• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with a Jason Sloven of Bayside New York?

He wanted to trade me for my DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8 for a Hulk 181 raw.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

So anyways, today I get this message.

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

I suck at grading, looks like my Avengers #181 just got a grade bump as well :banana:

How did this transaction go down when it came to the refund? Did GIJOEISAWESOME point out the books appeared overgraded and you refunded his money immediately, or was there more to it? He made it sound like he pointed out certain defects that would keep the book from the condition noted, you immediately refunded the money, told him to keep the books, and deleted yourself from the PM.

Is that how it happened?

His timeline is skewed and misses the mark.

1) tracking indicated books were in his possession at least 48 hours

2) I inquired after the 48 hours if he got the books and were there any issues.

3) Almost immediate reply that some of the books were 'over-graded'.

4)I immediately refunded his money and told him to keep the books, I want you to be happy.

5) I reflected on my grading, and I simply decided we have different grading criteria and I keep track of those I don't wish to do future business with by 'ignoring'.

6) He posts in my WTB that reflects poorly on me without any details.

7) I unblocked him and we corresponded by PM, I want to keep my WTB clean. It has been very successful and I want a reputation for treating people right.

8) He posts 2 of the books I sent him as a fine (now a 7.0-7.5) and a 7.0 (now 9.0-9.2)

9)He is back on ignore

I suck at grading, looks like my Avengers #181 just got a grade bump as well :banana:

How did this transaction go down when it came to the refund? Did GIJOEISAWESOME point out the books appeared overgraded and you refunded his money immediately, or was there more to it? He made it sound like he pointed out certain defects that would keep the book from the condition noted, you immediately refunded the money, told him to keep the books, and deleted yourself from the PM.

Is that how it happened?

4)I immediately refunded his money and told him to keep the books, I want you to be happy.

5) I reflected on my grading, and I simply decided we have different grading criteria and I keep track of those I don't wish to do future business with by 'ignoring'.

7) I unblocked him and we corresponded by PM, I want to keep my WTB clean. It has been very successful and I want a reputation for treating people right.

8) He posts 2 of the books I sent him as a fine (now a 7.0-7.5) and a 7.0 (now 9.0-9.2)

9)He is back on ignore

:popcorn: :popcorn:

:o :O :o

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

I'm going to start perusing these before I buy books. I don't want to end up with someone's overgraded flipped undergraded book. :ohnoez:

It's apparently not unusual. Three months ago or so, I ran a big sales thread here, during which a veteran Boardie (who will remain nameless) PM'd me about some raw books that had been listed in my thread for an hour or so, asking for a discount on the stack (5 or 6 books). In the spirit of giving him a good deal, I thought...sure, why not...and I actually sold him the books in that "deal" at a loss...no big issue. Within a relatively short time (say 60 to 90 days or so), I watched that Boardie list those same raw books within his own sales thread upgraded at least a full grade point, which he then sold for more than my original (undiscounted) sales thread asking price. It was a great learning experience for me. Along with some other realizations, that's when I really had to internalize the bit of wisdom that says to make sure you are happy with the price at which you sell books, and then in some sense who cares what happens after that. Trust me...I understand that argument. Still, having said that, it felt like a light kick in the crotch.

Is that how it happened?

9)He is back on ignore

Thank you for thoroughly and honestly answering the question.

What you may want to do in the future is first have a buyer provide further details on what made him feel they were overgraded. This way, if he was correct, you both can share suggestions on grading. If he was just being extra strict, you could tell him if he is not satisfied just send the books back for a full refund.

But at least your intent was very positive, in that you didn't want a dissatisfied buyer out there spreading the word you do not stand behind your grades.

I'm going to start perusing these before I buy books. I don't want to end up with someone's overgraded flipped undergraded book. :ohnoez:

It's apparently not unusual. Three months ago or so, I ran a big sales thread here, during which a veteran Boardie (who will remain nameless) PM'd me about some raw books that had been listed in my thread for an hour or so, asking for a discount on the stack (5 or 6 books). In the spirit of giving him a good deal, I thought...sure, why not...and I actually sold him the books in that "deal" at a loss...no big issue. Within a relatively short time (say 60 to 90 days or so), I watched that Boardie list those same raw books within his own sales thread upgraded at least a full grade point, which he then sold for more than my original (undiscounted) sales thread asking price. It was a great learning experience for me. Along with some other realizations, that's when I really had to internalize the bit of wisdom that says to make sure you are happy with the price at which you sell books, and then in some sense who cares what happens after that. Trust me...I understand that argument. Still, having said that, it felt like a light kick in the crotch.

My crotch is feeling that very same feeling after reading the past few pages :facepalm:

"???"

Discuss.

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

Jimmy $250 is enough to add Signature. PayPal encourages it.

I don't know what DC presents 47 is. Sorry. :shy: Not much of a DC fan lol

I sell a book as a 7.0 and low and behold it reappears as a "9.2" with no evidence of being pressed. No problem really, I am glad someone thinks I undergrade :banana:

Just bothers me that the same person complained that I can't grade, so I refunded him all his money for this lot (including the magic 9.2 book) and told him to keep the books I want him to be happy.

He then bumps it to a 9.2 and flips it here on the boards (it is in the same mylar and full back i sent him so i know it is the same book)

Still not a problem, but he paints a bad picture of me in my WTB thread as 'blocking him" unnecessarily.

For the record, I believe I have a good reason to block him.

Deja vu.

He did the same thing to me. Complained about books being inaccurately graded, wanted a partial refund. I only had a few dollars in the books (dollar box finds) and the transaction wasn't for a whole lot of money (less than 50 bucks) so I agreed on a partial instead of a return and full refund. I suggested 10 or 15, he wanted 20. I said ok whatever, just to be done with it. I make a WTB thread, he can't figure out why I blocked him after I didn't want to make an offer on his books sight unseen. Reading his posts in this thread and seeing other people's thoughts about him just confirmed my suspicions as a character to avoid.

Edited by darkstar

My crotch is feeling that very same feeling after reading the past few pages :facepalm:

Sounds like a RedRocks situation. lol

I sell a book as a 7.0 and low and behold it reappears as a "9.2" with no evidence of being pressed. No problem really, I am glad someone thinks I undergrade :banana:

Just bothers me that the same person complained that I can't grade, so I refunded him all his money for this lot (including the magic 9.2 book) and told him to keep the books I want him to be happy.

He then bumps it to a 9.2 and flips it here on the boards (it is in the same mylar and full back i sent him so i know it is the same book)

Still not a problem, but he paints a bad picture of me in my WTB thread as 'blocking him" unnecessarily.

For the record, I believe I have a good reason to block him.

Deja vu.

He did the same thing to me. Complained about books being inaccurately graded, wanted a partial refund. I only had a few dollars in the books (dollar box finds) and the transaction wasn't for a whole lot of money (less than 50 bucks) so I agreed on a partial instead of a return and full refund. I suggested 10 or 15, he wanted 20. I said ok whatever, just to be done with it. I make a WTB thread, he can't figure out why I blocked him after I didn't want to make an offer on his books sight unseen. Reading his posts in this thread and seeing other people's thoughts about him just my confirmed my suspicions as a character to avoid.

Now 4 confirmed cases. :popcorn:

Ouch!

Hey Jeff

The reason I didn't say hello is because I had better things to do like line up and witness sigs. :baiting:

Plus, Drew only told me who you where after the fact two years ago.

Did I tell you that I was busy?

You should try it. :baiting:

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

Hey Jeff

The reason I didn't say hello is because I had better things to do like line up and witness sigs. :baiting:

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

I don't think the world is quite ready for that much Canadian awesomeness.

Hey Jeff

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

lol

I have no idea what you look like. Perhaps you shouldn't work so hard.

xoxo

Jeff

Hey Jeff

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

I don't think the world is quite ready for that much Canadian awesomeness.

All the Chicago peeps aren't shy. I swear there were close to ten of your kind come up to me at the first C2E2.

BTW, CGC still hasn't paid me for being a CAW in NYCC. Should I be worried? They claimed that I was already paid. Do I have an imposter?

Do I really even care about lunch money?

xoxo

greggy