• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8894082#Post8894082

Hi, the CGC 9.8 you're attempting to sell for thousands of dollars has a defect, which I'm going to point out for everyone who might be interested. Also, I have a copy of this book that is better than yours. But good luck with the sale! You have a lovely book!

Congrats! You just made the most ridiculous post of the day.

What is wrong with people!?!?

This type of post deserves an insta-ban. Interfering with someone trying to sell a book to pay for medical expenses. Saying your book is better (you forgot to write na na na na boo boo) which is irrelevant. Disingenuous "good luck with the sale."

You officially look like a spiteful 10 year old with no social skills. If I were you i'd be embarrassed.

Uh... guessing that Revat is not the culprit and he's just sarcastically paraphrasing a post in the sales thread that has since been deleted.

I'm guessing that Red doesn't like clicking links and reading. 2c

I did read the thread and saw the guy post that the book had a crease but that his 9.8 also had a crease. Uncalled for, yes, but hardly what Revat "paraphrased". Then, in reading Revat's post it looked like he was saying he had a 9.8 that did not have the crease. It was not clear that he was being facetious. As I already posted, I apologize to Revat for the misunderstanding.

Snickers(1).gif

^^ no prob

But to be fair some of the older forum members put a lot of junk like zzz and have over 30000 posts that put up c-rap and rip on people that disagree with them. When I read those posts, I think you want to sell to this community and this is how you treat people.

(thumbs u

..... this change in focus is somewhat inevitable due to the ever increasing prices that many non-key books command. It's become financially daunting to pursue runs.... which I believe many people would still do if it was more affordable. When I first started collecting back issues in the early 70's, one could take a paycheck and pick up a huge stack of vintage books and still pay the bills. The vast majority of people just don't enjoy the buying power they had then (... I sure don't). I have to admit, I've started picking up some of the movie hype books that haven't reached the stratosphere yet..... and it's kind of fun collecting them. I can see the appeal..... although I sometimes miss the "run " focus. As for the element of contention on the boards, let's face it.... we're a bunch of geeks who are all relatively intelligent, so arguing and chest thumbing is sometimes unavoidable. It may just be me, but it seems that was always at work on the boards to some degree. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am not sure I follow you here, Jim. I would rather make another, different, consideration.

Instead of a shift from collecting runs (or relevant issues that are not commercially "keys") to collecting movie hype books, I would say the movie hype influences you in the most varied manner.

When I came here in 2012 I wasn’t even remotely thinking to restart collecting Marvels. I arrived while doing a research on wartime comics (started on italian ones) and then went on to discover the essentials of the Golden Age (more or less) but then there were various factors which prompted me to pick up where I left about ten years before with "collecting the Marvel age".

But then the movie hype peaked (so to speak) and I realized I could have been forced to give up buying certain issues or stories I really cared about just because of the overnight price peaks. In the end, I am not sure it has been worth the effort to purchase more, look for deals and then went back to the fact what I cared about remained somewhat out of reach, or in risk of getting hyped, as there are too many important things that compose the Marvel age across the various titles and stories.

In my opinion, these increases in speculation and bad selling habits are also due to the facts people worry about how "marketable" or "resellable" a book is, and then, only AFTERWARDS think about its actual value, or why it’s important for them.

So, while I do not regret having "lost" time in buying some issues I cared more in a few copies, resell them thanks to some hype and earn a bit of money to fill holes in my collection, I still think this will be bad – and not only for collecting, but for contracted habits as well, and not necessarily in the long term, but also in the short term. hm

I think just the steadily greater sums being spent in the hobby as a whole, whether its in pursuit of hot keys, or just high grade books of any kind, has made the hobby a greater and greater risk.

The more money goes in, the more that is at stake, and the greater the risk. In some sense we all have to think like businessmen in order to ensure that the money sunk into this increasingly costly hobby is not one day a complete liability or loss to our families. 2c

That’s an interesting additional point to be considered. "In some sense we all have to think like businessmen" sums a good part of the problem. And because of that, since I am not willing to spend more than a certain amount of money on a single book (or on any object of any kind, even if it is unique), this is a situation that gives me some unease. hm

Movie and TV hype have brought a "key-centric" focus like nothing I've ever seen before. Books get hot and then get flipped more times than a jailhouse mattress.

..... this change in focus is somewhat inevitable due to the ever increasing prices that many non-key books command. It's become financially daunting to pursue runs.... which I believe many people would still do if it was more affordable. When I first started collecting back issues in the early 70's, one could take a paycheck and pick up a huge stack of vintage books and still pay the bills. The vast majority of people just don't enjoy the buying power they had then (... I sure don't).

it is a bit of a lament.

Nothing beats a run of a book if you enjoy reading a comic book's mythos as it develops. Early Lee/Ditko Spider-Mans, Lee/Kirby FFs up to #51 and perhaps any of Lee/Ditko's Doctor Strange illustrate the possibilities of exploring and caring about fantasy characters and worlds.

The original books bring you closer to the newsstand -- and being 12 again.

Movie and TV hype have brought a "key-centric" focus like nothing I've ever seen before. Books get hot and then get flipped more times than a jailhouse mattress.

..... this change in focus is somewhat inevitable due to the ever increasing prices that many non-key books command. It's become financially daunting to pursue runs.... which I believe many people would still do if it was more affordable. When I first started collecting back issues in the early 70's, one could take a paycheck and pick up a huge stack of vintage books and still pay the bills. The vast majority of people just don't enjoy the buying power they had then (... I sure don't).

it is a bit of a lament.

Nothing beats a run of a book if you enjoy reading a comic book's mythos as it develops. Early Lee/Ditko Spider-Mans, Lee/Kirby FFs up to #51 and perhaps any of Lee/Ditko's Doctor Strange illustrate the possibilities of exploring and caring about fantasy characters and worlds.

The original books bring you closer to the newsstand -- and being 12 again.

..... when I first got back into collecting seriously (.... for the third time :insane: ) in the early 2000's, I was drawn back to my roots.... pursuing the first 35 Fantastic Four issues in a solid mid grade with nice eye appeal . With eBay, it was fun and possible..... and relatively affordable. I also snagged a few CGC books and was surprised at how much more tightly graded the books were as opposed to what one saw raw at shops and shows and I got bit by the high grade bug (....much to the horror of my wallet). I think prices spiked with the advent of "old money" when folks started liquidating their old collections, purchased in the 60', 70.s and 80's for pennies on the dollar and began spending the surplus money on upgrading their favorite books. The cycle won't last forever, and it seems to me that it is probably dwindling, causing the price corrections we are starting to see now. I still love collecting but now the books are 300 instead of 30 bucks and it definitely changes the way I approach things. I can only imagine how this tempers the thinking of newer collectors. When I was younger I remember how the older collectors were annoyed that some books were costing as much as 100 dollars...... now we see 100,000 fairly often. With the stakes so high, it's hard to see this as simply collecting. GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

I felt the same way in the early 2000's when I got back into collecting for the 2nd time. I couldn't believe what comics were going for.

The first book to blow me away was Daredevil #131. I saw a 9.8 copy sell for something like $2000 and was just unable to believe it.

Then I manned up and bought a raw copy for something like $300 - lol

But yeah, there is always a paradigm shift when you've been out of it for a while.

And I do agree that there is much that is cyclical.

I felt the same way in the early 2000's when I got back into collecting for the 2nd time. I couldn't believe what comics were going for.

The first book to blow me away was Daredevil #131. I saw a 9.8 copy sell for something like $2000 and was just unable to believe it.

But yeah, there is always a paradigm shift when you've been out of it for a while.

..... I bought my first book off the boards from you..... an 8.0 CGC copy of FF 13. We ended up speaking by phone for a while that night. People sometimes scoff at high post counts.... but 10 posts a day over 10 years puts a chap at close to 40,000....... I suppose in my case, I'm an under-performer lol GOD BLESS....

..... you've been a great friend over the years, Roy. Especially after I realized you looked exactly like one of my best friends who once hot wired a steamroller and drove it down Main Street so he wouldn't have to stagger home from the bar :insane:

I also got back into it in the early 2000s, after having left the hobby in the mid 1980s. I remember going back into a LCS for the first time again, kind of exploring, asking the owner (laughingly) what I'd missed after all those years. He summed it up with three things:

CGC

Pedigrees

Variants

And then he said to me, in so many words, "I'd suggest staying away from the variants". I still feel that was good advice. lol

So how does this happen?

Is this some new form of threadkrapping, "I'm not going to derail your thread, I'm going to close it!" or do we have a shill account situation?

(shrug)

I may be overlooking some reasonable explanation, help me. The only thing I can think of is that these two are partners on the books offered.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8894082#Post8894082

So how does this happen?

Is this some new form of threadkrapping, "I'm not going to derail your thread, I'm going to close it!" or do we have a shill account situation?

(shrug)

I may be overlooking some reasonable explanation, help me. The only thing I can think of is that these two are partners on the books offered.

Neither of the two books offered come back in the lookup. It's POSSIBLE that OP had them done walkthrough at Baltimore (hence why they don't show up when you run the certs). The guy who closed the thread had posted in the 678 thread that he had a friend submit a copy at Baltimore that got a 9.8. So maybe this is his friend who asked him to close the thread?

My first thought was that he opened the sales thread under one account name and then closed it under the other one forgetting who he was logged in as at the moment.

I also got back into it in the early 2000s, after having left the hobby in the mid 1980s. I remember going back into a LCS for the first time again, kind of exploring, asking the owner (laughingly) what I'd missed after all those years. He summed it up with three things:

CGC

Pedigrees

Variants

And then he said to me, in so many words, "I'd suggest staying away from the variants". I still feel that was good advice. lol

Unlike you all, instead of restarting I actually stopped after the 2000s. I usually have had shorter "collecting cycles" on this and that thing, and so I wasn’t surprised to see the price changes. Actually, in 2012 certain Golden Age books I would have never thought "in reach" were approachable, the problem came when I decided to go "Ultimate" on the Marvel age… :facepalm:

But now the organism is showing the signs of the illness. People should also re-learn to actually READ their comics, they were done for that. lol

So how does this happen?

(shrug)

Neither of the two books offered come back in the lookup. It's POSSIBLE that OP had them done walkthrough at Baltimore (hence why they don't show up when you run the certs). The guy who closed the thread had posted in the 678 thread that he had a friend submit a copy at Baltimore that got a 9.8. So maybe this is his friend who asked him to close the thread?

I guess that's possible but if he's a friend (as you describe) I'm not sure this is how I'd describe a score made by a boardie buddy. I can appreciate giving specific details some "shade" when sharing info online though & I suppose a bit of misdirection is par for the course in moderns. (shrug)

I saw a guy get a 9.8 back of this book in Baltimore. I told him to post it in here, and he said he doesn't post online. He let me look at it, and it was a really nice copy, had one crease, but sharp corners.