• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anti-Stalin before it was cool: Catman 3
3 3

54 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

A bit suspicious that you would know that. hm

If they’re welcome, later on some more bolscevic villainy (not just Stalin) from italian and french comics and periodicals. (thumbsu
Now I’m a bit swamped as I have our most important convention of antiquary comics here in Italy.

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

If they’re welcome, later on some more bolscevic villainy (not just Stalin) from italian and french comics and periodicals. (thumbsu
Now I’m a bit swamped as I have our most important convention of antiquary comics here in Italy.

Love to see them when you have the time. Thanks!

16 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Interesting thread.  Especially like the anti-Stalin covers that predate our entry into WW2.  Here's another copy of one you've already seen from the ally period!

(Kudos to the new index page or I'd have never seen this thread).

Thanks! Much appreciated, as this was my intent in doing the index discussion. :)

On 5/26/2017 at 10:26 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 5/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, vaillant said:

Love to see them when you have the time. Thanks!

I totally forgot to scan that one in 2017, but I still have it.

I recently acquired this very cool italian magazine with a cover that I find awesome.
I have managed to find another copy which I will put on sale before I wrap up my current WW2-period global thread. :)

Gioventù in Armi No_14 (1941)_f.jpg

On 5/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, Sqeggs said:

Is there another instance of a WW II-era comic that has an anti-Stalin cover?  I know that Young Allies 1 was originally intended to have one, but then Hitler invaded the Soviet Union and the cover was redrawn.

Of course, once the Cold War started, there were anti-Stalin covers, but I'm having trouble thinking of another one from WW II.

This was inspired by looking at Berk's copy on CC.

Anti Stalin covers have ALWAYS been cool - just ask Patton. 

On 5/8/2017 at 8:22 PM, Sqeggs said:

Good one!  Can't recall ever having seen it.

Presumably these covers (if there are any more) would have to have been published in the window between August 1939 when Stalin became Hitler's ally and June 1941 when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union and Stalin became a de facto ally of the United States.

I think it was really following the Soviet Winter War with Finland in 1939-1940 that  U.S. public opinion really got riled up against him.

When Germany and the USSR divided up Poland, the line was drawn but the German invasion of mother Russia made things the reverse.