• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Just curious type of question. How long do you think this type of "issue" will take to be forgotten. A person who is caught stealing people's money will probably never be "forgiven" and will get hounded years later if they try to sell books on the boards. But I don't see this issue being in the same category as outright theft or the unforgivable offenses so how long do you think people will care and keep hounding him? If he is on the PL list he will probably get the occasional issue with selling but time has a way of making things go away so how long do you think it will take for this type of situation to blow over.

Too much attention on this one to go quietly into the night until some finality occurs. There are only 2 outcomes, Cav will get this book or he won't. Once either occurs it will subside.

TBH I wish the mods had not moved this from the sales forum...

There is a third outcome. Seller pays Cav the difference in sales price (his additional profit), plus perhaps a penalty and/or interest and/or extra to cover the taxes (I think it would count as income to Cav and therefore be taxable technically).

I think once the book is sold (paid for and shipped) to another buyer in good faith (assuming it was good faith), its pretty tough to compel that buyer to give the book back.

I don't think it was confirmed he sold it to someone else.

Just curious type of question. How long do you think this type of "issue" will take to be forgotten. A person who is caught stealing people's money will probably never be "forgiven" and will get hounded years later if they try to sell books on the boards. But I don't see this issue being in the same category as outright theft or the unforgivable offenses so how long do you think people will care and keep hounding him? If he is on the PL list he will probably get the occasional issue with selling but time has a way of making things go away so how long do you think it will take for this type of situation to blow over.

Too much attention on this one to go quietly into the night until some finality occurs. There are only 2 outcomes, Cav will get this book or he won't. Once either occurs it will subside.

TBH I wish the mods had not moved this from the sales forum...

There is a third outcome. Seller pays Cav the difference in sales price (his additional profit), plus perhaps a penalty and/or interest and/or extra to cover the taxes (I think it would count as income to Cav and therefore be taxable technically).

I think once the book is sold (paid for and shipped) to another buyer in good faith (assuming it was good faith), its pretty tough to compel that buyer to give the book back.

I don't think it was confirmed he sold it to someone else.

I assumed his 'mulling it over' was to give him time to drive the price up to the other buyer.

"Dear buyer B, these boardies are up in my grill. I think I'm gonna have to go back to seller A unless you pay me X more dollars, where X is the cost of whats left of my honor and reputation. Yes, I know that just by asking this question, X has diminished exponentially. For some reason I don't care."

At this point, it doesn't matter if Jimbo_777 completes the deal as allegedly initially constituted; his reputation is so tarnished, I don't foresee many/any completed transactions from him anytime soon. It is a shame to lose one's integrity from what seemed like an upstanding member. In any event, I hope some positive form of resolution can be had.

Even if one doesn't care about their reputation, from a business standpoint this type of behavior will cost way more than the couple hundred dollars difference. Its mind boggling.

At this point, it doesn't matter if Jimbo_777 completes the deal as allegedly initially constituted; his reputation is so tarnished, I don't foresee many/any completed transactions from him anytime soon. It is a shame to lose one's integrity from what seemed like an upstanding member. In any event, I hope some positive form of resolution can be had.

Until this thread was merged, we were posting comments only seconds apart. Jimbo can retreive the situation - it's not too late, as there were numerous points raised in the discussion for him to reflect on, not all of which concur with each other, some of which - like a couple of mine - don't even concur with themselves! I think that if Jimbo takes another day to weigh all of the counsel he's received, and comes to the conclusion that he made an error, in which case he might think he owes the buyer an apology, and should honor the deal, I for one would willingly welcome him back into our motley fold. In similar circumstances I too would hope for understanding and forgiveness.

It seems to me that the key to unblocking a damaging situation is the willingness to acknowledge to oneself and others that one has made a a mistake. Regardless of us, that is a measure of personal growth.

No-one is ever beyond redemption.

How else to encourage jimbo to honor the deal?

I know it was mentioned but did someone really offer more in the thread itself and if so who?

That is still speculation at this point. Jimbo said he had not sold the book, and it was still with him.

It's all moot. He's taking days to weigh his integrity against a couple hundred dollars. I know I will never deal with the guy. I assume others are on the same page.

I know it was mentioned but did someone really offer more in the thread itself and if so who?

That is still speculation at this point. Jimbo said he had not sold the book, and it was still with him.

It's all moot. He's taking days to weigh his integrity against a couple hundred dollars. I know I will never deal with the guy. I assume others are on the same page.

I speculate that he sees himself as a man of integrity. (What person doesn't? - Don't answer that, Billy!) In which case he could be struggling to accept that he has made a mistake, especially such an egregious one. We are all experts at self-deception - trust me, I know!

Or to put it another way - the rock on which we stand is also the one on which we founder.

I've been following this from the beginning, and while I feel that what Jimbo707 did was not the best thing he could have done, I do think it only fair to point out that as a boardie, most of his activity has been through participating in the Forums in which he had interest and knowledge. His forays into the sales arena, as buyer or seller, were limited. Because of that, I'm inclined to chalk his boner up to inexperience in that area. Hopefully all will fall into place. GOD BLESS...

Although I can't defend his actions, you're not alone in hoping Jimbo can somehow make this all work out.

I've been following this from the beginning, and while I feel that what Jimbo707 did was not the best thing he could have done, I do think it only fair to point out that as a boardie, most of his activity has been through participating in the Forums in which he had interest and knowledge. His forays into the sales arena, as buyer or seller, were limited. Because of that, I'm inclined to chalk his boner up to inexperience in that area. Hopefully all will fall into place. GOD BLESS...

Although I can't defend his actions, you're not alone in hoping Jimbo can somehow make this all work out.

It would be cathartic, wouldn't it?

I speculate that he sees himself as a man of integrity. (What person doesn't? - Don't answer that, Billy!) In which case he could be struggling to accept that he has made a mistake, especially such an egregious one. We are all experts at self-deception - trust me, I know!

Or to put it another way - the rock on which we stand is also the one on which we founder.

I did not see the entire thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. The seller agreed to a sale of a book for a lot less than what it was worth and the buyer thought he was getting a great deal, the seller discovers this after making the deal and wants to change his mind...is this correct?

I understand that a deal is a deal and should be honored. But...if we are also a community of like minded people, why would anyone want to take advantage of another community member's naivete?

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's definitely something to be weighed.

And as I stated yesterday, he's acknowledged everyone's posts and said he's going to think about it.

Reiterating the same things over and over just starts to become a 'feel good' session for observers rather than be productive. If I were him, there's nothing really new stated and I'd probably not read the thread anymore until I've made a decision.

I know it looks black and white to the casual outside observer (and it is, in all honesty) but the truth is that people are complex and some people need time to work through situations. It can be an internal struggle and only the person knows how to get through it.

And I'm OK with that too.

After that, the I'd say everyone is free to take a side.

That's my 2c

I did not see the entire thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. The seller agreed to a sale of a book for a lot less than what it was worth and the buyer thought he was getting a great deal, the seller discovers this after making the deal and wants to change his mind...is this correct?

I understand that a deal is a deal and should be honored. But...if we are also a community of like minded people, why would anyone want to take advantage of another community member's naivete?

Incorrect. The consensus seemed to be the opposite, that the seller actually got more than a reasonable assessment of gpa would have called for. It just so happened there was another person who wanted it more and offered more to try and pry the book away from its rightful claimer.

This is not a case where someone posted a book for sale for $100 when it should have been $1000. The seller posted a reasonable number, the buyer posted the Take It. Discussion ensued regarding shipping and was resolved by the buyer agreeing to pay $15 for shipping. The seller then had second thoughts and blew up the deal. Really cut and dry.

Yep. What is apparent to others is not always apparent to yourself. We are all complicated.

But Billy is a special snowflake.

It just so happened there was another person who wanted it more and offered more to try and pry the book away from its rightful claimer.

Actually, I'm not sure this has been proven.

I'd asked early in the thread if someone posted something to the effect of 'I'll take it if he passes' but nobody replied.

It's just a theory, unless someone knows differently.

Incorrect. The consensus seemed to be the opposite, that the seller actually got more than a reasonable assessment of gpa would have called for. It just so happened there was another person who wanted it more and offered more to try and pry the book away from its rightful claimer.

This is not a case where someone posted a book for sale for $100 when it should have been $1000. The seller posted a reasonable number, the buyer posted the Take It. Discussion ensued regarding shipping and was resolved by the buyer agreeing to pay $15 for shipping. The seller then had second thoughts and blew up the deal. Really cut and dry.

That's not good :eek:

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's definitely something to be weighed.

And as I stated yesterday, he's acknowledged everyone's posts and said he's going to think about it.

Reiterating the same things over and over just starts to become a 'feel good' session for observers rather than be productive. If I were him, there's nothing really new stated and I'd probably not read the thread anymore until I've made a decision.

I know it looks black and white to the casual outside observer (and it is, in all honesty) but the truth is that people are complex and some people need time to work through situations. It can be an internal struggle and only the person knows how to get through it.

And I'm OK with that too.

After that, the I'd say everyone is free to take a side.

That's my 2c

So, basically riding the fence.

Shocking :baiting:

:fear:

Yep. What is apparent to others is not always apparent to yourself. We are all complicated.

But Billy is a special snowflake.

He has insights others lack. Especially into the complexity of human nature and motivation.