• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collections drying up?
4 4

485 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Owner is in his mid 90s and the collection is priceless to him.  I'd expect it will come to market when he passes.  Not as big as the Mile High but should easily get a pedigree designation.  It's high grade, early, and high quality.  I'd guess it's the best  GA collection that's undiscovered but certainly they haven't all been found.

There's a friend of mine who has become acquainted with a local collector in his 90's who has been buying books since the late 30's (including Action 1, which he sadly no longer owns). The collection is said to be large, but also heavily amateur restored (the elderly gentleman is an artist and he tinkers with all his books). 

Likewise, I imagine it will come to market when the time comes.

Just now, sacentaur said:

There's a friend of mine who has become acquainted with a local collector in his 90's who has been buying books since the late 30's (including Action 1, which he sadly no longer owns). The collection is said to be large, but also heavily amateur restored (the elderly gentleman is an artist and he tinkers with all his books). 

Likewise, I imagine it will come to market when the time comes.

They are out there.

34 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Thanks for the reply, yes it was Famous monsters that started my interest, I made the mistake of looking at their back issue page and I was HOOKED! There I was minding my own business suddenly there was Monster World, Screen thrills, Creepy and Eerie, as I got other mail order lists then came Castle of Frankenstein Mad monsters Horror monsters the list grew and grew. To think that I was dealing with these U.S dealers were Amazing fantasy was listed for $15 (I'm depressed now) and I was only interested in horror movie magazines. If you hear a loud bang in the States it is only me taking my own life lol.    

I forgot about Castle of Frankenstein. Did you know film director Joe Dante (Grenlims, Parina) wrote for COF as a kid. 

21 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Negan did that for me as I stopped watching the show then, as for the comics I hate the art (oops should I say that online). I've even written for Famous monsters and other magazines so no I've not lose interest in horror (love the Universal and Hammer films) I went back to my love of comics as a child too little too late. 

Funny I never actually realized how much I love horror comics till I read your post. My first love was EC reprints as I wasn't born when the originals came out. Then it was the 80s indie stuff Twisted Tales Fangoria taboo gore shriek etc... I took a sabbatical when walking dead came out but when I saw the covers for it, it always reminded me of Richard corben b&w horror stuff. I actually thought he did the covers for those books.. 

39 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Thanks for the reply, yes it was Famous monsters that started my interest, I made the mistake of looking at their back issue page and I was HOOKED! There I was minding my own business suddenly there was Monster World, Screen thrills, Creepy and Eerie, as I got other mail order lists then came Castle of Frankenstein Mad monsters Horror monsters the list grew and grew. To think that I was dealing with these U.S dealers were Amazing fantasy was listed for $15 (I'm depressed now) and I was only interested in horror movie magazines. If you hear a loud bang in the States it is only me taking my own life lol.    

BTW, the AF15 for 15$, are you sure? I read a book about the first comic con in 1964 in NYC and the book included some price lists and folks were selling AF15 there for 25$. Did anybody else read that book? Am I remember correctly?

3 hours ago, the blob said:

well, "inherited" implies a dead dad.  I'm 44, please don't kill me off so soon, although lately i feel like I'm pretty close.

I thought "inherited" meant "he doesn't know I'm trying to sell it".

4 hours ago, the blob said:

with 5,000 octobers and aweanorders all looking to score on that potential underpriced key, with search engines and snipes galore, potential russian interference and what not, it's harder to find one.

wonder if Putin is a GA guy

Even the shops are ransacked of minor minor key issues.  

I agree with the time frame, it's been bad the last year. 

Toy collecting has been much worse the past 2 years.  

Everyone is now aware that they can quickly become an "expert" on the price of something.  

Patrick

6 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I don't think collections are drying up, just being held onto. There's more awareness with all the movie hype.

I'm pretty sure in about 10+ years time there will be a glut of collections popping up for sale, I'm 50 and plan to sell around retirement time, and there are a ton of guys my age with sweet collections. You can't take it to your grave! It's possible now might be the best time to sell, movies will dry up along with the hype, comics may well be as popular as pulps 20 years from now.

That's what some people were saying 20 years ago. ;)

I noticed a huge decline in SA ASM on eBay near the end of last summer.  I don't remember the exact number but I think there was around 15k SA ASM but now its usually around 10k.  That is a precipitous drop in a short amount of time.  Why its happened?  It could be a number of things, but I think the core sentiment behind Oktober's post is absolutely true.  The quantity and quality have both suffered severely and right now being a Spidey collector gets more expensive with every auction.  

56 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

am I the only one who thought this might be about page brittleness before opening the topic? Might be from living out in dry old Arizona now.

I thought it was about comics pulling their weight in the kitchen. 

6 minutes ago, october said:

I thought it was about comics getting on the wagon.

I actually thought it was going to be another improper pressing thread.

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

They are out there.

In a way ... yes. They would have to be either 2nd or 3rd generation GA collections in smaller sizes. Forget the original owner status - this day was long gone.  Maybe finding one of original owner SA collections is possible. I have noticed more BA collections come up from time to time. More often are Derks or modern collections ... not for me.

with the people nearing their seniority to retire and downsizing, they might start sell away their comics someday. Now this year seems dry up in my area in garage sales.

I knew of one elderly gentleman whom has a nice small GA/SA collection. He had stopped buying comics in late '70s. Had seen his collection. He is not yet ready to let go of these books (he started in early 1950s!). Yep, people are holding on theirs.

it's just a matter of being in right place at the right time.

12 hours ago, valiantman said:
16 hours ago, the blob said:

well, "inherited" implies a dead dad.  I'm 44, please don't kill me off so soon, although lately i feel like I'm pretty close.

I thought "inherited" meant "he doesn't know I'm trying to sell it".

Actually was the case with the Church books, with Edgar alive and in the hospital as his family was trying to sell the books.  And, of course, the first group of Crippens was stolen and sold by a contractor working on the house.

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You know of an undiscovered collection? hm

Owner is in his mid 90s and the collection is priceless to him.  I'd expect it will come to market when he passes.  Not as big as the Mile High but should easily get a pedigree designation.  It's high grade, early, and high quality.  I'd guess it's the best  GA collection that's undiscovered but certainly they haven't all been found.

Interesting.