• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something Rotten on Ebay?

31 posts in this topic

How does David Alexander get away with this?

BOY COMMANDOS #1-CGC 7.0-JACK KIRBY-DC-1942-RARE Item number: 6529719788 Sold for less than 40% ($1052.12) of Overstreet on May-09-05

Then as if Miracle the following item ...

BOY COMMANDOS #1-CGC 7.0-JACK KIRBY-DC-1942-RARE Item number: 6531947772 is now available again but at 68% of Overstreet ($1799.99) on May-12-05 ?

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Anyone done any business with this apparent dishonest seller?

Yes - long story but years ago David invited me into his home, showed me huge stacks of books I would never have otherwise seen, and offered me a selection of multiple copies of Hulk #3 - the last Hulk I needed to complete a collection I had been working on for over 15 years. Oh, and he didn't know me from Adam.

Thanks David T. Alexander!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

There is no proven foul here. Scans are nice and big...so he's not hiding the serial number. Yes, it is obviously the same book. But the 1st thought would be that the original buyer reniged on completing the purchase....so he relisted. 5 days is plenty of time to contact a buyer and find out if he's going to pay.

Yes, this may raise an eyebrow given the number of folks on the boards who have moaned about the guy. However, I'm in agreement that it could easily be that the buyer backed out and DTA simply relisted @ more $. This was my initial impression.

I have no personal qualms with the guy, with the exception of his constant relisting of the same material on eBay at high starting bids. If he'd start his low grade stuff out at reasonable opening bids I'd probably go for a few items.

Like most sellers, this guy has had people on these boards who are on either side of the fence in regards to his reputation. You'll have that in any hobby, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is no proven foul here. Scans are nice and big...so he's not hiding the serial number. Yes, it is obviously the same book. But the 1st thought would be that the original buyer reniged on completing the purchase....so he relisted. 5 days is plenty of time to contact a buyer and find out if he's going to pay.

I find it hard to believe that the buyer could not come up with $1052 for a comic that guides out at nearly $2700. I think high bidder king_oil is a friend of Daves and a shill bidder at that. How can anyone pass on a golden age DC at 40% of guide.

I can't!

I find it hard to believe that the buyer could not come up with $1052 for a comic that guides out at nearly $2700. I think high bidder king_oil is a friend of Daves and a shill bidder at that. How can anyone pass on a golden age DC at 40% of guide.

I can't!

I did purchase a couple FN graded GA books from DTA a couple of months ago (on two separate occassions). They were accurately graded (at least FN-) and sold at guide value.

That being said, it does seem a little suspicious that he'd relist the book at $1,799 when the original guy wasn't even willing to pay $1,052. I think it's very likely that shilling was involved with the first transaction.

I can't!

I'm sure that "Buttock" or someone else here will set me straight ... but isn't "king_oil" Bruce Ellsworth? confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't!

I can. Skybolt's right. It is quite conceivable that in such an auction buyer remorse kicks in when the winner asks "how come this book went so cheap; there must be something wrong." My first impression looking at these auctions was it was a relisting when buyer failed to pay. Nothing funny at all.

This seller has a reputation of flooding ebay with low grade (sometimes overgraded) sometimes overpriced GA. Nothing else ever said on these boards (and plenty has been) raised questions of his character, and several (including Borock) have defended him quite fervently. You'll need more than what you've presented to begin to question this guy's actions here.

I can. Skybolt's right.

Skybolt is most likely correct when he said: That being said, it does seem a little suspicious that he'd relist the book at $1,799 when the original guy wasn't even willing to pay $1,052. I think it's very likely that shilling was involved with the first transaction.

Shill bidding is an UGLY business!

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I can. Skybolt's right.

Skybolt is most likely correct when he said: That being said, it does seem a little suspicious that he'd relist the book at $1,799 when the original guy wasn't even willing to pay $1,052. I think it's very likely that shilling was involved with the first transaction.

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

confused.gif I thought unsubstantiated claims belonged in the General section of the boards confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif All conspiracy theorists really like it better in the General section.

so basically what you're saying, is the testimony of the people here who have had dealings with the man - and give him the benefit of the doubt - are just to be dismissed? then why did you ask for others' opinions?

i'm sorry, but i'm inclined to believe the board members before i'm ready to call a man a thief for relisting one book. i hope you never have to have similar circumstances, and ask for the benefit of the doubt here, because you're going to get run out on a rail

I can. Skybolt's right.

confused.gif I thought unsubstantiated claims belonged in the General section of the boards confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif All conspiracy theorists really like it better in the General section.

Maybe if we move it there the wolves will come out in full force?

Anyone done any business with this apparent dishonest seller?

Yes - long story but years ago David invited me into his home, showed me huge stacks of books I would never have otherwise seen, and offered me a selection of multiple copies of Hulk #3 - the last Hulk I needed to complete a collection I had been working on for over 15 years. Oh, and he didn't know me from Adam.

Thanks David T. Alexander!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, sounds like a real b@stard! 27_laughing.gif