• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Bird said:

I was younger and quite surprised at how things went down for both of these guys. Byrne's line was long and I was stunned and away from his table before I even knew what had happened! Peter David at least took the time to speak to me for a bit, all the while making fun of me for the benefit of the woman next to him.  (shrug) He kinda gloried in the attention and power. But I was again kind of flabbergasted about the whole thing. I haven't been back to his table since then, 20 or so years now. And in that time his popularity has waxed & waned and there have been times when he was just sitting there with no line, but I just shook my head and moved on.

I never understood how Peter David was ever so popular...

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'd say of all of the creators I've met, David and Byrne were the rudest. Well, i take that back; Peter David was the CRANKIEST, and Byrne was the rudest, wouldn't even look up or speak to the fans, and I only had one book for him to sign. Busiek was pretty rude as well. I know that they're all humans, and they all have bad days, but some of these dudes have been straight up any time I've met them.  

26 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I never understood how Peter David was ever so popular...

I’ve never met Byrne, but I bumped into Peter David in the Aloft Hotel before a London LSCC convention.

Extremely bad-tempered and terse.  Quite off-putting, and I didn’t bother going anywhere near his table at the show itself.

Same convention, same hotel, met Arthur Adams, had a great chat -  as always, in his case.

No one has ever issued a scathing verbal assault to these pompous dooshbags??  That would be my first reaction.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

No one has ever issued a scathing verbal assault to these pompous dooshbags??  That would be my first reaction.

Because they're the talent attracting the crowds, selling tickets, it would most likely result in a complaint by them, which would get you kicked out of the exhibition hall.  That's always at the back of my mind.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Because they're the talent attracting the crowds, selling tickets, it would most likely result in a complaint by them, which would get you kicked out of the exhibition hall.  That's always at the back of my mind. 

Hell just wait till the end of the day.  And when they call for someone to kick you out just say that's right call for mommy.  And put it on youtube.

Edited by kav

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

It's not about profitability. 

Verification makes it sellable.

The same way 'Certificates of Authenticity' for Sports Cards did back in the day, and we know how THAT turned out.

(Not that CGC can't be trusted. They obviously work hard to protect that SS program)

But some of these guys see it as greedy dealers making money off of their name. If CONFRONTED, what do you think someone making money off their name would say?

"Oh... I don't really make money off of it... I just do it for fun..."

Which sucks for the people who actually DO IT for fun, or collecting or OCD, or whatever, but....

As I said before in this thread, I sat at Marv Wolfman's dining room table and attempted to explain this to him...and I have a witness to that conversation...but it was in vain. He wasn't interested in considering any other perspective. Perhaps I should have brought visual examples, but it wasn't really the right environment. Being invited to Marv Wolfman's house...and seeing the OA cover to Detective #408, NTT #1, and other books...was pretty thrilling, all things considered.

Wolfman loses out. I'd happily, gladly pay him $5 each to sign my Batman #438, New Teen Titans Annual #1, Deathstroke #7, NTT #21....books that have no value even if they are 9.8s...because I think owning a 9.8 SS run is something that's worth having. It's NOT worth $20 each.

So, that several hundred (thousand?) dollars that Wolfman would OTHERWISE HAVE GOTTEN WITHOUT QUESTION...he doesn't get.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve never met Byrne, but I bumped into Peter David in the Aloft Hotel before a London LSCC convention.

Extremely bad-tempered and terse.  Quite off-putting, and I didn’t bother going anywhere near his table at the show itself.

Same convention, same hotel, met Arthur Adams, had a great chat -  as always, in his case.

Art Adams is a pleasure to talk to. He and Joyce live in the Bay Area, so we chatted about places we knew, and Walking Dead, and whatnot. It was nice.

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

If I was a creator and was watching that whole scenario go down, my opinion of the process would not get any better...

It'd just look like 4 different blind people trying to explain to me what an elephant looked like...

I'd prefer to be anywhere else but there....

Sam could have simply said "Albert...don't worry about it."

He didn't. Because he's, well, Sam Kieth. The guy getting his books done was really over a barrel. He didn't want to do anything that would make CGC look bad...and he didn't...but what Chandler and Albert did was beyond the pale, and Sam wouldn't fix it. Chandler Rice cost CGC a potential 100+ submissions by his actions that weekend.

Sam Kieth broke my heart.

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

My experience with Art has always been good - very humble guy. 

I always bug bug him about when we're getting the next Monkeyman and O'Brian comic...

Very, very friendly, warm individual.  And talented.

Always liked his work.

On 6/2/2017 at 2:24 PM, revat said:

I'm not saying I don't see it from the creator point of view, but do you honestly not see how some fans might get miffed if they felt they were being treated in a way that they perceive to be unfair?

I wait in line for an hour for 3 sigs from my favorite artist.  Guy in front of me does the same.  My books have window bags.  I get charged $10 more for the exact same service. 

Most likely based on a false assumption of profitability?

My answer to that would be that artists should have conditions and terms clearly stated on a visible notice. If patrons don't agree, they can simply walk away.    If they don't have such a notice available, and you had to wait in line 3 hours to find out -- I completely agree that is bad practice, and would peeve fans and speculators alike.  It annoys me to see former actors asking for money for pictures and autographs and I highly doubt anyone makes much selling any of those items (unlike the potential for comic signatures), but I also respect their choice and can understand why.

Maybe someone can elaborate, but does CGC provide a cut of the signature fees to the artists for each signature?

Edited by bronze_rules

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

My answer to that would be that artists should have conditions and terms clearly stated on a visible notice. If patrons don't agree, they can simply walk away.    If they don't have such a notice available, and you had to wait in line 3 hours to find out -- I completely agree that is bad practice, and would rightfully peeve fans and speculators alike.  It annoys me to see former actors asking for money for pictures and autographs and I highly doubt anyone makes much selling any of those items (unlike the potential for comic signatures), but I also respect their choice and can understand why.

Maybe someone can elaborate, but does CGC provide a cut of the signature fees to the artists for each signature?

No.

5 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

That doesn't seem right.  And people berate the artists for asking for compensation? 

Most people get their books signed because they know it will be slabbed and there will be proof of the validity of the signature.  Without CGC there would be far less people paying creators to sign.  So if they want to make money signing, CGC is in their best interests.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Most people get their books signed because they know it will be slabbed and there will be proof of the validity of the signature.  Without CGC there would be far less people paying creators to sign.  So if they want to make money signing, CGC is in their best interests.

So, if their main incentive for obviously adding value to the gravy train is to make some money by setting their own prices, I guess I just don't get all the animosity towards that objective; like they are somehow greedy.

And for those that argue that there is no guarantee that anyone makes any profit off their signatures, it seems to me at the very least, that CGC is making a guaranteed profit off their signatures -- shouldn't they get something out of the deal?

Edited by bronze_rules

2 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

So, if their main incentive for obviously adding value to the gravy train is to make some money by setting their own prices, I guess I just don't get all the animosity towards that objective; like they are somehow greedy.

And for those that argue that there is no guarantee that anyone makes any profit off their signatures, it seems to me at the very least, that CGC is making a guaranteed profit off their signatures -- shouldn't they get something out of the deal?

Well they do get something-they get a lot more customers than without CGC.

23 minutes ago, kav said:

Not necessarily, at a recent show Claremont had a line wrapped around the center all weekend and I didn't see any witnesses..... but I wasn't exactly doing recon either. At the same show I paid Adams 60 bucks to scribe two books for Judy and I..... each personalized to us.... a lot of folks just want the sig. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

Not necessarily, at a recent show Claremont had a line wrapped around the center all weekend and I didn't see any witnesses..... but I wasn't exactly doing recon either. At the same show I paid Adams 60 bucks to scribe two books for Judy and I..... each personalized to us.... a lot of folks just want the sig. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

hm