• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collections drying up?
4 4

485 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I am absolutely certain he doesn't want a topless pic of me.

If by that you mean you have moobs, well, so does she lol

10 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
11 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

My eyes......

He is skinny compared to me.

Liar.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, Glassman10 said:
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, piper said:

Well said. I hope glassman tries to sell some books on the boards.

It is a very good summation  and I don't disagree a whole lot with the argument as presented but I would point out that as buyers, if you expect to flip the books immediately, then there must be decent connections to that  FMV market readily available or you wouldn't buy any of them. So, buyers have entered a business model that relies on sellers being kind of desperate, which I'm not. I would think that marvel collection from 67-74 were in general pretty good stuff to have in decent shape

I would not want to be in a business flipping comics or houses or antiques in general unless I was willing to hold onto them for a long time but there's a lot of glee here when someone really scores on someone else's efforts or perhaps necessity .  I own stocks and they have gone up extremely well in the last 8 years and currently I have no basis to think I want to sell them . Eight years ago, I would have been devastated to have been forced there.

Comics are different and it's simply the case that they don't age well. But there's a reality here on how they get monetized. First is paying to press something probably not worth pressing and then the fees for grading. A common book sells you the graders notes for five bucks. the AF15? That's fifteen bucks.  Why is that? A better pencil?  The system is structured to allow the barnacles on the hull to do quite well. I am continually fascinated by people slabbing books that bring a 2.0 and they weren't valuable to begin with. Slabs from the 1990's really? In actuality, I find the whole thing distasteful since I was simply a kid who loved Marvel superheros with feet of clay.  I am willing to pass that along to someone who would love them the same way if possible. 

But do try to keep in mind that the origin of this thread was "Collections drying up" with great mention of estate sales and old geezers coughing up stuff to be monetized but never cherished.  It's appears to be a big churn . I'll watch the WTB and kick in when I think it's worth it. I did that with the 129. I hope I can do it with the AF15 and a number of others . I would be interested if the 129 owner  will pipe up since his slab arrived there yesterday. 

Why don't you just start a thread here selling your books? You can take your time and list them how you want. There would be no hurry and you can set your prices and negotiate as you want. I think you would enjoy unless you wouldn't like to do all the packing. 

Even your common books would sell here. Look at ebay prices subtract eBay's fees and come up with a fair number. Ive been buying and selling on this board for well over 15 years now with less then a handful of issues. I think you would do very well and I think you would enjoy it. 

On 6/6/2017 at 8:38 PM, jsilverjanet said:

It's been a good year for buying but a lot of the same familiar venues don't yield the same results as before. The competition in Chicago is tough, there are more buyers than ever before but I've still gotten lucky.  Silver age is next to impossible for me to find, Golden age as well.

Shop owners in and around Chicago have accomplished very little in terms of turning over their stock or acquiring new stock over the past year. 

32 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Shop owners in and around Chicago have accomplished very little in terms of turning over their stock or acquiring new stock over the past year. 

That's very interesting. Wonder what the numbers are for sellers nationwide. 

Online, Ive had the same return ratios as before but not as frequently. 

This may be because alot more people are now aware of finding deals in the wild, and concentrate on doing just that, as opposed to buying at a premium online. This may also cause buyers to shift their collecting habits and goals

I think I know what's going on because I think I've seen it before.  One of my other hobbies is fixing up/driving old Volkswagens.  There was a time when you could always find another project car sitting in someone's field somewhere.  But eventually, all those "field cars" rusted too bad to be viable and the only good candidates for restoration was a car in someone's garage (not their field).  Then as the prices started going up, the opportunists came out of the woodwork.  Now, if you find a VW for sale, it isn't one that was recently found and flipped.  It's held by strong hands, and the price of them has gone parabolic.  People keep hoping the prices will go down, but then as the higher prices captivate the media (a new record price for a VW bus at auction), everyone thinks they are sitting on a gold mine, making it worse.

I'm not saying that the comic books are rotting away like cars in the fields.  But I am the same phenomenon.  As supplies dry up, prices rise.  As prices rise, the opportunists search harder to find what's still unclaimed, so it's an upward spiral.  Eventually, the only material is what is in people's collections as a cherished item.  They won't sell it cheaply.  I honestly don't think prices are coming down for a long, long time.  Kids have been playing with Ironman toys from Walmart now for...what...10 years?  Demographics are great compared to other things I've collected that still showed dramatic rises.  It isn't ending.  It's only going to get worse.  Buy what you want now.

Got incredibly lucky last week. This is the photo from the estate sale listing. I just NEVER see this kind of stuff at an estate sale. There were 6 buyers that showed up after me and one in front of me. He only wanted the Green Hornet!  He said I could have the rest. So I bought them all and gave him the Hornet. I was a very happy boy...

eststecomics_zpsdxchfzjh.jpg