• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It's kind of funny how every marketplace has its own sensibilities. People just need to learn them and adapt to them before being ostracized.

I've been on plenty of boards where it was not just common, but expected to ask for 3% Paypal fees and no one gives it a second thought. Then there are boards where it's completely offensive to do so.

I believe asking for fees is more common on higher dollar items where multiple forms of payment are accepted. Generally it will be phrased as "$750 net to me" and the buyer knows that if he's paying by Paypal, he is expected to include fees, but if by check or money order, they don't need to be included.

It all comes down to the overall attitude of the board. If it's a seller friendly board, they expect to get the same amount regardless of how payment is made. If it's a buyer friendly board, they expect the price advertised to be the price paid.

As a frequent buyer on these boards, I can say there are two things that will turn me off from buying something. The first are unusually high shipping costs and the second is when they make you pay paypal fees. There is one auction right now that says they prefer paypal but you have to add 4% (I thought it was normally 3%?) I can't get over having to pay the seller's paypal fees when selling on the boards is free in the first place. Plus, why would you charge me more for paying you immediately and providing you with seller protection? Funny thing is that if the seller just built the paypal fees into the asking price in the first place no one would notice.

You know what really sucks about that? Throw up a hot enough book with the disclaimer that buyer has to pay fees, and it will still sell. Personally, I wish it would just be a rule that fees must be included in price. I simply don't understand why people don't do that, it's very basic math (there's even a free Paypal calculator for people who don't want to do the math ) and at best - it's an annoying trait that usually detracts from the sale.

The attitude has always puzzled me.

If a seller is asking for 3% on a $100 book, I'm paying $103

If a seller factors that 3% into the asking price of the book I'm still paying $103.

(shrug)

6bcrw.jpg

As a frequent buyer on these boards, I can say there are two things that will turn me off from buying something. The first are unusually high shipping costs and the second is when they make you pay paypal fees. There is one auction right now that says they prefer paypal but you have to add 4% (I thought it was normally 3%?) I can't get over having to pay the seller's paypal fees when selling on the boards is free in the first place. Plus, why would you charge me more for paying you immediately and providing you with seller protection? Funny thing is that if the seller just built the paypal fees into the asking price in the first place no one would notice.

You know what really sucks about that? Throw up a hot enough book with the disclaimer that buyer has to pay fees, and it will still sell. Personally, I wish it would just be a rule that fees must be included in price. I simply don't understand why people don't do that, it's very basic math (there's even a free Paypal calculator for people who don't want to do the math ) and at best - it's an annoying trait that usually detracts from the sale.

If a seller factors that 3% into the asking price of the book I'm still paying $103.

(shrug)

I think its human nature to be upset about perceived extra fees. I'll give you an example. The airline industry builds free food and soda into your ticket price. However many companies have now eliminated that and charge you for drinks/food (and Spirit was thinking about adding the bathroom to that as well) People get annoyed when they have to shell out for the drink, even though the ticket was cheaper than a competitor who gives free drinks ("I paid all this money to fly to Florida and they want me to pay for a drink?!?!") Same here. If you don't see the charge it doesn't irk you. If you see it its irksome.

I compare it to how some people feel about BPs at auction houses. I just factor the BP into my max bid. If I see a book I am willing to spend $100 on, that means I will only bid up to $80 cause after the BP its going to be $100 anyway.

(shrug)

I think its human nature to be upset about perceived extra fees. I'll give you an example. The airline industry builds free food and soda into your ticket price. However many companies have now eliminated that and charge you for drinks/food (and Spirit was thinking about adding the bathroom to that as well) People get annoyed when they have to shell out for the drink, even though the ticket was cheaper than a competitor who gives free drinks ("I paid all this money to fly to Florida and they want me to pay for a drink?!?!") Same here. If you don't see the charge it doesn't irk you. If you see it its irksome.

I compare it to how some people feel about BPs at auction houses. I just factor the BP into my max bid. If I see a book I am willing to spend $100 on, that means I will only bid up to $80 cause after the BP its going to be $100 anyway.

We gotta sticky this convo somewhere, this must be the tenth time we've gone over it! :ohnoez:

(shrug)

We gotta sticky this convo somewhere, this must be the tenth time we've gone over it! :ohnoez:

I think you could say that about a lot of other conversations and I've been here less than a year.

I'm going to post this here, given the thread in CG has turned into a hot mess.

I really just want my book. :/

Than maybe you should have paid for him to ship the book to you?

How can someone who asks for so many favours not have a paypal account?

Seriously.

I usually.send.cash or a.money order.depending on what.the person asks for.

I've had more than one boardie send me cash for books purchased in the market place. Not a money order, not a check, but cash in an envelope.

Despite the 30+ pages of entertaining gif's, I'm not sure what has been established. Was a book sent to Branget and is he holding it until the OP pays shipping fees?

Seriously.

I've had more than one boardie send me cash for books purchased in the market place. Not a money order, not a check, but cash in an envelope.

Despite the 30+ pages of entertaining gif's, I'm not sure what has been established. Was a book sent to Branget and is he holding it until the OP pays shipping fees?

if you scroll back a couple of pages Branget described the entire situation without naming the OP.

My understanding was it was signed by R. L Stein as a favour - the book was packaged up and a request was made for postage.

A UPS form was filled out and a tracking number was given to the OP.

Branget was waiting for him to pay the postage last time he mentioned it in this very thread!

Seriously.

Everything was explained on my end before the thread was started. The thread went the way it should have and is now locked. It was fun for awhile. lol

Seriously.

Everything was explained on my end before the thread was started. The thread went the way it should have and is now locked. It was fun for awhile. lol

And the best part is, he make himself look like an even bigger Summer's Eve then he looked like before, when he couldn't be bothered to ship out 3 PIF items in a row that he had taken.

Seriously.

And the best part is, he make himself look like an even bigger Summer's Eve then he looked like before, when he couldn't be bothered to ship out 3 PIF items in a row that he had taken.

yet he has no trouble selling books; i guess because he's such a valued community member :screwy:

If Columbia Comics would have made this comment, it would have been a strike and everyone would be calling it Thread poop and asking for his head

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7377190#Post7377190

and here it is in case it gets poofed

You tend to grade pretty harshly in the VG to FN range, most of your VG look like (at least) VG+/VGF and some of your FN look like FVF. Of course you have to have the books in hand, but they look great. (thumbs u

Shhh. Don't tell everyone!

I’m just trying to be fair, as more accurate grading is always better for both parties.

To balance that, I must admit that a few books in the FVF/VF- range appear very slightly overgraded, but it is hard to tell from scans only.

Andy’s grading is spot on (safely a bit undergraded, like I tend to do), but everyone has its "weak spot" where he undergrades. Mine tends to be in the G+ to VG- range – they are all G/G+ to me… lol

Edited by jsilverjanet

If Columbia Comics would have made this comment, it would have been a strike and everyone would be calling it Thread poop and asking for his head

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7377190#Post7377190

You tend to grade pretty harshly in the VG to FN range, most of your VG look like (at least) VG+/VGF and some of your FN look like FVF. Of course you have to have the books in hand, but they look great. (thumbs u

I’m just trying to be fair, as more accurate grading is always better for both parties.

To balance that, I must admit that a few books in the FVF/VF- range appear very slightly overgraded, but it is hard to tell from scans only.

Andy’s grading is spot on (safely a bit undergraded, like I tend to do), but everyone has its "weak spot" where he undergrades. Mine tends to be in the G+ to VG- range – they are all G/G+ to me… lol

You are wrong. It won't get poofed. They clearly know one another and are merely conversing about grading books. This is what used to happen all the time before the selling threads became a freak show of kvetching, hand-wringing and teeth clenching. If you look for a ghost behind every tree, you'll find one.

You are wrong. It won't get poofed. They clearly know one another and are merely conversing about grading books. This is what used to happen all the time before the selling threads became a freak show of kvetching, hand-wringing and teeth clenching. If you look for a ghost behind every tree, you'll find one.

Looks poofed to me.