• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subbing a PGX book to CGC
1 1

22 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GLCBrad said:

Do I need to crack it myself first or can I send them the slab?

I would get it pressed though, might be the only way to win that fight! I did with an ASM 129 still waiting to hear back, but I cracked it myself and saw that the book looked to be in good shape but had a significant spine roll. PGX gave it a 5.5, so I'm hoping for better lol But I wanted it cracked to look at it first etc. I don't know if you can get grader's notes on the other guys so maybe cracking is an option.

Of course CGC would be happy to do it for you :) 

Don't mean to sound stupid (although I will), but do you need to crack the slab or just send it sealed to CGC? Always just sent raw books. I was thinking of sending a book from the Forbidden Grader, not PGX though... guess it'd work the same...

edit-already answered. Ugh. Edited by Silver Ager

The only reason to crack would be to check for undisclosed restoration or missing/ torn pages before sending in. PGX is not considered reliable when it comes to such things. 

On 4/24/2017 at 8:04 PM, GLCBrad said:

Do I need to crack it myself first or can I send them the slab?

As other people have stated, you can just mail them the slab.  Somebody somewhere sometime indicated you should include a note giving them permission to crack the slab and grade (or press and grade) the book.  I don't know whether that note is actually required, but I include it.

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What's the book?

Nothing too exciting, just a modern key I got at a good enough price to roll the dice on switching firms. I am thinking about including it in a pre-screen invoice.

Thanks for the answers everyone 

I would never send a PGX book in without cracking it out of the slab and checking for missing coupons, hidden resto, etc...

I do buy PGX from time to time (if it's a deal I can't refuse), but I cross my fingers every time I crack one.  Every once in a while a coupon is missing or there's some other major flaw.

2 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

The book I subbed thankfully graded at 9.8. It finalized today. 

Risk/reward victory

We never found out the book lol I guess it doesn't matter though..... Congrats! curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back :) 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We never found out the book lol I guess it doesn't matter though..... Congrats! curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back :) 

Oh yeah I forgot! Lol.  Invincible 1. 

Puny modern!

I recently Purchased an Action Comics 252 5.5 PGX, I cracked it and pressed it. I submitted it to CGC and it came back 3.5 QUALIFIED!! I know PGX sucks and you can get get buys from time to time but seriously do they know how to grade and look for restoration and if pages have been married? I was at the Las Vegas show this last weekend and they had a booth. They didn't look like they knew what was going on. Just sitting at a table with a few flyers and the employees...  If you were there you will know what I'm talking about.

I recently rolled the dice on a Wolverine 35 PGX 9.8 from eBay, for a $30 bill it was worth the gamble.  The book not only had a blunted and torn corner at the upper spine but also...drum roll...a freakin' dust shadow on the front cover.  It was too laughable to even get upset about.  Hopefully they "authenticate" some more Steve Ditko signatures soon, they're a scourge on the entire hobby.