• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Let's hope not. :)

The completely innocent "congratulations" posts have already begun.

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

"OH MAN!!! I woulda paid more!!! LET ME KNOW IF THE DEAL FALLS THROUGH!!"

I don't see the problem with that but apparently it ruffles feathers.

I guess people see it as an invitation for the seller to seek a better offer than has already been accepted. Trying to slip in front of the buyer by waving money around.

I don't read it that way, but a more cynical (or less naive perhaps) person might.

It's a classless move.

Someone sells something and then a crowd forms and starts spouting out about 'wow, that was freaking really good deal!' or 'wow that went cheap!'.

To me it's like rubbing the seller's nose in the fact that he left too much money on the table.

Gotcha! I always saw it like Bird. Possibly tempting the seller to flake on the deal. I tend to be quite happy with my sales price whether it's a deal or not. I would like to know other possible buyers.

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

I guess people see it as an invitation for the seller to seek a better offer than has already been accepted. Trying to slip in front of the buyer by waving money around.

I don't read it that way, but a more cynical (or less naive perhaps) person might.

It's a classless move.

Someone sells something and then a crowd forms and starts spouting out about 'wow, that was freaking really good deal!' or 'wow that went cheap!'.

To me it's like rubbing the seller's nose in the fact that he left too much money on the table.

Gotcha! I always saw it like Bird. Possibly tempting the seller to flake on the deal. I tend to be quite happy with my sales price whether it's a deal or not. I would like to know other possible buyers.

Bird was being just a touch facetious.

Those comments achieve one or more of several possible ends, whether intentional or otherwise...

1)* Seller feels awesome that he sold the book despite several people telling him he's left phat stax o' cheddahhh on the table.

2) Seller feels like he just made a huge error in pricing, giving him remorse instantly.

3) Seller feels like he just made a huge error in pricing, making him begin to try and find a way to negate the sale

4) Other potential Buyers (be it the ones who posted in the thread or otherwise) see there is still "meat on the bone" and move to contact the seller, offering them more than the original sales price

5) Original buyer sees the posts and gets pain in pit of his stomach, because this is comics and this ALWAYS HAPPENS IN COMICS (and business), that someone can and is conspiring to DRINK HIS MILKSHAKE!!

Nothing...NOTHING...good comes from waving it in a seller's face that he under-priced an item. The least impact is a bad feeling and perception of a poor experience for the seller and the largest impact is a straight up leverage point to breach of the deal.

*I've never met anyone who feels good about underselling, ever...even if they say they are.

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

It's a classless move.

Those comments achieve one or more of several possible ends, whether intentional or otherwise...

1)* Seller feels awesome that he sold the book despite several people telling him he's left phat stax o' cheddahhh on the table.

2) Seller feels like he just made a huge error in pricing, giving him remorse instantly.

3) Seller feels like he just made a huge error in pricing, making him begin to try and find a way to negate the sale

4) Other potential Buyers (be it the ones who posted in the thread or otherwise) see there is still "meat on the bone" and move to contact the seller, offering them more than the original sales price

5) Original buyer sees the posts and gets pain in pit of his stomach, because this is comics and this ALWAYS HAPPENS IN COMICS (and business), that someone can and is conspiring to DRINK HIS MILKSHAKE!!

Nothing...NOTHING...good comes from waving it in a seller's face that he under-priced an item. The least impact is a bad feeling and perception of a poor experience for the seller and the largest impact is a straight up leverage point to breach of the deal.

*I've never met anyone who feels good about underselling, ever...even if they say they are.

I find it interesting that ever since your vacation last summer you see the world so black and white.

Never say never

When I get asked what my best price is I say "more than I paid".

Next comes:

"What a steal! PM sent!"

And

It's a classless move.

I find it interesting that ever since your vacation last summer you see the world so black and white.

Never say never

When I get asked what my best price is I say "more than I paid".

Having several possible outcomes to a scenario doesn't seem very black, or white... lol

I've been dealing in comics since the mid-80's. It's a lot like crack because some people seem to have a compulsion to get what they want in a way that pushes them to do and say things that they wouldn't do in their non-collecting lives. Some do it out of pure jealousy or spite, intentionally and with full knowledge of the impact. Others do it out of ignorance of socially acceptable behavior and the impact of their words and actions. While still others do it out of passive-aggressive behavior and willful ignorance, not stopping to think that they may harm the deal, but having an idea.

This exact scenario has played out a dozen times just in this forum in the last year or so. It seems to happen with great regularity.

Take this scenario and move it to a convention.

You are looking at a book. The dealer quotes you a price. You say you'll take it.

Before you can pay and before the dealer can hand you the book, 3-4 people come up behind you and say "Oh man THAT WAS A STEAL", "DEAL OF THE DAY", "Wow I would have paid way more.", "Wish I would have seen this first, I would have been all over it."

Then another guy goes back behind the booth and starts whispering something to the dealer, pointing at the book, pulling money out of his pocket.

Now maybe the dealer does the right thing and honors his price, maybe he doesn't. In either scenario how do you feel about the line-jumpers, and all the people who felt it was their place to insert themselves into your transaction and potential have a negative impact on your completing it. Was that respectful? What was proper behavior? Is that something any seller or buyer should appreciate? How would those people feel if someone did it to them?

It's business and it's right there in the old axiom...."everyone should mind their own".

It's not seeing things in black and white, it's being aware enough to learn from experience. After seeing this as many times here as we've seen it exactly what are we waiting for to see this behavior for what it is?

That can be achieved by listing the other book or noting that hey, I have another copy if anyone is interested. Otherwise, comments like "Deal of the day!" are just tits on a bull.

I was commenting on the idea of someone requesting to be contacted if the deal falls through. Don't see an issue with people lining up.

And like I said, I would personally like to identify future buyers given I often have more than one copy.

I don't believe you have to do detailed census tracking if you are going to price your books far enough below market that the blood-suckers come out of the woodwork. There's always a buyer for a cheaply priced book.

The flipper gene can't resist a bargain. Market research is redundant.

That can be achieved by listing the other book or noting that hey, I have another copy if anyone is interested. Otherwise, comments like "Deal of the day!" are just tits on a bull.

I was commenting on the idea of someone requesting to be contacted if the deal falls through. Don't see an issue with people lining up.

It's not the lining up...it's the "Oh man I would have paid more for that book....let me know if the deal falls through."

Lining up is, same price, same terms, no incentive for the seller to breach his original deal.

The other is tortious interference with contract.

Shades of gray and all. Don't want to be too black and white about it.

(thumbs u

To large to quote.

The "talk" is just talk. Any seller knows the best deal is the one in front of them. Any honourable seller knows they have a deal in front of them that needs to be completed.

What would I think of all the comments at a convention? I would think they're either jealous or just talking. How many times does a seller hear that someone will buy and never does?

My comments are about "if the deal falls through then I'll take it". The "great deal" comments may be "tits on a bull". I have done it a few times lately just to inflate my post count. I didn't know there were hidden meanings attached. Does "congrats to the buyer and seller" also have some hidden meaning?

It's not the lining up...it's the "Oh man I would have paid more for that book....let me know if the deal falls through."

Lining up is, same price, same terms, no incentive for the seller to breach his original deal.

I interpret the comment to pay more as a way of conveying how much they want the book. Talk is cheap. Seems this section is bored while waiting for the next villain.

To large to quote.

The "talk" is just talk. Any seller knows the best deal is the one in front of them. Any honourable seller knows they have a deal in front of them that needs to be completed.

What would I think of all the comments at a convention? I would think they're either jealous or just talking. How many times does a seller hear that someone will buy and never does?

My comments are about "if the deal falls through then I'll take it". The "great deal" comments may be "tits on a bull". I have done it a few times lately just to inflate my post count. I didn't know there were hidden meanings attached. Does "congrats to the buyer and seller" also have some hidden meaning?

lol

People interfering with a deal is never right. You know if someone did that to you you'd have a problem with it.

Honorable sellers are wonderful things and to be treasured. Whiny man-babies who try to fudge up your deal, because their mommy said they were special so they should get all the deals, aren't and it's ok to call someone out on behavior that could have a negative impact on a deal. That's true whether they meant to mess up the deal or are just too inept socially to not stick their nose into a deal.

And you're smart enough to know the difference between a global "congrats" and "oh man, that was so under-priced" type comments.

I interpret the comment to pay more as a way of conveying how much they want the book. Talk is cheap. Seems this section is bored while waiting for the next villain.

Or have a good enough memory to have seen that tactic pulled here, and in the real world, and can identify it for what it is.

We've had people do exactly this. Then suddenly the sale was "in error" and the original buyer doesn't get the book. A coincidence I guess.

It's happened forever. On ebay any great piece or is subject to massive behind the scenes scheming. Books sold for a low BIN are suddenly "lost" or "destroyed"...aww shucks the buyer doesn't get his book or piece of art...then it shows up in another auction a few months later....no longer "lost" and somehow reconstructed.

How many times exactly does a ploy have to be pulled before it can be responded to for the douchbaggery that it is?

It's ok to learn from experience and call things as they are.

The innocent 'congrats' is innocent enough, even if it does bump threads unnecessarily enough in a place where real estate space is already in short supply.

But there is a difference between saying 'congrats' and someone undermining a sale (as Chris said, it can be done with malicious intent or just through being socially inept, which seems to be common among comic nerds, me included) is an entirely different thing.

And it has happened with malice and it does happen. It's a real thing.

The innocent 'congrats' is innocent enough, even if it does bump threads unnecessarily enough in a place where real estate space is already in short supply.

But there is a difference between saying 'congrats' and someone undermining a sale (as Chris said, it can be done with malicious intent or just through being socially inept, which seems to be common among comic nerds, me included) is an entirely different thing.

And it has happened with malice and it does happen. It's a real thing.

Yes, it happens. It is not the majority of the 'congrats'

To large to quote.

lol

People interfering with a deal is never right. You know if someone did that to you you'd have a problem with it.

Honorable sellers are wonderful things and to be treasured. Whiny man-babies who try to fudge up your deal, because their mommy said they were special so they should get all the deals, aren't and it's ok to call someone out on behavior that could have a negative impact on a deal. That's true whether they meant to mess up the deal or are just too inept socially to not stick their nose into a deal.

And you're smart enough to know the difference between a global "congrats" and "oh man, that was so under-priced" type comments.

I'm smart enough to not try and determine a person's intent without asking them. (thumbs u

To large to quote.

lol

If you want to know what I would have a problem with you simply need to ask. Assuming intent and interpretation is where we're at now?

To large to quote.

lol

I'm smart enough to not try and determine a person's intent without asking them. (thumbs u

Hopefully smart enough that asking a person their intent is only accurate if they are honest. Actions lie far less than words.

To large to quote.

lol

Hopefully smart enough that asking a person their intent is only accurate if they are honest. Actions lie far less than words.

The quickest way to make someone dishonest is to treat them as if they are.