• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

353 posts in this topic

I know this is a ASM #238 specific thread, but I hope it'll withstand another Hobby cover.  If there's any objections I'll stick with the theme going forward, but in lacking an all-encompassing Hobgoblin thread I thought this was as good a place as any to share another recent pickup!

SSP_162.jpg

Ok, while not new to my collection (as will be obvious in a minute) I never scanned it.  Still haven't, but I took this pic.  Here's an old 9.4 in old label goodness!  Here lies good 'ol Ned, a mean 'ol mercenary shot him in the head....

5721481_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMi8yMDIzIDEyO

What's the consensus on older grades?   If I re-subbed it do you think it would do worse / better / same?  I know an actual scan may help with this, I'm just asking in general.  

On 12/2/2023 at 12:14 PM, pmpknface said:

Ok, while not new to my collection (as will be obvious in a minute) I never scanned it.  Still haven't, but I took this pic.  Here's an old 9.4 in old label goodness!  Here lies good 'ol Ned, a mean 'ol mercenary shot him in the head....

5721481_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMi8yMDIzIDEyO

What's the consensus on older grades?   If I re-subbed it do you think it would do worse / better / same?  I know an actual scan may help with this, I'm just asking in general.  

I had a 9.6 self-submitted #1 in oldest slab. I'm a very strict grader and felt it was 9.8. I cracked it out way back in 2002. Fast forward to 2022. I had pressed and re-submitted and a 9.6 again. I still do not see why but I accept it.  Wish I still had in the original slab.

Based on hearsay and talk with others about 1/2 the time an old school pre July 2003 slab will get a bump up in grade as well as page quality.  Me personally I'd rather have the old-school slab/label.

On 12/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, MAR1979 said:

Based on hearsay and talk with others about 1/2 the time an old school pre July 2003 slab will get a bump up in grade as well as page quality.  Me personally I'd rather have the old-school slab/label.

Thanks.  I looked up the notes on this one and if I did a C&P it may get a 9.6, but I think that's the ceiling. 

I like the novelty of the old label, even if I need to put on my cheaters to read the cert #.  :p  The only thing I don't like is that the label on the top of these keep coming off.  The one on this one came off today.  :(  

2 more towards the Hobgoblin collection, 1 is an appearance and 1 is a kinda-appearance.  

#278, tough white cover and a nice one by Mike Harris (gotta google him, don't know much of his work): 

5802216_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMTMvMjAyMyAyO

And then there's this one, which has the Jack O'Lantern trying to get the Hobgoblin's battle van after it had gone in the river a few issues prior:

5802215_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMTMvMjAyMyAyO

More issues to follow  -  stay tuned!  ;) 

Thanks @rube11 !!!

Edited by pmpknface
Kudos!

And here's the next new book!  But first...

I noticed something a little while ago about these appearances that I wanted to bring up.  You'll notice on this cover and others that there's a "TM" next to whenever the name Hobgoblin shows up on covers.  So Marvel actually trademarked the Hobgoblin name!  As best as I can tell the above #275 was the first time it showed up.  I attempted to look it up, and according to the website that I was using no such trademark exists anymore (if I was looking it up correctly).  I see that it was used in the Hobgoblin Lives mini, but not in his recent ASM appearances.  I dunno, I just thought it was interesting.

Anyway...  here's another tougher to find issue - Web Of Spidey #48!  This is the first time Spidey meets the Demonic Hobby after he made his deal with N'Astrah.  Not exactly a key, but kinda cool!  The Kingpin and the Lizard also drop by.  I also didn't know among Spider-Man's powers were the ability to cast a shadow that has eyes!  Neat trick! ;) 

GetImage.aspx?c=5863316&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

I'm filling in the holes in the ASM early Hobgoblin issues and 2 more arrived today.  The first closes out the book on Lefty Donovan.  I always loved the close-up of Spidey on this one by Romita.

5868423_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MS8yNS8yMDI0IDEyO

Next up is another frame-job by the Hobgoblin, only this time it's Flash caught as a scapegoat!

5868424_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MS8yNS8yMDI0IDEyO

On 1/30/2024 at 7:52 AM, pmpknface said:

Another pumpkin just arrived!  I'll make my own scan soon, this one is from the listing.  So happy to have this killer Miller cover in 9.8!  

s-l1600.webp

Does anyone remember those pogo discs that looked like that in the 80's to early 90's? with an air bubble on top of the disc to hold with your feet that went through the disc and was bigger on the bottom to then "pogo-on?" lol 

Idk why I asked for that toy, more surprising is idk why my mother said yes! :roflmao: I can still hear her now, why do you want this? And the subsequent days of washing dishes with her staring out the window with the "pogo" on the porch, and me saying something like, "after we're done, I'll see if I can still do it!" Just to either prove a point or make her happy lol I forget which hahaha. Just to see her face and hear the "uh-huh!" but of course I did.

Problem is, you didn't go "high nor was it very hard to do" and there weren't many "tricks" that you could do with it and etc. 

rantrant