• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comic(s) that made you claw your eyes out

78 posts in this topic

Avengers Disassembled... Vision blew up and turned into Ultrons, Wanda summons an armada of ships out of the blue, Hawkeye killed himself because he ran out of arrows, Agatha Harkness has been crispy-dead for years... when Jigsaw broke Spider-Man's arm a few issues later, I decided that my goal in life is to find BM Bendis' car, and take a dump on it.

Back in the 80s, when DC revived Doom Patrol, the first few issues were drawn by Steve Lightle. His style was fluid and smooth. However, (sound of impending doom) Erik Larsen then took over the book and the stylistic change could not have been more jarring. I truly wanted to claw my eyes out 

So much to echo....

Image....Liefeld....Larsen....

Milgrom and Sal B most of the time....Frank Robbins while we are at it

Avengers disassembled and that Crossing thing just before it...And Avengers Forever...and every convoluted Kang storyline

And....and I'll be in the minority here, but most of Byrne absent Claremont and Austin is just pretty pictures, and not all that pretty without Austin. His FF turned me off, especially seeing Galactus dropped. And his Man of Steel Superman reboot is rarely discussed but really did not accomplish anything to boost the popularity of a lagging icon. When stood next to Perez' Wonder Woman and Miller's Batman work, it really lags.

Pelt away, Byrne fanboys, but just my probably minority dissent:tonofbricks:

27 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I loved Byrne's FF. I really liked his work back then when he inked himself.

His Superman stuff was okay. 

I can understand the Sal Buscema dislike but I always enjoyed his stuff until he started trying to mimic Simonson. His later Peter Parker work can be tough to look at. I like his 70s and early 80s stuff. It's quintessential Marvel to me for that era.

Edited by Likefro

1 hour ago, Likefro said:

Back in the 80s, when DC revived Doom Patrol, the first few issues were drawn by Steve Lightle. His style was fluid and smooth. However, (sound of impending doom) Erik Larsen then took over the book and the stylistic change could not have been more jarring. I truly wanted to claw my eyes out 

The Fecal Age! :banana:

If we're talking awful comics., most Marvel moderns give me a lot of trouble just to complete.

i remember buying a Creepshow comic as a kid that really wigged me out. I can't remember the issue but thought to myself WTH did I just buy.

On 4 April 2017 at 5:15 PM, lizards2 said:

He should only be allowed to draw his traditional constipated characters?  :whistle:

Liefeld's characters sometimes look worse, as if they're in excruciating pain, blocked up with life-threatening impaction.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

lol

As a 70s kid , I like a lot of Byrne's work.

His last really strong creative period for me is the early 90s; Namor, Omac and Next Men.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

lol

As a 70s kid , I like a lot of Byrne's work.

His last really strong creative period for me is the early 90s; Namor, Omac and Next Men.

Like I said, I'm probably in the minority....but I view him as analogous to a ball player that has a few superstar years then plays 15 more solid, unremarkable seasons. Lotsa solid art, though only the Dan Green-inked Avengers run approaches Austin over his pencils. And much of his storytelling for me falls short  to flat-out annoys. (There are outliers...FF#250 for sure). Don't get me wrong, comics has seen many weaker contributors....I just feel he has a very uneven body of work.

And Sasquatch had the most irritating personality ever!

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Like I said, I'm probably in the minority....but I view him as analogous to a ball player that has a few superstar years then plays 15 more solid, unremarkable seasons. Lotsa solid art, though only the Dan Green-inked Avengers run approaches Austin over his pencils. And much of his storytelling for me falls short  to flat-out annoys. (There are outliers...FF#250 for sure). Don't get me wrong, comics has seen many weaker contributors....I just feel he has a very uneven body of work.

And Sasquatch had the most irritating personality ever!

I never much cared for Alpha Flight myself either.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

893665.jpg

Good lord this looks like the very first project in a digital art class using very old software.  wtf.  I literally clawed at my eyes just to say I did it.

Edited by kav

On 4/5/2017 at 8:37 AM, Likefro said:

I loved Byrne's FF. I really liked his work back then when he inked himself.

His Superman stuff was okay. 

I can understand the Sal Buscema dislike but I always enjoyed his stuff until he started trying to mimic Simonson. His later Peter Parker work can be tough to look at. I like his 70s and early 80s stuff. It's quintessential Marvel to me for that era.

I feel the same way about Sal. It wasn't flashy, but it was a solid house style with consistent storytelling.  I can understand the dislike of the later stuff where he was aping an edgier style, but for the most part I think he did very solid work, and I will always defend it!

8 hours ago, kav said:

Good lord this looks like the very first project in a digital art class using very old software.  wtf.  I literally clawed at my eyes just to say I did it.

8 hours ago, Likefro said:

What the hell is that? lol Breadstick armed War Machine

The interior art reaches the same standard.