• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Cool Lines "alternate" covers?

21 posts in this topic

I know it's a comic book world in this image, here, but the total illogic of the combination is galling. The lava men are clearly radiating heat standing on ground, while Namor is clearly submerged.  Comical.  I don't have a membership to the JBF, but I'd love to know what Byrne thinks. 

Edit - I just noticed .... someone added, very badly, about an inch or two to the bottom of the lava men... you can see the line across the bottom.  Doesn't even begin to look like Byrne.  Could have been a production assistant, but really?  Oh well...

Edited by Flambit
Added the second paragraph observation

8 hours ago, Bill C said:

I know many here feel that the Cool Lines business model is uniquely it's own- but interestingly enough there is actually another seller out there- on ebay/CAF, who is asking about 4x for what some pieces are worth, and actually tried the "I have to ask my brother" line on me when I inquired about a piece they had. This other seller does have a 100% fb rating on ebay, but then again I believe a major comic trimmer does also so take the fb for what they are worth there.

What is the ID? They have multiple eBay IDs. 

4 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

To be fair.. their eBay listing of this piece does show the piece without the stats:

http://ebay.to/2nD4zoi

RickyB

Also, to be fair, they aren't pricing the piece as a published Byrne cover.  It's overpriced for what it is, but it still isn't at that level.

We can assume it was started as a cover concept, since JB was using the Marvel Cover paper of the time.  For once, the cover dress is just fun window dressing.

4 minutes ago, thethedew said:

Also, to be fair, they aren't pricing the piece as a published Byrne cover.  It's overpriced for what it is, but it still isn't at that level.

We can assume it was started as a cover concept, since JB was using the Marvel Cover paper of the time.  For once, the cover dress is just fun window dressing.

Unless a commissioner requested it to be on Bristol and he happened to have some old Marvel laying around.  Also why is it dated Dec 4. 1986?  Avengers 305/306 were in 1989.

As usual, prospective buyers from Coollines need to be knowledgeable, ask questions, be skeptical, don't take any descriptions or pieces at face value, etc. and don't buy unless there is an acceptable degree of certainty or one is willing to take the risks.

21 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

As usual, prospective buyers from Coollines need to be knowledgeable, ask questions, be skeptical, don't take any descriptions or pieces at face value, etc. and don't buy unless there is an acceptable degree of certainty or one is willing to take the risks.

Typically when all of these things are the norm, you're paying bargain basement prices. This sort of behavior only works in this type of market, they'd be out of business selling almost anything else faster than you can blink, but for OA, inventory is king.

23 minutes ago, Bill C said:

The Dec 4 1986 date on the paper is not unique to this- the original cover to Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (1990 series, but drawn in 1989) has the same Dec 4 1986 date on it IIRC.

I'm wondering if Marvel had paper mass produced on that date?

I'll ask.  Do you have a link to the Guardians cover?  The 1991 series has the later paper.

Apparently it was common with the Bristol board of that time period.  Here is a HA auction description of Punisher War Journal #7 saying it was preprinted on the board.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/jim-lee-and-carl-potts-punisher-war-journal-7-cover-wolverine-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/7139-92122.s

5 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Unless a commissioner requested it to be on Bristol and he happened to have some old Marvel laying around.  Also why is it dated Dec 4. 1986?  Avengers 305/306 were in 1989.

Assuming JB even intended it to be an Avengers cover.  When was he doing Namor?  Could just as easily been a rejected cover from that run, Coollines is who has slapped an 'Avengers' logo on the piece...

27 minutes ago, thethedew said:

Assuming JB even intended it to be an Avengers cover.  When was he doing Namor?  Could just as easily been a rejected cover from that run, Coollines is who has slapped an 'Avengers' logo on the piece...

If you look on the scan, there are two erased word bubbles.  One the right side reads "Guess where the rest of the Avengers are...!"  On the left it reads "Sub-Mariner is in a spot of [bother]"  (I think it's bother but not sure).  He did Namor in 1990-1991.  (Issues 1-25 I think)  None of the covers look even similar to this one, nor do they seem to feature the avengers in a way that would make sense with those bubbles.  

On 3/19/2017 at 8:10 PM, Shemp said:

Its the wrong cover.

306.jpg

av306.00-unpub.jpg.php.jpg

I agree with Shemp.  I don't know, of course, but my suspicion is that maybe JB started a pass at the 306 cover but never finished it for some reason.  But the final 306 cover does have both Namor and the lava men...

I guess I'm going to have to finally join the JBF so I can ask!

Although... I'm a little afraid of actually interacting with JB...