• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure Comics #40: Scans and Photos
1 1

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

What do you guys think of the Adventure 40 cgc 3.5 that sold for 10.5k at comiclink tonight? It sounds cheap? Am I wrong?

That does sound cheap.

On May 30, 2017 at 9:05 PM, dylanthekid said:

What do you guys think of the Adventure 40 cgc 3.5 that sold for 10.5k at comiclink tonight? It sounds cheap? Am I wrong?

It's a reasonable price relative to the growth we've seen in some other GA keys over the past year. In one sense, spending five-figures on any book indicates a strong interest. The majority of DC GA books wouldn't touch five-figures in 3.5 condition. So for every knock one could come up with: it being a lesser known superhero, NYWF 1939 being the true "first appearance", etc. clearly, the book is retaining interest. In comparison to More Fun Comics #73, All-Star Comics #8...we're not seeing anything close to that kind of growth. Books can be streaky and it doesn't take much for them to take off.

On May 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM, KirbyJack said:

It surprises me to hear that.

I'd choose Adventure 40 over any other DC 1st app., with three exceptions; Action 1, Detective 27, or Flash 1.

This is a bit of old-school mentality, but I dig it. Outside of the obvious Top-2, Adventure Comics #40, More Fun Comics #52, Flash Comics #1 and All-American Comics #16 have a lot to offer.

16 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It's a reasonable price relative to the growth we've seen in some other GA keys over the past year. In one sense, spending five-figures on any book indicates a strong interest. The majority of DC GA books wouldn't touch five-figures in 3.5 condition. So for every knock one could come up with: it being a lesser known superhero, NYWF 1939 being the true "first appearance", etc. clearly, the book is retaining interest. In comparison to More Fun Comics #73, All-Star Comics #8...we're not seeing anything close to that kind of growth. Books can be streaky and it doesn't take much for them to take off.

Why did the same copy sell for almost 18k 3 years ago at heritage? This one sold for 10.5k there was no market decline, that I am aware of. Or is just a question of who is bidding because it is an auction?

On 5/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, dylanthekid said:

Been a declining  book for years 

19 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It's hard for me to see this book ever ascending to the level of the some of the other DC GA keys.  The Sandman just doesn't have much resonance with collectors these days, imo. I think in many ways it's only considered a key because fandom considered it a key in ye olden days. 

Not that I wouldn't mind owning a nice copy! :)

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, G.A.tor said:

Hard book to sell

Because the Sandman character doesn't persist or resonate today. If some incarnation of the character joined the CW or DC cinematic universe, the book would appreciate immediately.

2 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Because the Sandman character doesn't persist or resonate today. If some incarnation of the character joined the CW or DC cinematic universe, the book would appreciate immediately.

Already been on dc legends. No effect what so ever on demand or value. Character is just not popular enough to spark any significant new interest I guess ?

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It's hard for me to see this book ever ascending to the level of the some of the other DC GA keys.  The Sandman just doesn't have much resonance with collectors these days, imo. I think in many ways it's only considered a key because fandom considered it a key in ye olden days. 

Not that I wouldn't mind owning a nice copy! :)

It's a desirable book now for the same reasons it was years ago, but I agree as it pertains to younger collectors who will eventually dictate the market, it has less going for it than cool Batman books. Same too would then have to be said of More Fun Comics #52, Suspense Comics #3, Fantastic Comics #3, most Fawcett books, All-Star Comics #3, etc. books that don't feature characters with considerable modern relevance like Batman and Captain America.

As time moves on, I expect the next wave of collectors to have more appreciation for comic book roots than most would think, but we'll see.

15 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Been a declining  book for years 

Declining as in value going down, like we saw with the realized price for the 3.5 on CL? Or declining in the sense that the value isn't increasing at the same rate as say, Batman books?

5 years from now, do you expect to get copies of Adventure #40 for more or less than the cost of getting one today?

11 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Declining as in value going down, like we saw with the realized price for the 3.5 on CL? Or declining in the sense that the value isn't increasing at the same rate as say, Batman books?

5 years from now, do you expect to get copies of Adventure #40 for more or less than the cost of getting one today?

This copy sold for 35% less than it did 3 years ago. Declining value 

Edited by G.A.tor

48 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It's a desirable book now for the same reasons it was years ago, but I agree as it pertains to younger collectors who will eventually dictate the market, it has less going for it than cool Batman books. Same too would then have to be said of More Fun Comics #52, Suspense Comics #3, Fantastic Comics #3, most Fawcett books, All-Star Comics #3, etc. books that don't feature characters with considerable modern relevance like Batman and Captain America.

As time moves on, I expect the next wave of collectors to have more appreciation for comic book roots than most would think, but we'll see.

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I would say that all of those other books you list are more appealing to the average collector than is Adventure 40.  Suspense 3 and Fantastic 3 are near the top of most people's list of favorite GA covers.  The other books have characters that have more relevance to the current day than does the Sandman as he's depicted in Adventure 40.

Most Fawcett books aren't super hot, even those with Mac Raboy covers that a few of us love, but, again, the Fawcett Captain Marvel has more current relevance than does the Sandman.

You never know which books will suddenly heat up, but I'd be surprised if we see a significant run up of prices for Adventure 40.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

This copy sold for 35% less than it did 3 years ago. Declining value 

Gator is basing his logic on one sale of an auction, could it hypothetically be that the book could sell for 2k or 3k more in the near future? Basically what I am arguing, is that I think that there could have just been a lack of bidders this time around, despite the book dropping. How do we know that it is 35%? because of this one sale! "With very rare books around, it is very hard to determine the value, especially when they don't trade often publicly in a changing market and economy." 

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I would say that all of those other books you list are more appealing to the average collector than is Adventure 40.  Suspense 3 and Fantastic 3 are near the top of most people's list of favorite GA covers.  The other books have characters that have more relevance to the current day than does the Sandman as he's depicted in Adventure 40.

Most Fawcett books aren't super hot, even those with Mac Raboy covers that a few of us love, but, again, the Fawcett Captain Marvel has more current relevance than does the Sandman.

You never know which books will suddenly heat up, but I'd be surprised if we see a significant run up of prices for Adventure 40.

I think More Fun #52 is starting to heat up, but correct me if I'm mistaken. That book has a lot in common with Adventure #40: not technically the "1st" appearance, but the first cover appearance on a classic cover of a book that has seen fewer than 50 copies slabbed by CGC.

Neither the Spectre nor the Sandman are current popular favorites, but both have gritty roots, with dark incarnations published post-GA.

Some have put down All-American #16's potential due to it being Alan Scott, not Hal Jordan. Of course, at least the name "Green Lantern" is present there. Same logic can be applied to Flash Comics #1, which saw a 0.5 Voldemort copy reach nearly $10,000 on eBay recently.

Clearly, early Actions and Pre-Robin Tecs remain as strong as ever. But the 1st appearances of other D.C. heroes, even those without modern day popularity, have a lot of potential IMO.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

11 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

Gator is basing his logic on one sale of an auction, could it hypothetically be that the book could sell for 2k or 3k more in the near future? Basically what I am arguing, is that I think that there could have just been a lack of bidders this time around, despite the book dropping. How do we know that it is 35%? because of this one sale! "With very rare books around, it is very hard to determine the value, especially when they don't trade often publicly in a changing market and economy." 

I'm not basing it on one sale. I simply listed the most recent example. Not every copy is down 35%. However , Every public sale since 2009/2010 has been a decline. Some as much as 100%, one as little as 15%, but every sale I'm aware of is down double digits % wise. . And all 5 of the private sales I am aware of were below previous sales (2 sales were mine)

Now, when a book declines consistently for 5-10 years, there's bound to be a sale(s) that eventually rises , but unlikely it would rise to previous highs, so aggregate is it will still be down relatively 

Edited by G.A.tor