• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I would like to clarify, I stated that 2 of the Marvel Premiere 48's were slightly lower grade. NOT Marvel Premiere 47. I also stated in the same post to wait until I got home for further detail..

Just trying to get this straight ...

You bought 2 copies of MP #48 from Gresham and complained to him that they were overgraded. But in your latest sales thread those copies were listed at a higher grade than the one Gresham originally assigned?

Here's what he bought...

Avengers #181 about a Fine, would be better but there is thumb tip stain on the bottom edge of the back cover, some sort of residue there, but does not show up on the insider cover.

Marvel Premiere #47 about 7.0 improvable with non-color breaking creases

Marvel Premiere #48 - 4 copies

copy "A" Newstand copy printers defect on corner with white area visible in the upper corner about an 8.0 (improvable)

copy "B" direct About a 6.0 more creasing

copy "C" direct About an 8.0 (improvable)

copy "D" direct About a 4.0 some moisture rippling throughout the book, some minor staining as well.

Let's start at $60.00

Now, in the new sales thread:

The 181 is a 7.0

The MP 47 was 9.0/9.2

And he's mentioned the 48's were 5.5 to 9.0 but the references in the thread are gone now.

Then there's the issue of the several noted occasions when he made claims of overgrading to obtain partial refunds from other boardies.

Anyone have any experience with a Jason Sloven of Bayside New York?

He wanted to trade me for my DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8 for a Hulk 181 raw.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

So anyways, today I get this message.

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

Jimmy $250 is enough to add Signature. PayPal encourages it.

I don't know what DC presents 47 is. Sorry. :shy: Not much of a DC fan lol

When did paypal demand signature protection for purchases of $250 USD or above or $330 Canadian?

They gave him a refund within 20 minutes of me providing the tracking information.

This is wildly_fanciful_statement.

Money has been taken out of my account.

Tracking: CX508239617CA

I never said anything about demanding, I said encourage. I'm sorry your money got taken out Jimmy.

Get your money from Canada Post Alex. :)

I would like to clarify, I stated that 2 of the Marvel Premiere 48's were slightly lower grade. NOT Marvel Premiere 47. I also stated in the same post to wait until I got home for further detail..

You bought 2 copies of MP #48 from Gresham and complained to him that they were overgraded. But in your latest sales thread those copies were listed at a higher grade than the one Gresham originally assigned?

Not quite. I purchased 4 copies. Too were overgrazed by a little. I listed 5 in a sales thread. I got 4 copies from Gresham, 1 copy from THE_BEYONDER, and purchased one copy in a massive lot a year ago. I gave NP Gresham's worst copy to my wife's cousin, because he loves Antman. I listed my other 5 copies (BEYONDER's being the best to my recollection) in the sales thread.

Are they still listed in the sales thread?

Here's what he bought...

Avengers #181 about a Fine, would be better but there is thumb tip stain on the bottom edge of the back cover, some sort of residue there, but does not show up on the insider cover.

copy "A" Newstand copy printers defect on corner with white area visible in the upper corner about an 8.0 (improvable)

copy "D" direct About a 4.0 some moisture rippling throughout the book, some minor staining as well.

Let's start at $60.00

The 181 is a 7.0

The MP 47 was 9.0/9.2

And he's mentioned the 48's were 5.5 to 9.0 but the references in the thread are gone now.

Then there's the issue of the several noted occasions when he made claims of overgrading to obtain partial refunds from other boardies.

I've done about 100 transactions here on the boards on the buying or trading side. I deal almost solely with raw books. There are bound to be errors somewhere. I personally far prefer to issue a partial refund than a return.

I guess that in the end there is likely to be some friction between those of us who are mainly collectors that do a little selling and those who are mainly dealers, although they may also collect.

I hear you...I'm pretty much a straight up collector...when I sell stuff, it's either because I've upgraded, or I've decided to no longer collect something...so, I tend to fall more on the "board flipping is annoying" side of things. However, I've seen the debates about this on here before, and I understand both sides of the argument. Also, I've come to understand that it's just part of the current landscape.

I'm one who doesn't understand the problem. Ed, if you bought a book from me say at $50 because I'm liquidating books and in a hurry to get cash, and you realize the book is worth considerably more to the right buyer, why would you feel obligated to resell it for only $50?

There is neither sin in seeking profit nor is there any exclusive right of "dealers" to buy cheap and sell dear. Its a free market for everyone. That is the beauty of it, and that it is a free market likely contributes to the volume and variety of books available for you to collect. 2c

The issue has always been with people trying to get a deal in any way and then resell here at a higher price, effectively rubbing the original sellers nose in it. And the debate is very old, I have never cared for in forum flips, I have always seen them as poor form. For awhile some of us even entertained how long should there be posession before flipping on the boards. But again, I never cared for it, and try to avoid dealing with those who do this.

I agree with this. At the same time tho, I did not buy this to flip it, I bought it for my own collection. I would keep the best 48, and sell of the 3 48 under copies. Then something came up. I now owe a substantial amount of money due to a medical issue on Monday, so I began listing many books, even books I wanted to keep-including these.

Your recent medical issues have exactly nothing to do with beating the seller down on price and then grading the same books higher.

Anyone have any experience with a Jason Sloven of Bayside New York?

He wanted to trade me for my DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8 for a Hulk 181 raw.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

So anyways, today I get this message.

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

Jimmy $250 is enough to add Signature. PayPal encourages it.

I don't know what DC presents 47 is. Sorry. :shy: Not much of a DC fan lol

When did paypal demand signature protection for purchases of $250 USD or above or $330 Canadian?

They gave him a refund within 20 minutes of me providing the tracking information.

This is wildly_fanciful_statement.

Money has been taken out of my account.

Tracking: CX508239617CA

I never said anything about demanding, I said encourage. I'm sorry your money got taken out Jimmy.

Get your money from Canada Post Alex. :)

I will. But I'm obviously upset that someone would open a case two hours after the tracking says the package was delivered. I have pictures of the package too! And than paypal sided with him. They ended up giving me $75 back so I'm hoping Canada Post will give me back some cash, we'll see. :)

Here's what he bought...

Let's start at $60.00

The 181 is a 7.0

The MP 47 was 9.0/9.2

I've done about 100 transactions here on the boards on the buying or trading side. I deal almost solely with raw books. There are bound to be errors somewhere. I personally far prefer to issue a partial refund than a return.

Where'd the 48's go from the sales thread?

I would like to clarify, I stated that 2 of the Marvel Premiere 48's were slightly lower grade. NOT Marvel Premiere 47. I also stated in the same post to wait until I got home for further detail. A few seconds after I posted that in out PM (literally, seconds) I realized that might had made it sound as if I wasn't happy with our transaction, so i instantly edited in "but I'm ok with the box overall"

NP Gresham had not even viewed the PM yet.

I'm sorry but if this is true then why would he refund you. Generally if a buyer is ok then they don't get a refund.

I guess that in the end there is likely to be some friction between those of us who are mainly collectors that do a little selling and those who are mainly dealers, although they may also collect.

I hear you...I'm pretty much a straight up collector...when I sell stuff, it's either because I've upgraded, or I've decided to no longer collect something...so, I tend to fall more on the "board flipping is annoying" side of things. However, I've seen the debates about this on here before, and I understand both sides of the argument. Also, I've come to understand that it's just part of the current landscape.

I'm one who doesn't understand the problem. Ed, if you bought a book from me say at $50 because I'm liquidating books and in a hurry to get cash, and you realize the book is worth considerably more to the right buyer, why would you feel obligated to resell it for only $50?

There is neither sin in seeking profit nor is there any exclusive right of "dealers" to buy cheap and sell dear. Its a free market for everyone. That is the beauty of it, and that it is a free market likely contributes to the volume and variety of books available for you to collect. 2c

The issue has always been with people trying to get a deal in any way and then resell here at a higher price, effectively rubbing the original sellers nose in it. And the debate is very old, I have never cared for in forum flips, I have always seen them as poor form. For awhile some of us even entertained how long should there be posession before flipping on the boards. But again, I never cared for it, and try to avoid dealing with those who do this.

I agree with this. At the same time tho, I did not buy this to flip it, I bought it for my own collection. I would keep the best 48, and sell of the 3 48 under copies. Then something came up. I now owe a substantial amount of money due to a medical issue on Monday, so I began listing many books, even books I wanted to keep-including these.

Now a medical issue. Not again.

Among others, yes.

Here's what he bought...

Let's start at $60.00

The 181 is a 7.0

The MP 47 was 9.0/9.2

And the number of seller complaints is growing.

Among others, yes.

Hmm, but this was in the sales thread: (shrug)

^^ Yay! 1/76th of the way there to paying my mortgage :banana:

Are there any pics or scans of the original sales thread before the grades were bumped up on the resell?

The MP 47 was shown side-by-side in this thread.

The Avengers 181 was in the original thread by NP and in the new sales thread.

I've been getting feedback that he bullies sellers into partial refunds from a few sources recently. I actually had a PM with him earlier in the week and told him I was getting negative reports. :(