• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, walclark said:

This is the only copy in the census, but I do have a raw copy.  Wonder if Schomburg did any other sports covers?

412460259_reallife49001.thumb.jpg.61f8f9a6ff710a2c0e0b6b9aeb6914c7.jpg

Good question.  I'm thinking that he did, but I can't remember specifically which they were. 

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 8/24/2018 at 7:47 PM, walclark said:

This is the only copy in the census, but I do have a raw copy.  Wonder if Schomburg did any other sports covers?

412460259_reallife49001.thumb.jpg.61f8f9a6ff710a2c0e0b6b9aeb6914c7.jpg

Good question.  I'm thinking that he did, but I can't remember specifically which they were. 

I was interested too so I did a quick, less than exhaustive search on GCD.  May be stretches (especially the Kathy) but..

Horse Racing

292548.jpg.f28a339afa63c7bfa334ecaa8e38b473.jpg

Car Racing

206823.jpg.722a45a24e7e072778ac0f0a059f3dca.jpg

Figure Skating

190907.jpg.13da317a023fe51aac95381d3145e07c.jpg

Edited by telerites

Love those Schomburg Real Life sports covers. :applause:

The fact some books are well represented in the census while others aren't begs for qualifiers since  rarity isn't the only reason a book might lack significant numbers.  For instance, it's logical to assume that a lower valued book is less likely to be submitted for grading and representation in the census ...than a high value book... due to the costs involved with encapsulation verses the estimated return on the book.

I wouldn't mind seeing a thread that takes both census numbers and estimated value into account.  Perhaps an arbitrary OSG value for low-grade books would help separate books of lower demand that are under-represented in the census from truly rare books. hm

Now that that's out of the way, here's my latest acquisition, straight from Chicago Wizard.  With only four copies in the census, two of which are graded 1.5, it's fair to say that this prized book can honestly be described as rare... 

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zps

Yeah, I'm feelin' the spirit! :acclaim:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Even more words!

On 8/23/2018 at 4:00 PM, Redbeard said:

One thing about the CGC census that should always be considered is what was the Guide price when slabbing started. That is oft times completely overlooked. When slabbing books began, we were slabbing the more valuable books, primarily early superhero books from the GA and SA 1st issues and keys. There was very little slabbing of BA to present books. Back to the GA, what my above comment means is that many titles that were not very valuable back then went unslabbed. We were not slabbing $50 or less books. That eliminates many of the non-superhero titles. So, when you look at the census, take this into consideration. When you see a romance book with only 3 graded, does that mean it is rare or tough to find? Probably not, it just mean that not many were slabbed. Ditto on many of the now hot area of PCH books that have skyrocketed. Bottom line, don't get fooled into thinking you have a tough-to-find or scarce book because of the low number of books in the census. Use common sense, and talk to some of the old-timers. Ask them about warehouse finds, etc.

Wow Ron, thanks for the insight. Can you suggest some "old-timers" to talk to?

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Rick Evans, Rich Halegua, John Knight, Sal Dichiera, Bob Barrett, Terry Stroud, David T Alexander, Bob Overstreet, etc.

4 minutes ago, Microbia said:

Just got this one enshrined, and it is tied with three others for the grade. While total number of copies remains under 10,  it’s hard to believe there are only two higher unrestored examples on census. 

6921FE33-654E-49B9-A9A3-19790C23C799.jpeg

Tough book and most copies are lower grade that i have seen,one i need to grade.I remember talking to George Tuska about it in the 90's a great skull cover in my opinion (thumbsu   

bullseye.jpg.378d6904d3c9f06818db050c87d4b2c7.jpg

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Tough book and most copies are lower grade that i have seen,one i need to grade.I remember talking to George Tuska about it in the 90's a great skull cover in my opinion (thumbsu   

bullseye.jpg.378d6904d3c9f06818db050c87d4b2c7.jpg

Awesome- Your smokin’ copy is bloody redder than mine!

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Highest graded of three copies on the census.

LargeFeature9_zpsc58107d1.jpg

Another Central Valley beauty! :cloud9:

37 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Another Central Valley beauty! :cloud9:

So right.  I believe they surpass Church copies for preservation.   The popularity of the titles lacks, though.

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Has to be about the whitest cover I've ever seen on a book as early as 1942.

I would defy anyone to show me one better.

20 hours ago, cheetah said:
On 8/28/2018 at 3:15 PM, Sqeggs said:

Five on the census with this copy in a three-way tie for highest graded.

sup_zpsphurclxr.JPG

My old copy.

I think these are fun books, but, apart from the two Hitler covers, they don't tend to sell for much.  Not too many GA books that you can say that about these days!