• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused on "danger" in storing books in safes??

8 posts in this topic

Confused on "danger" in storing books in safes??

As best I can determine, there is a consensus that storing books in safes promotes rust to staples. But after researching the subject, I can't find a logical scientific basis for such a blanket indictment of all safes. I get that some safes have liquid insulation, their interiors "sweat", and that such safes would absolutely not be suitable for comic storage. But what about gun safes with drywall insulation? What possible danger could they pose to comics?

Any safe that allows air flow through it is safe for storing comics. Any safe that is air tight and/or is sold a fire proof requires further investigation as these may promote moisture build up.

I've been using a safe for my better comics, both raw and slabbed, for nearly 15 years with no visible harm. I have an EvaDry unit and a hygrometer inside the safe. I also keep a small stack of comic book staples open in the safe. I check everything weekly, air it out a little. Years ago, someone posted a pic of his slabbed 9.8 Hulk 181 that had terribly rusted staples from being inside his safe. I admit, the image haunts me to this day, but there must have been something else going on there ? I don't remember anyone else posting here that they had similar problems. 

Fireproof safes are manufactured with a desiccant that releases steam when heated to protect against burning.  That moisture can weep out over time and promote rust, particularly if there isn't good air flow.  Most gun safes are not manufactured with this feature, so as not to promote rust.  The danger to staples is primarily a function of whether or not the safe has that desiccant within it.  

On 06/05/2017 at 10:07 PM, MrBedrock said:

Any safe that allows air flow through it is safe for storing comics. Any safe that is air tight and/or is sold a fire proof requires further investigation as these may promote moisture build up.

In a nutshell (thumbsu

I use Moisture Eliminator that I bought from the Dollar Tree to trap the excess moisture. It does trap a lot of moisture! Just make sure the Moisture Eliminator does not leak! 

Does the climate one lives in have a big impact on this?  I live in west texas and it is almost a desert.  I would think this might be a much bigger problem in Houston, Florida, Louisiana, places like that.  Or does that not even matter?

3 minutes ago, ender said:

Does the climate one lives in have a big impact on this?  I live in west texas and it is almost a desert.  I would think this might be a much bigger problem in Houston, Florida, Louisiana, places like that.  Or does that not even matter?

Absolutely, cool and dry is best.  I live in northern Canada and our climate is very cool and dry and a lot of nice, white page books come out of here.