• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Glad he is doing the right thing but im not ready to give him a trophy for doing what he should have from the start! ? :D

It takes courage and integrity to publicly acknowledge and rectify a mistake. The bigger the mistake, the harder it is.

The freight should be proportionate to the groove.

Hado - I don't doubt I paid a good price. But if you look at the thread (oh right it got merged into this mess, well a WAYS back then!) I donated $300 to charity to completely null the issue. This is not about the money.

IMG_3932v_zpsw1rztj8l.jpg

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all!

But enough of good feeling, back to carping!

Interesting that a long-time board member with literally hundreds of posts to his name condemning the evils of pressing decides to list a few high-grade books for sale ... and won't publicly discuss the books' pressing history.

I'd guess Squeggs is referring to my sales thread. Weird, because I offered to speculate via private message on the pressing history of the comics being sold that I didn't have slabbed myself, and so wouldn't know for certain. Indeed, I did so for a board member who requested by pm what I knew about the pressing history of the TOS39 I'm offering for sale. (shrug)

Squeggs, perhaps you should pm me, too, and let me know which book you're contemplating buying and want more information on. Or do you think I should speculate on the possible pressing history of all the comics in my sales thread within the thread itself? Either way, I'm happy to disclose everything I know about a comic and whether it has any of what I believe are telltale signs of having once been pressed.

I'm happy to disclose everything I know about a comic and whether it has any of what I believe are telltale signs of having once been pressed.

But not in public, apparently - why confine it to PM?

I find such a stance very odd considering how you rail on in public regarding others' books.

And please stop being so disingenuous - no one is asking you to speculate. Why is it so hard to say 'pressing unknown' or 'I had this book pressed'? (shrug)

You've only listed a few books, at very high prices, so it's reasonable for others to want to know about the pressing history.

I'm happy to disclose everything I know about a comic and whether it has any of what I believe are telltale signs of having once been pressed.

I find such a stance very odd considering how you rail on in public regarding others' books.

You've only listed a few books, at very high prices, so it's reasonable for others to want to know about the pressing history.

As I told you before, I only had one of the comics encapsulated, but would be happy to speculate on the pressing history of any other comic to potential buyers. Since it's speculation, that's why I would confine it to a pm.

Send me a pm and let me know which comic you're considering buying, and I'll tell you everything I know about its appearance and purchase history, and on those bases whether I speculate it may have been pressed.

Finally, if you call pointing out the problem with the press jobs on the Cole Schave collection and the runny pen arrival dates on the White Mountain comics 'railing', then call me a railer. Until I did, nobody knew that Matt Nelson's shop was dialing up the process so much that they were damaging a slew of otherwise ultrahigh grade and scarce comics, and I'm happy the problems were brought to light.

How about this, Bob - rather than continuing to dance around the issue, and since you've had at least 3 potential customers ask you about the pressing history:

Book A - pressing unknown.

Book B - I had it pressed.

Book C - pressing unknown.

It's a red herring to suggest you're being asked to speculate. Just post what you know. Can you do that?

Like I already wrote multiple times, pressing history is unknown with certainty and so by its very nature speculative, except 'no' for the one comic I had encapsulated.

If you're a serious potential buyer and not just a ballbuster, I'd be happy to give you more information on the 'unknowns' via pm. Based on where I bought each book from and their detailed appearance, I can give an educated opinion that's far more informative to my customers than just saying the pressing history is unknown. Feel free to drop me a pm and tell me which book you're contemplating buying.

How about this, Bob - rather than continuing to dance around the issue, and since you've had at least 3 potential customers ask you about the pressing history:

Book A - pressing unknown.

Book B - I had it pressed.

Book C - pressing unknown.

It's a red herring to suggest you're being asked to speculate. Just post what you know. Can you do that?

Yep. That would be a good way to handle it given that the seller has made the point many times that he objects to SA pedigrees being pressed. At any rate, that's been my understanding of his position.

As I told you before, I only had one of the comics encapsulated, but would be happy to speculate on the pressing history of any other comic to potential buyers. Since it's speculation, that's why I would confine it to a pm.

Send me a pm and let me know which comic you're considering buying, and I'll tell you everything I know about its appearance and purchase history, and on those bases whether I speculate it may have been pressed.

Finally, if you call pointing out the problem with the press jobs on the Cole Schave collection and the runny pen arrival dates on the White Mountain comics 'railing', then call me a railer. Until I did, nobody knew that Matt Nelson's shop was dialing up the process so much that they were damaging a slew of otherwise ultrahigh grade and scarce comics, and I'm happy the problems were brought to light.

I thought your objection to pedigree SA books being pressed was more general than just the White Mountain and Chole Schave books, or did I misunderstand?

But none of this really matters because it's your sales thread and you can do what you want in it. So, I'll just move along.
What I prefer is to provide customers with as much information as possible about the condition, flaws, and potential pressing history (based on my source of the book and its appearance) of every comic I sell, including those that I didn't have encapsulated myself.