• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

Just now, RatBastard said:

That wouldn't work because real fans aren't affected by this and have no reason to boycott.

Sure they do if creator wont sign where they want.  "I dont want you to just sign anywhere and ruin the book"

25 minutes ago, kav said:

Sure they do if creator wont sign where they want.  "I dont want you to just sign anywhere and ruin the book"

Someone should crumple a comic into a ball and ask them to sign it since it is a free signing and maybe or maybe put some tape on it and say I want to keep it in nice condition or I want to cgc this or something

I'm just kidding of course but it is the polar opposite to their "No great condition tape for you" --the tape nazi

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Someone should crumple a comic into a ball and ask them to sign it since it is a free signing and maybe or maybe put some tape on it and say I want to keep it in nice condition or I want to cgc this or something

I'm just kidding of course but it is the polar opposite to their "No great condition tape for you" --the tape nazi

Or when they go to sign it say lemme do that for ya and crumple up the cover.  Then post it on youtube.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

well now, Phil & I seem to be having a respectful dialogue. But he did mention resale so that seems to be the issue.

It doesn't apply to just this instance, but somehow even though it shouldn't, it always surprises me how much people decide that the way others find happiness is unacceptable.  If a person is happy getting a signature and getting it verified and preserving that comic, what's the harm?  If a guy gets a signature and gets it verified and preserves that comic and sells it to someone who wants it and couldn't get it, so what?  That buyer's happy.  The person who stood in line to do the work makes money they can use to further their happiness or their family's happiness.  And for what - to appreciate the creator so much they want his name written on their comic they are willing to go through all that, plus pay the creator.

But no, somehow we have to approve or disapprove of how someone else finds a little joy in life.  And it usually doesn't even make the judger any happier either

Edited by SteppinRazor

13 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

it always surprises me how much people decide that the way others find happiness is unacceptable.

very well said. I hope you do not mind but I used this phrase in my twitter exchange with Phil Jimenez as it says what I wanted to say so much better than I could.

The argument of "well the fan is making money off my sig" is so tired.  As said above, the fan invest time and money to make it all happen.  Creators can do the same thing.  Do some sketches and put em on eBay.  Buy your own books, sig and sell them. 

But don't be jealous of others who do the grind.  You're famous.  Of course your sig adds value.  But fans put you there.

Edited by StingerMcK

1 hour ago, StingerMcK said:

The argument of "well the fan is making money off my sig" is so tired.  As said above, the fan invest time and money to make it all happen.  Creators can do the same thing.  Do some sketches and put em on eBay.  Buy your own books, sig and sell them. 

But don't be jealous of others who do the grind.  You're famous.  Of course your sig adds value.  But fans put you there.

:golfclap: Beautifully said.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:55 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Creators should sign these comic books for free to show their appreciation to the fans who have supported them thru all the years. 

I never got why these comic artists/writers charged their loyal fans for an autograph. These creators should give back to the fans who still care about them to go see them by lining up in a line for hours.

:roflmao:

These creators owe their fans nothing.  They already did their part by creating the books.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:39 AM, SteppinRazor said:

It would be nice if they did, but I don't think anyone should give something for free.  It's up to them whether to be generous or not.

+1

On 5/14/2017 at 8:34 PM, Dark Prime 0 said:

um i stated what he loses, money from the cgc ss crowd since he's going to start charging for SS sigs..............he never mentioned not allowing cbcs to not wittness his sigs but not all collectors want raw or want to use cbcs

i won't do raw and personaly i have no problem useing cbcs but not all collectors are like that

How is Starlin losing money from the SS crowd exactly?  He wasn't charging before and now he is?  Seems like he is making more money this way. (shrug)

On 5/15/2017 at 0:03 PM, kav said:

It really sucks there's an impetus to damage the highest grade books.  Future collectors will shake their head in dismay at all the writing on covers and glom on to the untouched 9.8s.

There are collectors now, myself included, who shake their head in dismay.  I won't ever understand why someone would want writing on a high grade comic book.  Have the artist sign a sketch and quit molesting the comic books!

On 5/17/2017 at 9:58 PM, jcjames said:

So now he's "asking" CGC to tell their employees to do what HE wants.... not what CGC's paying customers want.

I see.

:insane:

How in the world do you stop someone from watching you sign your name in a public setting???

"Hey, you have a CGC lanyard - close your eyes! Hey! I ORDER you to not look at me! STOP LOOKING!" :sumo:

Wow, has he always bet a loose nut or something? I mean he's really coming off as quite loony now.

Basically he's angry that HE forgot to collect HIS money that HE charged for his signature from ONE fan, and so he goes after the entire company of the guy who was standing next to the fan that HE wasn't paying attention to. Isn't that kinda like asking the guy running the booth next to you to reimburse you for a wallbook that you forgot to charge a customer for?

I don't have any Starlin signatures, and I'm now CERTAIN I don't want any of his scribbly mess of a "signature".

How do some of the actors get away with charging someone for a picture of them?  I remember Lou Ferrigno being one of those actors.  I suspect they get the convention organizers to help police the situation.

7 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

True story. I had bought a Neal Adams sketchbook for him to sign. He throws a comment out there " this will bring you some bucks on eBay". I told him that I'm not going to ever sell. He said yeah sure.

I felt bad after the experience. That one of my artistic idols could be so jaded .

Of course I still have the book.

9 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

True story. I had bought a Neal Adams sketchbook for him to sign. He throws a comment out there " this will bring you some bucks on eBay". I told him that I'm not going to ever sell. He said yeah sure.

I felt bad after the experience. That one of my artistic idols could be so jaded .

Of course I still have the book.

The man is very jaded. I don't get stuff from him and see him all the time. But I do talk to him and that usually goes well for a while until he starts the sales pitch, at which point I understand that the two-guys-talking portion is over and head on out. I like to thank him for his pivotal role in getting OA returned to the artists.