• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

With sympathies to Gambit, but this whole pending scans thing is really throwing off a clear sale. Sellers ought to put a FC and BC up immediately when selling a 1K book or above. Ugh.

It just opens up that whole bookmarking a book instead of outright buying it.

Dan

I agree....clearly following all the selling guidelines and clearly listing all required terms and taking the time to provide clear scans of pricey books avoids a ton of heartache.

Also it makes a seller's life easier...buyers will, or will not, buy a book without all the extra running around scanning, PMing, answering questions, getting half-take-its, and waiting around to get confirmation.

The quickest way to a final sale is giving a buyer everything he needs to make a decision and erases all doubt from the beginning.

Let the record show the seller is a pre 2013 boardie (signed up 2007)

This for everyone who likes to say how the newer members are the cause of all the drama here

Facebook! Instagram!! FarmersOnly!!! Grrrrrr

This for everyone who likes to say how the newer members are the cause of all the drama here

You don't have to be lonely... :foryou:

^^

Dan

With sympathies to Gambit, but this whole pending scans thing is really throwing off a clear sale. Sellers ought to put a FC and BC up immediately when selling a 1K book or above. Ugh.

It just opens up that whole bookmarking a book instead of outright buying it.

Dan

Or ask for a back cover scan and then make a decision to take it.

The only purpose of taking it pending a scan is to try to take it off of the market while one decides if it is what they want. :sumo:

Point being missed is, deal was agreed on pending pics , then sold hours (day) later to someone else PENDING PIC AS WELL , (who obviously offered a better deal) after the fact

That's where the problem lies :sumo:

We totally get it, but anytime you buy something pending anything, you allow there to be a loophole. Sounds like the seller is a "peach" based on the way he handled it and his statement but it would be unlikely to be PL worthy which was not your plan anyway. Your goal was to let others know, and I have no doubt people have taken note about the seller.

The problem with conditional offers is that there really is nothing in it for the seller.

Sure you can nail down a price that would work for both of you but the buyer hasn't committed to anything.

Unless both parties are committed has an agreement been reached?

If a seller agrees to hold a book without any commitment from a buyer shouldn't the seller be free to change his mind (just as the seller is free to walk with the back cover as an excuse)?

The problem with conditional offers is that there really is nothing in it for the seller.

Sure you can nail down a price that would work for both of you but the buyer hasn't committed to anything.

Unless both parties are committed has an agreement been reached?

If a seller agrees to hold a book without any commitment from a buyer shouldn't the seller be free to change his mind (just as the seller is free to walk with the back cover as an excuse)?

I agree. The I'll take it, pending anything, entitles you to nothing.

Not sure where I should post this, but I have a few questions for Hulk1962 based on somethings he has been posting that don't add up for me.

So I am posing here hoping Hulk1962 can provide some clarity without muddying other threads. I sent him a PM giving him a head's up so he can address

To Hulk1962:

You think my profile is fake and so are the comics that I own.....well think what you want to think I know I own the comics (The X-Men #1 was purchased on comiclink in November of 2014: link http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3909%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=1029768 and the Hulk 1 and JIM 83 where just purchased on ebay in the last 2 weeks......go look it up).

Above is an excerpt of your post 8/16/15 ( link to thread where original post is ):

I just have a few questions that I would love for you to clear up:

There is no GPA record of a JIM 83 in 6.0 since June, definitely not within two weeks of the post you made. There are only two sales in 2015 in GPA, June and March. The picture you have in your tag line is too small for me to discern the CGC #, but I would be curious to see that it matches. Maybe you just mixed up your timeline... :shrug:

Can you share a new picture (not cropping of scan from selling source) of the JIM 83 CGC # close-up on the book?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hulk 1 4.5 purchase you are referencing is even more curious as the same book sold twice on eBay within two days (8/9/15 and 8/11/15)... It also shows up twice in GPA with the same serial number sold on the same day for $500 difference (both show sales on 8/11/15). The timing fits your description but the double sale is a little weird.

Can you share a new picture (not cropping of scan from eBay) of the Hulk 1 CGC # close-up on the book?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, you claim to own the X-men 1 9.2 in your first post above, but it isn't in your sig line... Did you sell it?

Weirder is that you claim to own the book in the above post, but then say you don't own the book in any grade in this other thread discussion with Jaydog... FYI - your response was to his assertion that "you already own a high grade XM1 and were looking for validation." Are you embarrassed of what you paid? Do you own the book or not?

Jaydogrules

No I do not own a X-Men #1 in any grade just defending it like I would anything I have a passion for and think it is worth defending. I have been out of collecting comics for a few years and just came back to the hobby my other passion is vintage baseball cards I love the history of it and such players as Shoeless Joe Jackson and Babe Ruth. I live in Canada but my hearth as sports goes in in the good old U.S.A. My main collecting focus was cards the last I would say 5 years or so and still is.

The post is from December 2014 ( link to thread ) one month after the sale you reference originally...

Can you help clear these questions up for me?

Reposting this. I reached out via PM to Hulk1962 and he removed himself from the PM without replying. Hopefully he will respond in this thread to clear this up.

What do you hope to learn from this?

I think this person is misrepresenting themselves in more ways than one. I am not as good as a detective as some other boardies, but others have called out that there is something just not right here. I would like him to clear up some of these simple questions. If I am wrong, then there will be simple answers.

I think people on the boards should know if someone has been dishonest like this before interacting with them beyond a simple conversational level.

This.

Why do you care if he's lying about owning some books? Unless he's trying to sell them, obviously.

+ a bajillion. Who cares?

I get it, you don't care unless money gets involved.

If he doesn't want to respond and no one cares I won't push it further here.

I just thought some clarity would be good before deals do start to happen.

Edited by rfoiii

This.

Why do you care if he's lying about owning some books? Unless he's trying to sell them, obviously.

It does reflect on a person if they are caught bragging about things they haven't done or don't own, that is one thing yes, but it is very definitely different if money is involved.

I understand you are trying to be proactive, but my fear is that this will amount to gossip and hearsay, and I'm not sure the person in question is really obligated to submit to questioning here. (shrug)

Nope, you don't. Lying is a bigger deal for me than a deal gone bad, but I read the threads and still can't figure out WTF is going on. Looks like he replied to you but your posts are no where to be found.

He hasn't replied to these questions, he has ignored everything and stated he doesn't have to respond to me.

In this instance I have specific questions, posted them here for simple responses in an effort to clear it up. This is much easier than trying to go through all the back and forth where he has provided very suspect replies. He has already left the PM I sent asking for clarity, so if he isn't lieing this should be a simple exercise.

Right?

This.

It does reflect on a person if they are caught bragging about things they haven't done or don't own, that is one thing yes, but it is very definitely different if money is involved.

I understand you are trying to be proactive, but my fear is that this will amount to gossip and hearsay, and I'm not sure the person in question is really obligated to submit to questioning here. (shrug)

No one is obligated to do anything. :shrug:

His choice whether or not he wants to clear it up and this is a better place than a new thread or an existing one. If this is the wrong thread, I can take it somewhere else. Watercooler or Comics General maybe?

He has already chosen to ignore a PM, which is a red flag to me.

But you are right, he doesn't have to do anything.

Edited by rfoiii

I think this person is misrepresenting themselves in more ways than one. I am not as good as a detective as some other boardies, but others have called out that there is something just not right here. I would like him to clear up some of these simple questions. If I am wrong, then there will be simple answers.

I think people on the boards should know if someone has been dishonest like this before interacting with them beyond a simple conversational level.

I think a lot of people are guilty of this, heck I could be accused of this myself for having the JsilverJanet name and actually being Hector.

While this is the General Discussion thread, it's really more the General SALES Discussion thread. Hence why most of the audience doesn't see it the same way you do.