• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the going price for 'drek'?

28 posts in this topic

Whats the going price for 'drek'?

If i find a longbox of junk books on craigslist, but want to buy just for the fun of sorting & digging ... 

What's the going price on a longbox of probable garbage? 

I assume 200 books at $0.15 each = ask to buy for $30-40 per box? 

Assuming the stuff is in decent shape (not coverless, water damaged, bug-eaten) I'll usually pay about 10-11 cents per book, or $25-$30 per longbox.

Dealers seem to pay $15-$20 but I find readers / collectors don't mind paying $25-$30 for a long box of drek. 

Reading about that comic heaven that you are living on your side of the atlantic puddle have got me thinking... It would be ideal for me to pair up with another collector from the forum and sharing in the hunt for drek. Someone who hunts longboxes and have a main focus on DC and indies (as my focus is Marvel). I take the Marvel and the other fellow take all other stuff.

I made the calculations, and shipping a long box from the US to Sweden (around 300 comics sans bags & boards) would cost about 200$, add 50$ for a long box of drek (sure, 25-30$ is a sum that's mentioned above, but the hunter/sorter should have something for the trouble) and it would still come out at less than a dollar/comic. To give you some perspective, "drek" over here goes for around the equivalent of 2-3$ each. (On the other hand, one can strike gold sometimes as not all are as astute on to what might be valuable) The problem is, where to find a trustworthy compadre. hm

1 minute ago, Ssantoss said:

Reading about that comic heaven that you are living on your side of the atlantic puddle have got me thinking... It would be ideal for me to pair up with another collector from the forum and sharing in the hunt for drek. Someone who hunts longboxes and have a main focus on DC and indies (as my focus is Marvel). I take the Marvel and the other fellow take all other stuff.

I made the calculations, and shipping a long box from the US to Sweden (around 300 comics sans bags & boards) would cost about 200$, add 50$ for a long box of drek (sure, 25-30$ is a sum that's mentioned above, but the hunter/sorter should have something for the trouble) and it would still come out at less than a dollar/comic. To give you some perspective, "drek" over here goes for around the equivalent of 2-3$ each. (On the other hand, one can strike gold sometimes as not all are as astute on to what might be valuable) The problem is, where to find a trustworthy compadre. hm

I had some preliminary talks trying to do this with comic art. I talked to a collector in Italy, then his friend, but in the end they were not interested.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I had some preliminary talks trying to do this with comic art. I talked to a collector in Italy, then his friend, but in the end they were not interested.

What is your major collector focus then?

1 minute ago, Ssantoss said:

What is your major collector focus then?

Basically looking for Toppi, Moebius, that sort of thing. Mid range four figure stuff. Basically, someone who knows the market and has needs that I could look for over here. I can't read the foreign auction houses in Italian or Spanish and figure an OA collector knows where to look in Europe and I generally know where to look here.

I'll sell 800 drekky books for $40 as well! (Keeping it on topic, but I have purchased collections and have a lot of drek left over.)

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Dealers seem to pay $15-$20 but I find readers / collectors don't mind paying $25-$30 for a long box of drek. 

The Clown has spoken.  (worship)

Heed his advice, or he will visit your closet tonight. :sumo:

On 5/1/2017 at 5:52 PM, Ssantoss said:

Maybe you can arrange to get a shipping container and have it filled with drek and open a comic shop in Sweden.  Will be cheaper than $200 a long box to ship.  Dunno about customs though.  Someone here did this analysis for moving to australia i think (was it $6K?).  probably cheaper to ship to sweden or elsewhere in the E.U. 

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Maybe you can arrange to get a shipping container and have it filled with drek and open a comic shop in Sweden.  Will be cheaper than $200 a long box to ship.  Dunno about customs though.  Someone here did this analysis for moving to australia i think (was it $6K?).  probably cheaper to ship to sweden or elsewhere in the E.U. 

I remember someone from the States shipped at least a pallet of books to FlamingTelepath in England.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

That would be a dream come true, but the market wouldn't support a comic shop here. Rent for retail space is abysmal (I've checked, I once had an idea for a store containing everything geek/nerdrelated collectibles, loot, litterature and similar) and taxes are beyond evil agains small businesses.

I have however considered if anyone would buy and ship me some gerber products, Hard to figure out the weight and volume for it though. Maybe a pallet is the way to go?

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

As of an hour ago

STILL ZERO

Wow those Batman Dark Night's are PURE drek ! after seller pays for shipping and fees he probably making 75 cents total ...and they still don't sell

Edited by 1950's war comics