• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Age Long Term Investments (On a Budget)
3 3

134 posts in this topic

Second Hawkman #4. I'd also add Doom Patrol #99--first Beast Boy (Changeling).

By no means a sure thing, but a good bet with lots of potential upside is Brave and Bold 60. Not only is it the first Wonder Girl, it's also the first actual Teen Titans (as we've discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, the group doesn't form or get a name in Brave and Bold 54). I recommend it because of what happened with OAW 83. For decades, OAW 81 was considered Sgt. Rock's first appearance--then more and more people realized it was just a prototype. I see the same thing happening here. And even if that never happens, B&B 60 is still grossly undervalued JUST for being the first Wonder Girl!

50 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

Second Hawkman #4. I'd also add Doom Patrol #99--first Beast Boy (Changeling).

By no means a sure thing, but a good bet with lots of potential upside is Brave and Bold 60. Not only is it the first Wonder Girl, it's also the first actual Teen Titans (as we've discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, the group doesn't form or get a name in Brave and Bold 54). I recommend it because of what happened with OAW 83. For decades, OAW 81 was considered Sgt. Rock's first appearance--then more and more people realized it was just a prototype. I see the same thing happening here. And even if that never happens, B&B 60 is still grossly undervalued JUST for being the first Wonder Girl!

I like B&B 60, it's also a really cool cover, lots of black ink, hard to find in nice shape. However, I disagree on the comment that it may someday get the 1st appearance tag. I didn't see the debate but the fact that CGC has put 'Origin and 1st appearance of the Teen Titans' on hundreds of labels into the marketplace, how can that ever be undone ? Years ago, Overstreet could make the correction and all was well. Now you have CGC and whatever it says on the CGC label rules. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I like B&B 60, it's also a really cool cover, lots of black ink, hard to find in nice shape. However, I disagree on the comment that it may someday get the 1st appearance tag. I didn't see the debate but the fact that CGC has put 'Origin and 1st appearance of the Teen Titans' on hundreds of labels into the marketplace, how can that ever be undone ? Years ago, Overstreet could make the correction and all was well. Now you have CGC and whatever it says on the CGC label rules. 

CGC has changed the notes on tons of labels over time.

Regardless, nothing in the OPG or on a CGC label will ever change reality, no matter how much it influences the opinions of the ignorant.

if you are buying ONE comic and hold it lets say for at least 3-5 years I would go with Fantastic Four #52 (1st black Panther)  7.0 7.5 level. Of course asms14 is also strong but I would choose ASM13 (1ST Mysterio) because with the special effects this could be a great (movie villain on the screen). values can go up %5/10 per year so I think you could have those valued at $1100-$1250 by 2021 (just my opinion/speculation)  so up to %50 gain.

Option B: get a small loan from a family member and or friend and double your investment at $1600 and get a FF52 8.0 or 8.5 Which should bring greater returns

good luck!

On 5/26/2017 at 2:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

CGC has changed the notes on tons of labels over time.

Regardless, nothing in the OPG or on a CGC label will ever change reality, no matter how much it influences the opinions of the ignorant.

Tisk tisk...I still like B&B #54 better. 1st Teen Titans vs. 1st Wonder Girl...no contest.

1 hour ago, AGGIEZ said:

Tisk tisk...I still like B&B #54 better. 1st Teen Titans

Yeah, that's what I thought for decades before I actually was able to read the books.

Anyway, we already have a thread for that debate. If you wish to resurrect it, be my guest.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:50 AM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that's what I thought for decades before I actually was able to read the books.

Anyway, we already have a thread for that debate. If you wish to resurrect it, be my guest.

Yeah, if you want to sell someone B&B 54, I'd be very careful about saying "1st Teen Titans"...!

20 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Yeah, if you want to sell someone B&B 54, I'd be very careful about saying "1st Teen Titans"...!

Yeh, if people are going to sell Jimmy Olsen #134 as the "1st Darkseid", Tales to Astonish #27 as the "1st Ant-man", etc...then I'm not too worried about that.

I'll have to read through that B&B54 thread debate again. I just don't' get the case for B&B60 outside of "1st Wonder Girl, joins Teen Titans".

Edited by AGGIEZ

1 hour ago, AGGIEZ said:

Yeh, if people are going to sell Jimmy Olsen #134 as the "1st Darkseid", Tales to Astonish #27 as the "1st Ant-man", etc...then I'm not too worried about that.

I'll have to read through that B&B54 thread debate again. I just don't' get the case for B&B60 outside of "1st Wonder Girl, joins Teen Titans".

How are SPJO 134 and BB 54 even remotely comparable? Reed Richards is jealous of that stretch.

I can kind of understand the Ant-Man comparison even though it's not the (lack of) name that is the major factor for the future members of the Teen Titans. BB 54 and TTA 27 would be much more comparable if Pym didn't shrink in TTA 27.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

How are SPJO 134 and BB 54 even remotely comparable? Reed Richards is jealous of that stretch.

I can kind of understand the Ant-Man comparison even though it's not the (lack of) name that is the major factor for the future members of the Teen Titans. BB 54 and TTA 27 would be much more comparable if Pym didn't shrink in TTA 27.

You're hard up for a B&B54 argument...I just don't have the fanboy energy. Enjoy your 2nd appearance B&B60. I'll enjoy my 1st appearance B&B54

11 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

You're hard up for a B&B54 argument...I just don't have the fanboy energy. Enjoy your 2nd appearance B&B60. I'll enjoy my 1st appearance B&B54

Yep.  BB54 all the way. 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree. I look into Metal Men and Doom Patrol keys as well. Lot of potential with those two franchises. They both could be homeruns if done right.

Agreed! I just got a SHOWCASE #37 from CGC and found it that it had been restored. Dang color touch! Now I got to find a unrestored one. I bought a MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 for $3 about 5 years ago from a dealer's clearance box. Still have it. Had it graded recently. Came back a 4.0. Not bad I would say. As long as we are on DOOM PATROL. #99 (1st BEAST BOY) has seen some heat and would be a good one to get. I got my years ago in VFN for about $8 and in plentiful supply. Not so much now. #100 is also not a bad one to get (origin). Still easy to get and not as expensive.

SHOWCASE is a treasure trove of possible goodies. LOTS OF 1st APPEARANCES and SILVER AGE re-boots. I am trying to get a complete run.

Another overlooked gem is ADVENTURE COMICS #269 (1st AQUALAD). With AQUAMAN and TEEN TITANS movies in the works only a matter of time. This book is really hard to find in high grade at a reasonable cost.

Edited by Dogsupreme

12 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

I have to agree that B&B 54 is first TEEN TITANS. Maybe not by name but certainly in spirit. If not for this trial run, there would be no TEEN TITANS. Like SUBMARINER #34-35 was the proto-DEFENDERS. AVENGERS #71 proto-INVADERS. HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 proto-SWAMP THING etc.