• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

353 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2024 at 9:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does anyone remember those pogo discs that looked like that in the 80's to early 90's? with an air bubble on top of the disc to hold with your feet that went through the disc and was bigger on the bottom to then "pogo-on?" lol 

Idk why I asked for that toy, more surprising is idk why my mother said yes! :roflmao: I can still hear her now, why do you want this? And the subsequent days of washing dishes with her staring out the window with the "pogo" on the porch, and me saying something like, "after we're done, I'll see if I can still do it!" Just to either prove a point or make her happy lol I forget which hahaha. Just to see her face and hear the "uh-huh!" but of course I did.

Problem is, you didn't go "high nor was it very hard to do" and there weren't many "tricks" that you could do with it and etc. 

rantrant

Pogo-Bal baby!  I had one!!!

image.thumb.png.e2a3e625c18ea4ea46a43a47f516c817.png

On 1/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, pmpknface said:

Pogo-Bal baby!  I had one!!!

image.thumb.png.e2a3e625c18ea4ea46a43a47f516c817.png

lol ya that was it...

I vaguely remember that we also had a real pogo with the stick spring as well. I've seen videos randomly of course where people do flips, mine where never that powerful even though I might have only weighed 110 pounds lol 

Ah childhood. The Lord remembers. :x

Those toys were of a time, but right after the age of doing those well, kids where then getting bikes in a time-honored tradition, and that was all she wrote! :headbang: 

On 12/18/2023 at 1:14 PM, pmpknface said:

2 more towards the Hobgoblin collection, 1 is an appearance and 1 is a kinda-appearance.  

#278, tough white cover and a nice one by Mike Harris (gotta google him, don't know much of his work): 

5802216_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMTMvMjAyMyAyO

And then there's this one, which has the Jack O'Lantern trying to get the Hobgoblin's battle van after it had gone in the river a few issues prior:

5802215_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMTMvMjAyMyAyO

More issues to follow  -  stay tuned!  ;) 

Thanks @rube11 !!!

I slabbed 278 for the same reason, the white cover

On 2/4/2024 at 10:20 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

I've come to refer to  myself as "Mr. 9.6" as almost all my ASM keys either came back as 9.6 (or I cheaped out years ago and went for the cheaper book.)image.thumb.jpeg.526e6a481d06b124dd870580a62e6383.jpeg

Then again, this one almost makes up for it.

image.jpeg.100dfc246944c5d472b847f66e70914c.jpeg

And I got it slabbed coz it was a Black Cat cover appearance. Now she appears on the cover every damn issue...

Great stuff!

The Spec Spidey 85 is a pretty important book in the Hobgoblin mythos and is under appreciated 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:20 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

I've come to refer to  myself as "Mr. 9.6" as almost all my ASM keys either came back as 9.6 (or I cheaped out years ago and went for the cheaper book.)image.thumb.jpeg.526e6a481d06b124dd870580a62e6383.jpeg

Then again, this one almost makes up for it.

image.jpeg.100dfc246944c5d472b847f66e70914c.jpeg

And I got it slabbed coz it was a Black Cat cover appearance. Now she appears on the cover every damn issue...

Awesome!  I'd take a 9.6 of that!  And that 85 is STELLAR!  Congrats! 

And if anyone watching is looking for a 9.8 of that PPSSM #85 there's one up in an hour...

On 2/10/2024 at 1:27 AM, pmpknface said:

Here's a recent pickup in my Hobgoblin saga from ComicLink I'm psyched about.  Only 6 in 9.8 on the census and now I've got one!  This is part one of the 3-parter with Carrion, and now I've got 2 of the 3 parts.  

GetImage.aspx?c=5892839&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

More to follow soon!  :shy:

The Sal Buscema art from this era hurts my eyes 🤦‍♂️

On 2/12/2024 at 9:41 AM, pmpknface said:

Just arrived!  Super happy with this one.  The top and left borders are sharp, no cutoff on the CCA label, and of course WP!  Here it is, 2nd Hobgoblin!  :D 

GetImage.aspx?c=5896946&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

One of my favs.  The close-up of Hobby's face in the background really adds to his overall 'creep' factor.  

First of all This book is not mine. I am always keeping an eye out for a good SS 9.8 copy and saw this upcoming in a CL auction. I am only posting it as it strikes me very freaking odd that Shooter would draw a Cammy from Street Fighter sketch on an ASM key book. I'm curious if someone paid for a sketch and Shooter just decided to go about adding this to the book or if someone actually would have requested something this bizarre lol   Anyway here's the book.

image.png.3b67a296034ecca6c8d4a87795ecafb1.png

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 2/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

First of all This book is not mine. I am always keeping an eye out for a good SS 9.8 copy and saw this upcoming in a CL auction. I am only posting it as it strikes me very freaking odd that Shooter would draw a Camie from Street Fighter sketch on an ASM key book. I'm curious if someone paid for a sketch and Shooter just decided to go about adding this to the book or if someone actually would have requested something this bizarre lol   Anyway here's the book.

image.png.3b67a296034ecca6c8d4a87795ecafb1.png

This is odd.  Is it one of the tattooz from inside?  It doesn't look like a sketch as much as something put on and the label called a "sketch."

On 2/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, pmpknface said:

This is odd.  Is it one of the tattooz from inside?  It doesn't look like a sketch as much as something put on and the label called a "sketch."

image.png.f39059a2662a43aeffb9a06a73639448.png image.png.b4b558e331ccab1456865873d6dc0913.png  Cammy came out 10 years after this book was done and it definitely looks like her lol   I don't know :ohnoez:

On 2/12/2024 at 10:58 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

image.png.f39059a2662a43aeffb9a06a73639448.png image.png.b4b558e331ccab1456865873d6dc0913.png  Camie came out 10 years after this book was done and it definitely looks like her lol   I don't know :ohnoez:

Maybe. Maybe? It was, "Hey can you draw and awesome Gwen Stacy on this for me, but make her sexy like in Street Fighter?" lol:roflmao:

:ohnoez: 

I'd think it would get a pass as Stacy, if she was in anyway related to this era of storyline, but like aren't all the clones and 'real' versions passed on at this point in the plot? So, either way it is a bit doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Yeah it baffled me to say the least. Had me looking up Shooter to see if he was in any way involved in any comics related to Street Fighter but I came up empty. The head scratcher of the day lol  But yeah as you said maybe someone wanted some kind of customized Gwen. Green turtle neck type shirt and that shaped hat was just too much coincidence but that may be all it is in the end. Definitely nothing to do with that area or arc of the ASM though yeah. 

Here's a Hobgoblin appearance, but not cover.  This one actually takes place during the Spidey / Wolvie 1-shot where Ned is killed.  I think this is my first slabbed book without Hobgoblin or Jack O'Lantern on the cover in my mini-run.  For the most part I'm sticking with covers but this was an important part of the story so I snagged it.  Also got it for a decent price as it was listed as #24.  Classic "buy the book and not the label" scenario.  There will be a re-labeling happening.  

image.thumb.jpeg.053c30e95547b8f2b5c7118

Oh happy day!!!  I've been hunting this one for a while. Only 107 in 9.8 of this one (fewer than others around this time) and it's got WP too.  Tough black / dark cover.  I love the yellow story title popping off the background and the bad guys coming at you.  And one of the reasons this is a grail for me and my Hobgoblin collection, is that it has BOTH the Hobgoblin and the Jack O'Lantern on the cover!  I'm pretty sure this is the only time these two shared a cover in their original monikers.  And here's another one, Ned Leeds is in it too!  Oh - and you've got Hammerhead, Rose, and the Punisher making appearances as well.  So much going on, Spidey didn't even make the cover in his own book!  

So, here she is...  Amazing Spider-Man #284:

5909296_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Mi8yMC8yMDI0IDk6M

On 2/20/2024 at 1:00 PM, pmpknface said:

Oh happy day!!!  I've been hunting this one for a while. Only 107 in 9.8 of this one (fewer than others around this time) and it's got WP too.  Tough black / dark cover.  I love the yellow story title popping off the background and the bad guys coming at you.  And one of the reasons this is a grail for me and my Hobgoblin collection, is that it has BOTH the Hobgoblin and the Jack O'Lantern on the cover!  I'm pretty sure this is the only time these two shared a cover in their original monikers.  And here's another one, Ned Leeds is in it too!  Oh - and you've got Hammerhead, Rose, and the Punisher making appearances as well.  So much going on, Spidey didn't even make the cover in his own book!  

So, here she is...  Amazing Spider-Man #284:

5909296_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Mi8yMC8yMDI0IDk6M

Quite timely, considering the current Gang War crossover storyline in ASM, DD and other Marvel Titles 😃