• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What I don't understand is how protecting a book with tape or the grade of a book in another manner along with asking them to sign a book or tons of books when their at a signing to sign is somehow disrespecting the creator?

Yeah. What's up with that? Just because we want our collectibles a certain way. No harm in that.

And sometimes if we get multiple books signed it's because we want to increase our chance of getting a 9.8

1 minute ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Yeah. What's up with that? Just because we want our collectibles a certain way. No harm in that.

And sometimes if we get multiple books signed it's because we want to increase our chance of getting a 9.8

Yeah, and how come if I'm thirsty the creator doesn't get up from signing and go get me a soda? I pay his salary!

:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Yeah, and how come if I'm thirsty the creator doesn't get up from signing and go get me a soda? I pay his salary!

It's my book and I'll tape if I want too, tape if I want too! You would tape too if it happened to you! :headbang:

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Our thirst is not their business as what we do with our books is not their business.

No problem paying a sig fee if it's not outrages. We shouldn't feel shamed because we like CGC SS

Just like when I was a kid trying to get baseball players to sign something at batting practice...they didn't seem to mind signing a ball or a card or a glove, but then here comes Mr Collector with 20 bats and 50 cards hawking those autographs which would ruin it for the other people.  I'm sure a creator frowns upon those same kind of people.

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Our thirst is not their business as what we do with our books is not their business.

No problem paying a sig fee if it's not outrages. We shouldn't feel shamed because we like CGC SS

It's just as silly to be expecting them to do something because they somehow owe us. They owe us nothing aside from doing the best work they're capable of doing and hopefully entertaining us. Everything else after that is gravy.

Topic shmopic it's their right to refuse to sign, even if I feel it's unjustified. Due to one arbitrary fan who stiffed Starlin no reason for me to get a stick up my behind too 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Topic shmopic it's their right to refuse to sign, even if I feel it's unjustified. Due to one arbitrary fan who stiffed Starlin no reason for me to get a stick up my behind too 

Exactly.

And if I could, I would point every creator I came across to specific posts in this thread and would hope they charge that specific guy double for his arrogant attitude towards creators.

It's disgusting.

Neither me nor @STORMSHADOW_80

Said they owe us!! We were trying to bring it back around to the OP and why the thread was created of Starlins misperception. Quarreling about who owes who has nothing to do with the OP

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

13 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I guess it depends on whether one feels shafted or not?  I have gotten a few SS books done and I was more than happy to pay the creator what they were asking.

13 hours ago, Logan510 said:

That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors :) I'm not a big SS guy, I don't own any, but some of the people here have some really cool ones IMHO.

I absolutely treasure the unslabbed books I have that I have gotten signed over the years.

(shrug)You've gotten a few SS books done but you don't own any?? :whistle:

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

(shrug)You've gotten a few SS books done but you don't own any?? :whistle:

No, I flipped them, I thought that was pretty self explanatory? (shrug)

I do own several unslabbed comics that I've had signed over the years though.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Neither me nor @STORMSHADOW_80

Said they owe us!! We were trying to bring it back around to the OP and why the thread was created of Starlins misperception. Quarreling about who owes who has nothing to do with the OP

I think very few people think the creators owe anything, but I think everyone understands the desire to be treated fairly and not be falsely judged. 

I think that's what most people are taking issue with.  Of course there will always be more extreme sentiments on both sides of every issue, but I think to judge everyone based on those extreme views is usually a mistake. 

Think of it this way.

if a creator selling 10$ per print to everyone in line, then charges you $20 because you have a special case to carry your prints and posters, wouldn't that put you off a bit?

To be honest Starlin is thinking that the idea of grading is ridiculous it's in his posts. It's  not the fact that I don't respect him, it's that he doesn't respect me. He essentially called me and my preferences ridiculous. Do i somehow want a signature from someone who doesn't want me to have it? That's his prerogative, which I think is also ridiculous. But no means no and all that. To say that his signature is so revered that it can't be held in a respectful manner when it comes to grading is contradictive and borders on ignorant, which is not an insult but means he was unlearned in the cgc process and his reasons misguided.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I think very few people think the creators owe anything, but I think everyone understands the desire to be treated fairly and not be falsely judged. 

I think that's what most people are taking issue with.  Of course there will always be more extreme sentiments on both sides of every issue, but I think to judge everyone based on those extreme views is usually a mistake. 

Think of it this way.

if a creator selling 10$ per print to everyone in line, then charges you $20 because you have a special case to carry your prints and posters, wouldn't that put you off a bit?

We're all saying the same thing lol

I was just correcting and saying that I never said he owes me anything.  

I agree with you lol I think even Logan does too. But y'all thought that me and stormshadow were in the, he owes us crowd sigh

24 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Just like when I was a kid trying to get baseball players to sign something at batting practice...they didn't seem to mind signing a ball or a card or a glove, but then here comes Mr Collector with 20 bats and 50 cards hawking those autographs which would ruin it for the other people.  I'm sure a creator frowns upon those same kind of people.

That's batting practice....this is an actual signing essentially saying no soup for you

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We're all saying the same thing lol

I was just correcting and saying that I never said he owes me anything.  

I agree with you lol I think even Logan does too. But y'all thought that me and stormshadow were in the, he owes us crowd sigh

No I get what side your on, we are for sure on the same side

3 hours ago, revat said:

I agree.  Creators don't owe their fans a thing aside from doing their best on the work they're paid to do, same as anyone at any job.  But by the same token, companies also don't owe any creators anything other than what they legally agreed to pay them. 

BUT if I were the kind of creator who went to a comic con, KNOWING I would meet fans, I would THINK I would want them to have a great interaction with me, especially anyone who I KNOW has at some point purchased a copy of my work (regardless of why they bought it).  And I while I admittedly not like to 'miss out' on a few dollars here and there if I could avoid it, I'd much rather make sure everyone has a great interaction with me.

Working backwards, I agree that being a creator, you want interactions with everyone to be positive.  In fact, I think that should be the goal for all people in every interaction and everyone thinking so would go a long way to solving a lot of strife, not just in the comic world.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Respect. 

And if a comic creator expressed verbal appreciation, why is that insufficient?  'Hey, thank you for liking my work, it means a lot to me' - is that equivalent to signing for free?  If not, why not?

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What I don't understand is how protecting a book with tape or the grade of a book in another manner along with asking them to sign a book or tons of books when their at a signing to sign is somehow disrespecting the creator?

That I agree with wholeheartedly.  As I said in one of my earlier posts, it surprises me how judgmental creators are over what makes someone else happy.  It hurts no one to sign in a window, and the world is a tough enough place, making up reasons to be dissatisfied with someone else's way of finding joy seems like it's just adding unhappiness to the world.  WHo cares?  Someone likes you enough to write your name, to the point they are willing to pay money.  You need to disdain this why?

Looking at it from both sides, the fan has the one interaction with the creator but the creator has hundreds of fan interactions. I would imagine the vast majority of those interactions are positive for the creator but perhaps the number of negative interactions from the creators perspective might be the memorable ones. And it is likely that the true flippers (if there are true fans why not true flippers) are the majority of those negative interactions since the flipper cares less about the interaction than the sig. So creators might well be going home after cons thinking "wow, a lot of dickheads today and most had the blue tape". Over time this will indeed sour them and produce negative connotations to the blue tapers.

19 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

In fact, I think that should be the goal for all people in every interaction and everyone thinking so would go a long way to solving a lot of strife, not just in the comic world.

This is indeed the cure for the problem. I would imagine that most of us have seen far more rude behavior from those in line than from those on the other side of the table. Peter David and John Byrne have been rude to me, very rude, but I have seen far more civilians be rude to the creator.

Edited by Bird
two peters is one too many

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Looking at it from both sides, the fan has the one interaction with the creator but the creator has hundreds of fan interactions. I would imagine the vast majority of those interactions are positive for the creator but perhaps the number of negative interactions from the creators perspective might be the memorable ones. And it is likely that the true flippers (if there are true fans why not true flippers) are the majority of those negative interactions since the flipper cares less about the interaction than the sig. So creators might well be going home after cons thinking "wow, a lot of dickheads today and most had the blue tape". Over time this will indeed sour them and produce negative connotations to the blue tapers.

This is indeed the cure for the problem. I would imagine that most of us have seen far more rude behavior from those in line than from those on the other side of the table. Peter David and John Byrne have been rude to me, very rude, but I have seen far more civilians be rude to the creator.

There are always two sides of the story. I've seen people ( some of them I was friends with ) walk away from a creators table all butthurt. In my small sample size I would say most of the time it was their perception and not what actually happened. 

Not every creator is going to get up from behind the table and give you a big hug like George Perez 2c