• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Sqeggs - I had numerous offers for a prompt flip of this book. I expect one of those same offers went to Jimbo_707 as well. Upon being asked the question, jimbo_707 never denied the accusation. He also did not confirm, but has sidestepped the issue every step of the way by offering red herrings and trying to make an issue of this shipping thing that was never an issue, he offered to pay for shipping.
Just a question:

Does the first sentence here sound like it's for a book that was accurately priced?

That's irrelevant. If ComCav had overpaid by $200 would you be calling for him to be allowed out of the deal? Where is the personal responsibility. Why can't people start acting like adults?

Personal responsibility is so 20th Century.

Just curious type of question. How long do you think this type of "issue" will take to be forgotten. A person who is caught stealing people's money will probably never be "forgiven" and will get hounded years later if they try to sell books on the boards. But I don't see this issue being in the same category as outright theft or the unforgivable offenses so how long do you think people will care and keep hounding him? If he is on the PL list he will probably get the occasional issue with selling but time has a way of making things go away so how long do you think it will take for this type of situation to blow over.

I don't forget

Sqeggs - I had numerous offers for a prompt flip of this book. I expect one of those same offers went to Jimbo_707 as well. Upon being asked the question, jimbo_707 never denied the accusation. He also did not confirm, but has sidestepped the issue every step of the way by offering red herrings and trying to make an issue of this shipping thing that was never an issue, he offered to pay for shipping.
Just a question:

Does the first sentence here sound like it's for a book that was accurately priced?

That's irrelevant. If ComCav had overpaid by $200 would you be calling for him to be allowed out of the deal? Where is the personal responsibility. Why can't people start acting like adults?

This is something that has always bothered me.

People only force a point through when it's in their favor. We're a 'me first' generation.

Whether you're a buyer or a seller, following through is most important.

It sounds silly but everyone wants 'big picture' world peace but often people don't want to put the work in at home and do the right thin in all the small things. It's the small things that make the big things.

Hado - I don't doubt I paid a good price. But if you look at the thread (oh right it got merged into this mess, well a WAYS back then!) I donated $300 to charity to completely null the issue. This is not about the money.

When I posted yesterday, I had basically decided that I would move forward with the transaction, and I will. I wanted a little more time before publicly eating crow. I received an envelope from William today, and I assume that it contains his check.

The way William's message about shipping was worded didn't sit right with me, and it's what made me feel I was free to back out of the deal, which I've never done before. I felt like he had continued trying to negotiate after we had a deal, and I'm not used to people doing that. Like someone said, I should have replied, "Look at the terms. I'm good with cancelling. You?"

I understand that others will refuse to buy from me now. (This is my fifth sale on the boards in about as many years.)

Hado - I don't doubt I paid a good price. But if you look at the thread (oh right it got merged into this mess, well a WAYS back then!) I donated $300 to charity to completely null the issue. This is not about the money.

I have to say, I saw the book before you claimed it and $800 struck me as kind of high -- and that was before I looked at GPA and saw that this copy sold for $450 three years ago. I don't know if this is DTA's Southern States copy, but I suspect it is. So, that sale was probably from eBay when he brought those books to market. DTA isn't known for underpricing his books.

Unless this (pretty obscure) book has for some reason heated up dramatically over the past few years, $800 might be a low price but I don't see it as any type of screaming bargain. My 2c

When I posted yesterday, I had basically decided that I would move forward with the transaction, and I will. I wanted a little more time before publicly eating crow. I received an envelope from William today, and I assume that it contains his check.

The way William's message about shipping was worded didn't sit right with me, and it's what made me feel I was free to back out of the deal, which I've never done before. I felt like he had continued trying to negotiate after we had a deal, and I'm not used to people doing that. Like someone said, I should have replied, "Look at the terms. I'm good with cancelling. You?"

I understand that others will refuse to buy from me now. (This is my fifth sale on the boards in about as many years.)

Good to see that you are doing the right thing. Just to clear up a point of confusion, did another boardie post a higher offer in the thread? You don't need to post their name or anything.

Excellent. And, for what it's worth, this episode would not keep me from buying from you.

jimbo_707 - I look forward to receipt and I'll publicly confirm so. You'll note the check pays for $15 of shipping, not actually sure what method to ship would cost that much, but any additional funds please do keep with my compliments.

If you had not gone through with the deal, I think the situation would be a lot different for many people.

I'm glad you're honoring the sale.

+1 all good now for me after you did the right thing jimbo :headbang:

jimbo_707 - normally I would PM to ask, but I have no option except publicly. Can you advise a ship date and method please. Upon shipping, a tracking number would be ideal. I request packed well inside a box to prevent case getting cracked. Thank you for your additional time and effort to ensure it arrives intact.

Excellent. And, for what it's worth, this episode would not keep me from buying from you.

+1 I am just glad for a happy ending

+1 I am just glad for a happy ending

+1