• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

They should have worked the word "Artisanal" into the company name.

this...

Are you tired of those sterile, corporate slabs that just scream capitalism?

Come on down to the MidAmerica Artisanal Grading Commune for some hand crafted, small batch graded comics.

We only use organic non-GMO holders to ensure a humane grading process for your comics.

I love how they go beyond the technical aspects of grading and document how they feel about the book.

"Overall a very nice comic with very attractive red and yellow foil cover."

It is a bid odd as we associate that with salesmanship, but on the other hand it is also a bit of a conceit in our hobby to play with number grades like its a science, which it surely is not. Sales are largely subjective, how people feel about the book's intangibles, its eye appeal, for example, is in the eye of the beholder.

I love how they go beyond the technical aspects of grading and document how they feel about the book.

It is a bid odd as we associate that with salesmanship, but on the other hand it is also a bit of a conceit in our hobby to play with number grades like its a science, which it surely is not. Sales are largely subjective, how people feel about the book's intangibles, its eye appeal, for example, is in the eye of the beholder.

Agreed. We all operate within the illusory construct of CGC's purported objectivity when, ultimately, the process is that a grader looks through a comic, shrugs and writes down "9.8", which then sells for twice as much as a supposed 9.6. But it is a fun game to play.

3811528_orig_zpse2thwph5.jpg

Personally, I love how they weren't technically proficient enough to actually fit their chosen font for the Serial Number and Designation into the box they created.

Cutting off parts of letters gives it that homespun, Midwestern, made-by-hand feel.

"What do you feel this book grades at?"

"I feel this book grades at "very nice"

"Is that higher or lower than "extra nice", "super sweet" and "minty fresh"?

Agreed. We all operate within the illusory construct of CGC's purported objectivity when, ultimately, the process is that a grader looks through a comic, shrugs and writes down "9.8", which then sells for twice as much as a supposed 9.6. But it is a fun game to play.

Or not? :shrug:

Personally, I love how they weren't technically proficient enough to actually fit their chosen font for the Serial Number and Designation into the box they created.

Cutting off parts of letters gives it that homespun, Midwestern, made-by-hand feel.

On the plus side, they do have your 9.5 grade. :D

On the plus side, they do have your 9.5 grade. :D

So did CGC, once.

Once.

From their site:

"We do not do comic book restoration but we will grade restored comics if you can supply us with a copy of the restoration paperwork so we can be sure of what all was done.

Special note: Restoration checks are done on all comics during the grading process."

So, they do restoration checks on all comics but ask for copies of resto paperwork "so we can be sure of what all was done." ???

Confidence is high. Repeat, confidence is high.

Was there a thread that caused this or is this just from old stuff?

What was the topic?

it was the new personal announcement sub-forum thread that was poofed