• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redneck by Donny Cates and Lisandro Estherren Skybound
1 1

168 posts in this topic

So the 9.8. ashcan sold for $365 as for the foil cover their are 2 available 1 per store like the ashcan they should be receiving them this week i think.

Thank you variant and the 25th anniversary variant.

update The Authority was correct as always silver foil 2 per store. lol excited to get a few ebay will be a crazy place next week. lol

Screenshot_20170422-095437.jpg

Screenshot_20170422-095415.jpg

Edited by Emezy360

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, freecharlie said:

I'm excited for the upcoming variants next week, but my best friend just secured both books for $4 each from our lcs. It's off putting to see Midtown charge so much, when some people will get their copies for cover. I'd understand an inflated price for this well written and extremely well ordered title, but $200+ is just gouging the supporters and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I should just get some scope, and let Midtown do what they'd like, but it's hard to watch them slap outrageous prices on some books. 

I'm happy someone felt these variants are worth that price, but I feel bad for the buyers who aren't able to purchase at a more realistic cost. 

On a final note, this book sold out at one of my favorite lcs (max 2 person) in the first hour, and they ordered 70 copies. Everyone and their mother had their sites set on Redneck, and one dude was trying to buy copies from each customer by offering $6 a piece. He managed to find a few people willing, but most held their copies tight. I've never seen this happen before, and the store allowed him to do it as long as he didn't make things uncomfortable to customers. 

Your store should have sent the guy packing. Not to mention how slimy that is, but if I was a customer and the store let somebody do that then I wouldn't be back.

That's what I hate about our hobby now the speculators that deny fans a chance to read the book at cover price. I don't mind buying an extra book or two to make some money, but when you are hanging out trying to buy a book from customers that ridiculous.

I read the book yesterday my local shops still had copies and its a good start. The art's not fantastic by any means, but the story drags you in and keeps you.

Just finished #1.  Really like the set up.  Cates is a good storyteller.  I like the art because it fits the grimy story.  It reminds me of Scalped, Souhern Bastards, Lemire's work, and quite a few more amazing books that don't really have the greatest art, but it seems to fit really well with the story telling.  I've been excited about this book for awhile and I'm in for the haul.  :headbang:

On 4/22/2017 at 0:24 PM, Emezy360 said:

So the 9.8. ashcan sold for $365 as for the foil cover their are 2 available 1 per store like the ashcan they should be receiving them this week i think.

Thank you variant and the 25th anniversary variant.

update The Authority was correct as always silver foil 2 per store. lol excited to get a few ebay will be a crazy place next week. lol

Screenshot_20170422-095437.jpg

Screenshot_20170422-095415.jpg

All over the place today!

Do you guys think this series has staying power? It sold out so fast, the variants went bonkers but have since come back down to earth...

I have 1 ashcan, 1 regular, one c2e2 exclusive, and 2 sets of the retailers foil variants. Everything is 9.8

Should i move these quick or hang on to them? thoughts?

Well, when was the last time a book exploded on to the scene like this and maintained it's value or continued to rise? That is really all you can do is try to make predictions based off of the past and your own intuition drawn from how you feel about the book.

The generic advice is that the first to market in these instances make a killing and that time has passed.

I think it depends on the continued success and growth of the fanbase. Of course right now, theres going to be a lot of flipping since the book is so hot. If the series goes quietly into the mix of all other series, then you should have sold. If it becomes a good series and gaining fans, then value might increase on some books.

Look at the Seven to Eternity model and how its continuing to do well.

Also its worth noting that the gold and silvers were sent to retailers so of course those are all going to show up on eBay immediately. Once those are gone (depending on the print run of them), I do wonder what the price of those will do and where it will stabilize. The big question to me is where will the value of #1 be when issue 4 or 5 is being released. 

Fair enough. I'm kinda hoping this will fall in the Saga footsteps... I could sell now and make a tidy profit but I haven't seen a series blow up out of the door like this since Saga...

I'd hate to see the ashcan or these foils hit 700$ in 9.8 in a couple years and iv'e already sold em..

7 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I still think too many, too similar covers. And the reemergence of foil makes me go 'meh.'

I think these look really good. I don't think they needed two though. They should have just stuck with the one Gold foil and that was all. Ive bought a few of both and have a few of issue #1. Im going to get them signed, offload some now, keep a couple a little longer then offload and then keep a couple in my personal collection for if the series takes off. I like it. 

Just now, kevhtx said:

I think these look really good. I don't think they needed two though. They should have just stuck with the one Gold foil and that was all. Ive bought a few of both and have a few of issue #1. Im going to get them signed, offload some now, keep a couple a little longer then offload and then keep a couple in my personal collection for if the series takes off. I like it. 

I think they look fine too, but it is a lazy 'variant' - same exact image, but it has silver foil. Same exact image, but it's a sketch. Same exact image but it's gold foil. I've never liked that methodology, especially for a #1.

In the long run I won't care about that though, I just want to enjoy the story.

I hope this extends to a very long run. I think they can go a lot of places with a story like this. Look at true blood, or really any vampire series. People love that mess!