• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

The innocent 'congrats' is innocent enough, even if it does bump threads unnecessarily enough in a place where real estate space is already in short supply.

But there is a difference between saying 'congrats' and someone undermining a sale (as Chris said, it can be done with malicious intent or just through being socially inept, which seems to be common among comic nerds, me included) is an entirely different thing.

And it has happened with malice and it does happen. It's a real thing.

Yes, it happens. It is not the majority of the 'congrats'

I'm not sure what your point is that you are debating.

'Congrats' is innocent and innocuous, except for uselessly bumping sales threads.

'Man that was a steal' is entirely unproductive and shouldn't be posted in someone's sales thread after an item was purchased.

To large to quote.

The "talk" is just talk. Any seller knows the best deal is the one in front of them. Any honourable seller knows they have a deal in front of them that needs to be completed.

What would I think of all the comments at a convention? I would think they're either jealous or just talking. How many times does a seller hear that someone will buy and never does?

My comments are about "if the deal falls through then I'll take it". The "great deal" comments may be "tits on a bull". I have done it a few times lately just to inflate my post count. I didn't know there were hidden meanings attached. Does "congrats to the buyer and seller" also have some hidden meaning?

lol

People interfering with a deal is never right. You know if someone did that to you you'd have a problem with it.

Honorable sellers are wonderful things and to be treasured. Whiny man-babies who try to fudge up your deal, because their mommy said they were special so they should get all the deals, aren't and it's ok to call someone out on behavior that could have a negative impact on a deal. That's true whether they meant to mess up the deal or are just too inept socially to not stick their nose into a deal.

And you're smart enough to know the difference between a global "congrats" and "oh man, that was so under-priced" type comments.

If you want to know what I would have a problem with you simply need to ask. Assuming intent and interpretation is where we're at now?

You don't seem like a shrinking violet to me, especially with the verve you display in debates and in some of the effective contrary points taken in certain discussions. Maybe that was a wrong assumption.

You buy and sell comics all the time. It's counter-intuitive to believe that you'd have no problem with someone trying to throw a monkey wrench into a deal or trying to step in and take something that's yours.

So I'll just ask you then. Do you have a problem with someone interfering with a deal you've made? Would you be annoyed and want to prevent someone from taking something that was yours?

Seems like questions we don't have to ask anyone, ever, but since you won't stipulate we'll get it on the record.

To large to quote.

The "talk" is just talk. Any seller knows the best deal is the one in front of them. Any honourable seller knows they have a deal in front of them that needs to be completed.

What would I think of all the comments at a convention? I would think they're either jealous or just talking. How many times does a seller hear that someone will buy and never does?

My comments are about "if the deal falls through then I'll take it". The "great deal" comments may be "tits on a bull". I have done it a few times lately just to inflate my post count. I didn't know there were hidden meanings attached. Does "congrats to the buyer and seller" also have some hidden meaning?

lol

People interfering with a deal is never right. You know if someone did that to you you'd have a problem with it.

Honorable sellers are wonderful things and to be treasured. Whiny man-babies who try to fudge up your deal, because their mommy said they were special so they should get all the deals, aren't and it's ok to call someone out on behavior that could have a negative impact on a deal. That's true whether they meant to mess up the deal or are just too inept socially to not stick their nose into a deal.

And you're smart enough to know the difference between a global "congrats" and "oh man, that was so under-priced" type comments.

I'm smart enough to not try and determine a person's intent without asking them. (thumbs u

Hopefully smart enough that asking a person their intent is only accurate if they are honest. Actions lie far less than words.

The quickest way to make someone dishonest is to treat them as if they are.

The answer you'll get from an honest person and a liar, if you ask them if they are dishonest, is the same answer.

The innocent 'congrats' is innocent enough, even if it does bump threads unnecessarily enough in a place where real estate space is already in short supply.

But there is a difference between saying 'congrats' and someone undermining a sale (as Chris said, it can be done with malicious intent or just through being socially inept, which seems to be common among comic nerds, me included) is an entirely different thing.

And it has happened with malice and it does happen. It's a real thing.

Yes, it happens. It is not the majority of the 'congrats'

I'm not sure what your point is that you are debating.

'Congrats' is innocent and innocuous, except for uselessly bumping sales threads.

'Man that was a steal' is entirely unproductive and shouldn't be posted in someone's sales thread after an item was purchased.

I am just inflating post count, as usual. It is less productive when you are responding. ;)

It seems "Man that was a steal" can be interpreted as both positive and negative. Some dealers like the reputation of giving deals.

To large to quote.

lol

I'm smart enough to not try and determine a person's intent without asking them. (thumbs u

Hopefully smart enough that asking a person their intent is only accurate if they are honest. Actions lie far less than words.

The answer you'll get from an honest person and a liar, if you ask them if they are dishonest, is the same answer.

Is there a name change in your future, Confucius?

To large to quote.

lol

Did you have Chinese food last night?

To large to quote.

lol

If you want to know what I would have a problem with you simply need to ask. Assuming intent and interpretation is where we're at now?

You don't seem like a shrinking violet to me, especially with the verve you display in debates and in some of the effective contrary points taken in certain discussions. Maybe that was a wrong assumption.

You buy and sell comics all the time. It's counter-intuitive to believe that you'd have no problem with someone trying to throw a monkey wrench into a deal or trying to step in and take something that's yours.

So I'll just ask you then. Do you have a problem with someone interfering with a deal you've made? Would you be annoyed and want to prevent someone from taking something that was yours?

Seems like questions we don't have to ask anyone, ever, but since you won't stipulate we'll get it on the record.

Simply... bumpity... :bump:

Your questions only apply by assuming intent. I don't see the vast majority as interfering. I certainly don't see them as taking anything from me.

Can you actually see the silver bells and cockle shells from your window?

Your questions only apply by assuming intent. I don't see the vast majority as interfering. I certainly don't see them as taking anything from me.

Do you find it hard to trust in general?

He's former law enforcement and a lawyer.

I'm not but I still agree that after seeing things happen in life that the comments serve no real practical purpose. Even if the people making the comments are not trying to undermine the deal the only other purpose they can serve is to make a buyer feel bad about the sale.

I find trust is an achievement, to be earned, and not a gift, to be given away.

Let's hope not. :)

The completely innocent "congratulations" posts have already begun.

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

"OH MAN!!! I woulda paid more!!! LET ME KNOW IF THE DEAL FALLS THROUGH!!"

I don't see the problem with that but apparently it ruffles feathers.

I guess people see it as an invitation for the seller to seek a better offer than has already been accepted. Trying to slip in front of the buyer by waving money around.

I don't read it that way, but a more cynical (or less naive perhaps) person might.

It's a classless move.

Someone sells something and then a crowd forms and starts spouting out about 'wow, that was freaking really good deal!' or 'wow that went cheap!'.

To me it's like rubbing the seller's nose in the fact that he left too much money on the table.

Gotcha! I always saw it like Bird. Possibly tempting the seller to flake on the deal. I tend to be quite happy with my sales price whether it's a deal or not. I would like to know other possible buyers.

Bird was being just a touch facetious.

Uh, no I wasn't. Don't speak for me please.

And it is this philosophical difference that keeps us at odds.

Let's hope not. :)

The completely innocent "congratulations" posts have already begun.

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

"OH MAN!!! I woulda paid more!!! LET ME KNOW IF THE DEAL FALLS THROUGH!!"

I don't see the problem with that but apparently it ruffles feathers.

I guess people see it as an invitation for the seller to seek a better offer than has already been accepted. Trying to slip in front of the buyer by waving money around.

I don't read it that way, but a more cynical (or less naive perhaps) person might.

It's a classless move.

Someone sells something and then a crowd forms and starts spouting out about 'wow, that was freaking really good deal!' or 'wow that went cheap!'.

To me it's like rubbing the seller's nose in the fact that he left too much money on the table.

Gotcha! I always saw it like Bird. Possibly tempting the seller to flake on the deal. I tend to be quite happy with my sales price whether it's a deal or not. I would like to know other possible buyers.

Bird was being just a touch facetious.

Uh, no I wasn't. Don't speak for me please.

He can't help it.

And it is this philosophical difference that keeps us at odds.

Wait, so you implicitly trust everyone first?