• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collections drying up?
4 4

485 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

The main thing that separates the wealthy from the poor in this country is bankroll, inheritance, whatever you want to call it.  It is clear to me that it takes money to make money and apparently money is the thing to be pursued in life. That fails to offer much consolation at 67 for whatever reason while being assessed as just an estate target. . Money won't make the trip across the river Styx easier. Kindness might. I cannot believe how fast the trip from a kid to an old man was.  Be kind, really.  Now? I need to go mow 14 acres. 

actually money would make the trip easier, as to travel across the river form of Styx you had to give a coin to the dead to pay a toll so you could ride on the ferry. :)

10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

actually money would make the trip easier, as to travel across the river form of Styx you had to give a coin to the dead to pay a toll so you could ride on the ferry. :)

well, when I kick off I had planned to be buried with all my remotes and some  fresh batteries.  Maybe that Tomb of Dracula #1 for short term entertainment. 

well, I looked at  a thread in selling a lot of ASM and I'm taking a long hard look at the grades and I think I'm harder on myself grading raw  than that thread, so now, I'm just that much more cautious. It took about an hour just to find all the ASM and get them in sequence. Now I have to turn a hard eye to grading well over 100 of them.  I've learned a lot about grading objectivity since December. My fundamental problem is that I really prefer selling as a title and then moving to the next one. As I said I'm not in a hurry. I continue to learn a lot and I can see the differing points of view about the sales. I still want someone who wants it who doesn't just want to move it to the next person. I've had that AF 15 for fifty years.  Think on that. That's a long time. 

And the tomb of Dracula #1 popped up. It's gorgeous.

You need to figure in that the sale of your AF15 alone would cost you probably  25% in fully reportable taxable income , unless you recieve an under the table cash offer for it and all your other comics, and thats a lot of cash so this needs to be factored in the price as any banking transaction over 10k is monitored and audited 

11 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

You need to figure in that the sale of your AF15 alone would cost you probably  25% in fully reportable taxable income , unless you recieve an under the table cash offer for it and all your other comics, and thats a lot of cash so this needs to be factored in the price as any banking transaction over 10k is monitored and audited 

suddenly it is worth travelling to the buyer to do a cash deal in a bank or in a police station.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

suddenly it is worth travelling to the buyer to do a cash deal in a bank or in a police station.

Jeez, maybe the shrewdest move would be to sell it for less than  I paid for it and take a capital loss?  That would foil them... except that I found this book in a box of comics in 1968 or 69, I can't remember.  I suppose I could pay someone to take it off my hands. 

On June 17, 2017 at 7:09 PM, SteppinRazor said:

I agree that there aren't run collections being made these days, just collections of keys, but I don' think everyone doing that is a flipper.  It may seem like that because it seems a lot of boardies are , but just because someone is building a value based collection rather than a collection of contiguous story, they aren't by nature flippers.

My comment is based upon my 15 years of buying/selling comics across a wide spectrum of venues from Instagram to conventions. Not everyone is a flipper, but there are a lot more than before the Movie Age of comics. It's like '88-92 again with an influx of speculators. And by "flipper", I mean people who flip, as in haggle and haggle and haggle with the hopes of getting a deal on the latest hot book so that they can make a quick profit. They are not the type of 'collector' who are good for the long-term health of this hobby most of us love so much. That is my concern.

Like I said, it's just my opinion from my perspective. Frankly, I wish all comics were worth $100 or less so that they wouldn't be seen as such a commodity. #PipeDreams

On June 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Glassman10 said:

well, i think it all went down hill when the Mom's of America stopped throwing all this stuff out when decontaminating Junior's room. That's what happened to my comics from the golden age. I was 1000 miles from home before I kicked in again in a mom proof closet. At this point everything from the '80's on have to be 9.6 to sell at all. So, that needs a slab and many think it needs a press. The reality is that thee's a bazillion copies out there. My AF15? One of about 110 at a 5.0.

Full collections would be tough. I remember when the Silver Surfer #4 failed to show up at the bus depot. I couldn't find it in Albuquerque either. So, I never had Thor and SS fighting over parking places or whatever. Low distribution I was told.  At that time recall that if you had marvel subscriptions, they indeed showed up every month- folded. Nice touch.  The number of dealers will be determined by demand and mark up plus at least an ounce of passion. In the art world, galleries are closing left and right as the people who collected in the '60's and '70's are trying to downsize, not get more. And candidly the internet has changed everything in marketing as well as total lack of trust.  (Read :"I'm not a professional grader but...). Googling virtually anything these days turns up some product. I was at Amazon yesterday and went for bee keeping outfits. There were no less than 30 entries. I would not want to do brick and mortar based on that. Comic Cons are a direct way to sell indeed. Holding the book in your hands is real.  But flipping books from the '90's and newer? I think you'd be better off flipping forever stamps from the post office. 

All valid points. A few quick comments:

At this point everything from the '80's on have to be 9.6 to sell at all. So, that needs a slab and many think it needs a press.

I disagree with the inability to sell stuff from that era under 9.6. The '80s contains some of the best superhero stuff out there. The Copper Age is my bread and butter. Classic runs can be obtained for reasonable prices by anyone with a modest disposable income in the raw 8.0-9.4 range. Many of us tend to forget that not everyone is a high grade/slab collector; many actually want to open the comics and enjoy them (i.e.) me. As for the need to press, the whole act of pressing makes me sick to my stomach. I call it the "squeeze everything you can out of it" syndrome.

(Read :"I'm not a professional grader but...).

Yeah, I hate that, BUT most casual buyers know nothing about grading so it's a wash. Even I now price my books based upon eye appeal more so than actual technical grade. I let the buyer determine if they like the book for the price. Avoiding assigned grades on most of my books has eliminated 99% of debates without negatively affecting my reputation or sales. 

But flipping books from the '90's and newer? I think you'd be better off flipping forever stamps from the post office. 

I sadly disagree. Flipping moderns is the way to go if you have the time to follow what's hot and make the rounds. These are books you can often find for $1-4 each and then get multiples of 5-10x if flipped quickly. The dollar return is even much higher if you manage to get them graded at 9.8 or higher. But, you risk getting burned if you hold on too long. 

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have any investment in arguments about what is and what isn't attractive. I love really old cars too but I don't think I'd consider ever driving one of them across the country just based on the extreme likelihood of mechanical failure. Looking back, I feel really fortunate that I got to collect these things a month at a time on the rack at the bus depot and it cost next to nothing. Keep in mind that in 1967, the internet didn't exist and dealers were extremely rare ( Anyone remember Rogofsky?) . Getting books was actually kind of difficult if you missed an issue or wanted to go back in time.  What we have now makes it far easier to collect but it's more expensive as well. Those days of finding AF15 in a dirty box are for the most part , gone.  If moderns have a good following, I can view that as a very good thing since it insures that comic collectors will go on. I just wish they were .10 cents though. Just consider distribution issues, quality controls in printing, drawing, inking and lettering in a non stop deadline environment. People Like Stan Lee really were remarkable in their fixations on this strange hobby when you think about all those hoops to jump through. When I was a kid, we got punished for reading comics.    

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Chick txts me on Saturday off Craigslist tells me she has comics for sale. 

.. I cant make this up...

i ask her for a pic, she sends me a pic of her half naked

I told her I meant pics of the collection! She never replied back

either insulted or embarrassed but that's funny

8 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Pics or it didn't happen!  :makepoint:

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

^^

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

How awesome would it be if we all sent you topless pics of ourselves...?

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Pics or it didn't happen.:eyeroll::eyeroll: