's a 6.5 in hand, I'll just deal with it. The only reason I returned the one book is the seller clearly shipped me a substitute. Staples were in the wrong place, and the cover was WAY miswrapped.

Bottom line, be reasonable with the assigning of grades, or don't assign one at all and let the pictures do the talking. As a buyer, I'm cool either way. If I make an assumption on grade, it was my own doing, not yours.

I've seen scans on the forums where someone calls a book a VF/NM, and it looks more like a Fine to me. I've seen the opposite as well. Like others have said, it's such a subjective thing. I think I'm a reasonable grader, but when I'm looking at my books to assign a ballpark grade, I'm not using a measuring tape and a magnifying glass. It's just not that critical to me. I look through the book for missing pages, clipped coupons, or giant rips/tears. Beyond that, I don't have the time or inclination to dig deeper.

Post big(ish) scans, maybe give a range (4.5-5.5) and call it a day. Unless you miss some huge issue, your buyer will probably not make too much of a stink about a tiny difference of opinion in grade. At least, I know I won't.

Over the years, I've returned exactly one book to the seller. If you sell me a 7.5 and I think it's a 6.5 in hand, I'll just deal with it. The only reason I returned the one book is the seller clearly shipped me a substitute. Staples were in the wrong place, and the cover was WAY miswrapped.

Bottom line, be reasonable with the assigning of grades, or don't assign one at all and let the pictures do the talking. As a buyer, I'm cool either way. If I make an assumption on grade, it was my own doing, not yours.

I do agree, although substantial defects must be stated, e.g. detached staples…

Absolutely. Anything that isn't obvious in the pictures. Interior tears, water damage, missing pages, coupons cut out, whatever it may be.

I get this, and all the other arguments for not putting a grade, but doesn't a seller almost have to grade in order to figure out a price? I know I'd be more inclined to consider buying if I had the pictures AND the grade. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I would think more business/money is lost from lack of information than is lost by returns from grading disagreements.

Of course its ultimately a marketing decision preference and up to the seller how they want to sell, I guess I'm just surprised that this trend of non-posting grades is starting to catch on.

Although to be fair, I would have guessed the pre-sale "my books are graded and will be here next week, but I have to post them for sale right now because I can't possibly keep them in my house for more than 1 day but you can claim it pending scan" wouldn't be as popular as it is either. Unless its a blazing new modern, or a movie announcement was just made, I never really understand what the hurry is. I know most businesses want to turn over inventory as quickly as possible, and get cash in hand ASAP, but if you're waiting for the books to show pictures and to mail out, and won't accept payment til then, I don't know how much is gained pre-selling. Although I guess not much is lost either....

I guess I'm kind of just a simpleton of selling books, by taking a picture of the book I have, assigning a grade (as best I can) and a price (based on the grade), and posting that information in the sales thread, trying to make it as easy as I can for the buyer.

Yes, I believe it is because grading is subjective, and they don't want to get into an argument/discussion about it. I say it's a VG+ and someone buys it and thinks it's a VG-, so there is trouble there. Post a picture without a grade and you really can't argue about that, unless there is undisclosed issues.

Having said that, I still prefer scans WITH a grade.

II don't understand the no picture thing. Maybe on $1 books and even then I'd do a group shot, but on high $$ books?

I saw one before from an old time seller with pictures and estimated grades/no returns...on raw books.

t's not that hard, take a picture, post a grade, say if you are on the fence, offer returns...it's work, but it works.

Years ago on the eBay chat board an esteemed member gave this advice: Offer returns with no questions asked and refund postage in both directions. You will gain sales from people who are reassured by your policy and provided you are decent grader you won't have many returns.

I don't sell that much, but when I do, that's my policy.

Absolutely. Nothing worse than a dealer who only gives a grade and says when called on a defect, "Tape, rusty staples, detached cover, or whatever, is allowed in that grade."

Well, actually, I guess there are some things worse. :D

Edited by Sqeggs

I get this, and all the other arguments for not putting a grade, but doesn't a seller almost have to grade in order to figure out a price? I know I'd be more inclined to consider buying if I had the pictures AND the grade. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I would think more business/money is lost from lack of information than is lost by returns from grading disagreements.

Of course its ultimately a marketing decision preference and up to the seller how they want to sell, I guess I'm just surprised that this trend of non-posting grades is starting to catch on.

I guess I'm kind of just a simpleton of selling books, by taking a picture of the book I have, assigning a grade (as best I can) and a price (based on the grade), and posting that information in the sales thread, trying to make it as easy as I can for the buyer.

I'm not even close to disagreeing with you. I'm coming in from the buyer's perspective. If you tell me you're selling Book A for $B, I'm going to assign my ballpark grade to it, then look at either the OSPG, or completed ebay sales data to get an idea of where I want to be on the buying side.

I'd much rather deal with sellers like you that provide me a grade, or at least a defined grade range. On the other hand, I buy from plenty of people that don't assign grades, just because there are much more sellers that don't want to give a grade, and get a $9 book returned because the buyer thinks it's VF+ instead of VF/NM. It's all case by case.

One thing is for certain. If you have dealt with the same sellers multiple times like most of us have, you grow to trust their judgement on grading. One seller on this board has offered me books, and I've committed to buy them before he even sends me scans, just because I know how he grades, and I trust his opinion.

I guess my point is I understand sellers that provide grades, and sellers that don't. I'm okay with it either way, because I have control over what I buy. If a seller completely disallows returns, you're probably better off avoiding them anyway. Small things give me reassurance, or reticence, depending.

Can people stop buying from people who don't post grades in sales threads so that more people will post grades in sales threads? (I'm aware that just pics/scans are enough per the rules.) I just don't understand why otherwise knowledgeable experienced sellers won't post an estimated grade? Are there that many disputes and returns? Or just that many people who don't care? And I feel like its getting worse, and people just keep on buying....

I know I personally just assume its a VF (or worse) and that's why no grade is posted. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

That is all.

Thanks.

I ignore grades posted by the seller and always make my own assessment. So I am indifferent to whether they post a grade or not.

Of course, having both a scan and a grade is best...however, if I can only have one, I would much rather see a scan with no grade than a grade with no scan.

Of course, in the case of a scan with no grade, I still expect the seller to tell me about any noteworthy defects, especially if I can't see them in the scan.

Out of courtesy I will always ask permission to share information I receive in a PM....but that's me. CGC moderation has access to all PM's, and they probably should. It's pretty easy for me to determine what should be left to discretion, but, like with almost all message boards, there are going to be the resident sociopaths ..... luckily, it's not too hard to spot them. As for Hector, I can't think of anyone less deserving of this than he....but no one deserves to get shagged by some opportunistic Rumpeloader. It would be nice, and something I plan on doing, to toss a couple freebees in the next time Hector purchases something.... to help soften the blow. Chicago ain't cheap and a hundred fifty clams can especially hurt in a place like that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

thanks for the kind words Jimbo, but really not necessary. I choose to make this decision, so I take full responsibility in not using better judgment

Hector, I hope you don't wait and contact your credit card company now. It might actually push PP to do something if they hear from the CC co.

Re PMs, we know this is a privately held message board, so they pretty much own everything, but Arch has on occasion said they don't "normally" and I'm paraphrasing, look at pms unless both parties agree. Doesn't mean they can't.

Paid with Paypal balance not CC

Same thing I did with AjaxFarrel ... :tonofbricks::sorry:

Sucker

:roflmao:

I have to win your Mystery Box again next year if only to get your love note messages. lol

there was more than one?

If a seller can't assign a grade when the book is right in front of them -- how should I from a thousand miles away? (shrug)

And if they can't assign a grade, am I to be confident in their ability to recognize defects? :sumo:

And if they can't assign a grade, am I to assume that they pulled the asking price out of the air? rantrant

If a seller can't assign a grade when the book is right in front of them -- how should I from a thousand miles away? (shrug)

And if they can't assign a grade, am I to be confident in their ability to recognize defects? :sumo:

And if they can't assign a grade, am I to assume that they pulled the asking price out of the air? rantrant

This is pretty much where I'm at?

Therefore I will generally pass automatically

Cost + markup %, regardless what the grade is (shrug)rantrantrantrant

Can't tell if joking.....

....he's being serious..... and it's a valid point. A lot of eBayers don't grade.... so I guess I'm used to it.... but, I, too, prefer a grade and scan.....with mention of notable defects. GOD BLESS....

I wish I was joking...there seems to be a fair number of people who price that way...i.e., they anchor pricing primarily based on their cost, rather than on the condition (and FMV) of the book. My comment was a jab at that pricing policy (and an implicit jab at pricing without stating a grade...I'm with you on that one rantrant )

for example, there's some in modern selling multiple copies of a comic. One that isn't easy to find, one that I think might draw some interest. he's selling 15 copies. Got a picture of ONE of them posted. White cover on white background. NO GRADES. But you know its not 9.8 because he says he slabbed other ones from the same convention, so there's no good reason he wouldn't have slabbed these if they were 9.8. Why are they all the same price? Are they the same grade? Don't know, he doesn't say. And he wonders why no one's buying.

for example, there's some in modern selling multiple copies of a comic. One that isn't easy to find, one that I think might draw some interest. he's selling 15 copies. Got a picture of ONE of them posted. White cover on white background. NO GRADES. But you know its not 9.8 because he says he slabbed other ones from the same convention, so there's no good reason he wouldn't have slabbed these if they were 9.8. Why are they all the same price? Are they the same grade? Don't know, he doesn't say. And he wonders why no one's buying.

...not familiar with the listing, but the seller may just need to move these more quickly..... and the price to slab 15 more books, coupled with the turnaround period could easily be the reason they're still raw......it's not always deceptive or nefarious. GOD BLESS...

...not familiar with the listing, but the seller may just need to move these more quickly..... and the price to slab 15 more books, coupled with the turnaround period could easily be the reason they're still raw......it's not always deceptive or nefarious. GOD BLESS...

I don't think for a second that it's nefarious . Just bad marketing imo

I wish I was joking...there seems to be a fair number of people who price that way...i.e., they anchor pricing primarily based on their cost, rather than on the condition (and FMV) of the book. My comment was a jab at that pricing policy (and an implicit jab at pricing without stating a grade...I'm with you on that one rantrant )

If I based my asking price on cost plus "x" %, and stated the graded clearly, would that be alright? :)