• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller DK3 Cover Reported Sold for $55K at Big Apple Show
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Thoughts?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/12/frank-miller-dark-knight-iii-6-cover-original-art-sells-55000/

Congrats to ComicConnect on the sale!  I'm sure Miller must be very happy getting that kind of price for it. 

Edited by delekkerste

"Frank Miller's stylistic, oozing figural works dramatically contrast with the murky backdrop on this dusky commissioned piece. Fans of the Lolitaesque relationship brought forth through Miller's gritty rendering of the Batman persona will melt for this imposing depiction of the dynamic duo." :blush:

Frank Miller Batman & Carrie Kelly Commission

From here on out, when I see a Batman & Carrie Kelly piece, I will think of this: hm

Edited by delekkerste

46 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Thoughts?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/12/frank-miller-dark-knight-iii-6-cover-original-art-sells-55000/

Congrats to ComicConnect on the sale!  I'm sure Miller must be very happy getting that kind of price for it. 

I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time.

I know what you mean.   As far as late period millers go I like it (certainly better than the other ones for sale) but it's still 55k for a piece I ultimately wouldn't be totally satisfied with.   

But, someone got a very nice example of his recent work so kudos to them

Edited by Bronty

that's true and all but this is more about the original dark knight series than anything else.   This piece isn't too bad an expression of that style and one from the earlier period would cost far more.   Feels to me like someone using this as a proxy (whether due to availability or cost) for a splash or cover from the original series.   It really has nothing to do with the current series, IMO.

Edited by Bronty

38 minutes ago, Bronty said:

that's true and all but this is more about the original dark knight series than anything else.   This piece isn't too bad an expression of that style and one from the earlier period would cost far more.   Feels to me like someone using this as a proxy (whether due to availability or cost) for a splash or cover from the original series.   It really has nothing to do with the current series, IMO.

I agree. My guess is that it is someone who has nostalgia for the original story and the budget to buy this page. Probably some rationalizing that great cover/splash images from the original DK story sell for multiples of the cost of this page so it has to be a good investment (or replacement). I just can’t see anyone having an emotional attachment for a new story that drives them to spend this much.

While I don't like this particular cover, it certainly was an improvement over the first DKIII variant cover he drew (featuring a short squat Batman that looked like the mythical chupacabra  :sick: ).

If you had to twist my arm and choose, I would rather buy a Jim Lee DK III variant cover at $35K and keep the extra $20K in my pocket.

As many have said, the hundreds of variant covers is a money grab by DC and some of the various artists, looking to cash in on the nostalgia of the first series.  Not worth the premium IMHO.  For FM fans on a budget, spend  $1K and have Frank do a sketch cover that's CGC signature series where it's graded.

Cheers!

N.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

"Frank Miller's stylistic, oozing figural works dramatically contrast with the murky backdrop on this dusky commissioned piece. Fans of the Lolitaesque relationship brought forth through Miller's gritty rendering of the Batman persona will melt for this imposing depiction of the dynamic duo." :blush:

Frank Miller Batman & Carrie Kelly Commission

From here on out, when I see a Batman & Carrie Kelly piece, I will think of this: hm

Can't lie.  I watched it.

What is the possibility that the buyer would be able to recoup their cost on this piece if they decide to sell? As I originally said, I'm surprised, but I'm not surprised - meaning this is technically a 'Dark Knight' cover by Frank Miller, but not that Dark Knight or even that Frank Miller.

I can see this being what many have said... a substitution purchase in an attempt to fill the void for an original Dark Knight piece that the buyer perhaps doesn't believe they'll ever manage to acquire, so of course there may have been a lot of emotion wrapped up in this purchase. However, as people here often say when talking about single items with large amounts of capital tied up in them, eventually people reach an age where they begin to think about liquidation. 

Even with the passage of decades, I never see this image becoming more desirable than it is now. Is this just me? Those of you that have made large OA purchases of this caliber, how often have you pulled the trigger without a care as to whether you'd ever see the money again? If you've so before, did you change your mind as time passed?

Just as an aside, I mean no disrespect to the buyer, if they happen to frequent the boards I really hope this isn't read that way, I'm just curious about the psychology behind this type of purchase since I highly doubt I'll ever swim in those waters and live it first hand.

I never got a Lolita vibe from Carrie. Not even close.

I like some of these CC/Metropolis pieces a lot (I agree that the style in which they are done is a conscious comment by FM) but $ for $ I would go with the stuff Mitch just had over these pieces any day of the week. But that is what is great about the hobby, others can feel differently and both views can be true.

I think 99% of collectors have substitute pieces throughout their collections. I have a Kirby Captain America page framed on the wall that is in the bottom 2% of Kirby pages, but this was available and I had the money so it is mine now. But that also insults the art as I didn't have to buy it, could have bought any number of things instead, and still have it over a decade later. It is no longer a substitute for anything; it is a cool page I own that I like and have displayed in my home. What I could have done or could do in the future is irrelevant - I bought the art as I liked what I saw when I saw it. Talking about what it isn't is fine I guess, but talking about what it is is so much more enjoyable, to me at least.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just sayin'.

19 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Can't lie.  I watched it.

It's great. :cloud9:

19 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I can see this being what many have said... a substitution purchase in an attempt to fill the void for an original Dark Knight piece that the buyer perhaps doesn't believe they'll ever manage to acquire, so of course there may have been a lot of emotion wrapped up in this purchase. However, as people here often say when talking about single items with large amounts of capital tied up in them, eventually people reach an age where they begin to think about liquidation. 

Even with the passage of decades, I never see this image becoming more desirable than it is now. Is this just me? Those of you that have made large OA purchases of this caliber, how often have you pulled the trigger without a care as to whether you'd ever see the money again? If you've so before, did you change your mind as time passed?

I can't believe that anyone who has $55K to spend on this cover would consider it to be any kind of replacement/substitution for a killer piece from the original DKR.  

As an important aside, there are competing factions looking to represent Frank Miller in his art sales.  I wonder how that is affecting the sales of the art. hm