• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 Appreciation/Club Thread
8 8

353 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 1:00 PM, pmpknface said:

Oh happy day!!!  I've been hunting this one for a while. Only 107 in 9.8 of this one (fewer than others around this time) and it's got WP too.  Tough black / dark cover.  I love the yellow story title popping off the background and the bad guys coming at you.  And one of the reasons this is a grail for me and my Hobgoblin collection, is that it has BOTH the Hobgoblin and the Jack O'Lantern on the cover!  I'm pretty sure this is the only time these two shared a cover in their original monikers.  And here's another one, Ned Leeds is in it too!  Oh - and you've got Hammerhead, Rose, and the Punisher making appearances as well.  So much going on, Spidey didn't even make the cover in his own book!  

So, here she is...  Amazing Spider-Man #284:

5909296_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Mi8yMC8yMDI0IDk6M

Just a head's up to anyone looking for a 9.8 of this book:  One just popped up on MCS.  Snag it while you can, decent price too.  

The chase for all things Hobgoblin continues!  The first one really only has a mention of my man on the cover.  I wasn't sure about picking this one up but it's a SS and I got a decent deal on it.  

5930925_Full_Obv.jpg?t=My80LzIwMjQgMTI6M

But this one I've been dying to get my hands on!  Only 95 total in 9.8 so less than most of this time period.  Only the 2nd Jack O'Lantern cover (3rd if you count 252 where he is fuzzed out).  Plus it's a SS book, only 3 of those!  Only a few more to go in the pre-300's for me!  

5930926_Full_Obv.jpg?t=My80LzIwMjQgMTI6M

On 3/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

277 treated us to a rare glimpse of Vess’ masterful take on Spidey. Although his body of work in Spidey is very limited,  I place Vess among the top 5 Spidey artists of all time.

Vess is amazing.  Nice guy too!  I was lucky to meet him 30 years ago and got him to sign my Web Of #1.  I've often used this image as a desktop:

Spider-Man vs. the Hobgoblin by Charles Vess : r/comicbooks

On 3/5/2024 at 1:42 PM, pmpknface said:

Vess is amazing.  Nice guy too!  I was lucky to meet him 30 years ago and got him to sign my Web Of #1.  I've often used this image as a desktop:

Spider-Man vs. the Hobgoblin by Charles Vess : r/comicbooks

😂

I enjoy seeing this every single day of my life…it’s even better in person 

Edited by jjonahjameson11

I told ya more were on the way, and UPS delivered this morning!  

First off, a tough one to find as there's only 10 in 9.8 and 37 graded on the census - and a newsie to boot!  Not the sexiest cover, but there's my guy hovering in the background!  Not even a comment that he makes an appearance!  C'mon man!  Still, he's there so this one was on my list!  Spectacular Spider-Man #146:

GetImage.aspx?c=5962499&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

On 3/5/2024 at 11:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

277 treated us to a rare glimpse of Vess’ masterful take on Spidey. Although his body of work in Spidey is very limited,  I place Vess among the top 5 Spidey artists of all time.

On 3/24/2024 at 3:41 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

9.4 WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #1 Greg LaRocque/Jim Mooney Art Vess Cover Louise Simonson - Picture 1 of 12

Amazing Spider-Man #261 (1985) - Picture 1 of 2

The Amazing Spider-Man #277 [June 1986] Kingpin! Daredevil! Charles Vess [NM/MT] - Picture 1 of 3

Amazing Spider-Man #252 -  1:25 Variant -  Charles Vess - Marvel - 2024 - NM - Picture 1 of 2

Web of Spider-Man Annual 2 9.4 NM Giant Sized Charles Vess Cover  1986 COMBINE - Picture 1 of 2

Web of Spider-Man Annual 1 Double-Sized Charles Vess Cover VF/NM 1985 COMBINE - Picture 1 of 2

WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #8 in VF- condition a 1985 Marvel comic Venom black outfit - Picture 1 of 2

Web of Spider-Man #26D VF 8.0 1987 Stock Image - Picture 1 of 1

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN-SPIRITS OF THE EARTH - C. VESS CLASSIC! - Picture 1 of 7

:cloud9:

^^  (thumbsu