• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

Just now, grayzr said:

Nice

The books you been posting seem to be in high grade.

On average what ballpark grades are most of the books in?

They are all over the place. Even within one run. So I can't really say. The Silver Surfer first volume had a #3 with tape and almost detached cover and the #4 looks great to me. The ASM 129 that I put in a PGM thread was consensus 6.0. Newer Silver Surfer are solid VF/NM to NM, maybe even NM+. Newer books seem solid, VF/NM or better and older books are hit and miss. I am putting together a small batch for CGC so I will post what they come back as in 40 days or so!

1 minute ago, Bird said:

They are all over the place. Even within one run. So I can't really say. The Silver Surfer first volume had a #3 with tape and almost detached cover and the #4 looks great to me. The ASM 129 that I put in a PGM thread was consensus 6.0. Newer Silver Surfer are solid VF/NM to NM, maybe even NM+. Newer books seem solid, VF/NM or better and older books are hit and miss. I am putting together a small batch for CGC so I will post what they come back as in 40 days or so!

I would love to see how the Hulk 181 grades as

23 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Maybe I should move back to Jersey -- lol

Here's ANOTHER volume collection being offered in Jersey with multiples of books and a huge collection after being in storage:

https://cnj.craigslist.org/for/6179597012.html

I almost replied to this one! I had the window open and thought "what am I doing?"

41 minutes ago, Bird said:

I almost replied to this one! I had the window open and thought "what am I doing?"

Also, your collection is better... has all the keys, this other one does not.  Keys were sold long ago.  Still might be cool to pick through.

okay, back in the car and pulled over to see if the Star Wars 1 was the 35 cent variant...no such luck. But I have two quotes to pass along "I lost my sentimental attachment to these long ago" (meaning I should have made a deal for even less $$$!) and "you asked about Marvel Treasury Editions and I thought what are those. but here they are!" Fun fun fun today when I get home, although I am still going through last weeks batch. he only had 2000 comics ready and was complaining about getting them to the front of the house. Given our great interactions to this point, I am confident that we will finish it all up just slowly. Next week he is going to Baltimore so I told him we could keep it small, 1000 books and early Saturday morning again.

A damn shame!

DCjGlCRW0AAW7F7.jpg

Which comics are these you may ask? Of course...

DCjGYkzUMAAT-ru.jpg

my tears may add to the water damage! I even told him Doc was my favorite...I was pretty jazzed to get the full run. Oh well, win some you lose some. And I definitely lost on these here ones.

Edited by Bird

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

A damn shame!

Which comics are these you may ask? Of cour

my tears may add to the water damage! I even told him Doc was my favorite...I was pretty jazzed to get the full run. Oh well, win some you lose some. And I definitely lost on these here ones.

Dang, I haven't been following too closely (ebay etc.) hopefully this figures into the price :shy:

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Dang, I haven't been following too closely (ebay etc.) hopefully this figures into the price :shy:

Yeah, it will now. We have an understanding that the books have to hold up to what he said they were. So I'll bring these to his attention and we'll figure it out. But I wanted those books, definite keepers if they were even low grade but not like this. I'll throw them up at the convention I am doing in August and see what happens but someone is going to get a cheap key somewhere.

if anyone thinks that they may want them, not now please. Just not now. Too aggravated to deal with them. I am at the end of my free auctions on ebay so I will just take a break (well, somewhat). First I have to go get the X-Men early issues out and make sure they are okay. This bag is the only one with this type of damage so far so hopefully the rest of the books I value will be okay. My two favorite books are probably SS4 and Doc169 (DD 181 rocks my world as well) so this sucks. Not the end of the world but definitely anger inducing.

19 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

What's your time frame to purchase this collection/sell it?

No hard and fast deadlines. I am taking them as fast as he will get them out for me, technically I am supposed to take them all as soon as possible and make payments that finish by the end of the year but he is not as focused on that as I am I guess. I have all the best titles already and am getting more next weekend.

Selling I see as taking me 8-10 years. Seriously, I have thought about it and that seems the time limit. I am not in need to sell other than to clear space. There are comics everywhere. But this is my hobby and I really enjoy it. Instead of estate/yard sale hunting I can stay home for that few hours and ready comics and stare at the computer waiting for a sale. :wishluck:   I want to get a few thousand ready for a local con where I am going to sell at the end of August. I expect that to go okay and will consider doing two of those a year but sitting behind a table all day is a form of torture to me. I sold many of the earliest ASMs already and am moving away from that and listing larger lots on ebay of the more run of the mill stuff. I am going to offer a few 50-75 book lots at that con (likely keep them in my car so as to maximize table space and just have a list with large print at the table, it is a VFW situation so I can duck out quickly while the wife and/or promoter watches the table).

1 minute ago, wombat said:

How long do you anticipate it will take to cover the cost of the collection?

who knows? It is big cash but the books are good and moving enough so far. I don't have to sell to cover it, just to make it easier. If need be I can take a pension loan and pay it all off anytime. The interest paid on the loan goes back into my pension account (yeah, that's kinda neat, huh?). I had a short talk with the wife about laying out the cash and she was fine with it. Rolled her eyes at me a bit but we are solid like that so no big deal. She just said make sure we can still go to Bermuda late July as planned!

I am excited at having some serious slabbed books. That will be fun. I am not panicked about paying and it is not necessary. I expect to be out 25-50% of the cost if I decide to really sell the bulk at bulk prices and keep the gems. That is fine.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

8-10 years is a long time, especially in this market.

I wish you all the luck in the world but if it was me I'd try and move them much much sooner.

And how would you do that?

I don't want to mess up your plan as I'm sure you thought about this prior to making the commitment. But 8-10 years seems like a long time to commit to this era of books. these books to me are very common and while some may argue for the long term hold, I however disagree. 

Furthermore i buy multiple smaller collections throughout the year. I don't want to be held down to one large collection (money/space/time) and miss out on others as they come along.

whatever I can't sell (at a premium) I move in bulk to local dealers. They won't pay the best but if I did good then the keys should cover the cost + profit. I'll keep some of the regular books for my low priced boxes

Again my circumstances and yours can be different.

by the way 8-10 years was worst case scenario. Hope for the best but plan for the worst type thing. I am going to do a comic yard sale and offer some runs on craigslist when they are a bit more organized, which should be by the time of that convention in August. I already have a two longboxes ready for that and expect to bring 8-10 overall. maybe some more for under the table but worst case, 8 longs for the table (my table holds that as I have had a yard sale for comics once before). Worse comes to worse I have enough comic art, more than enough, to pay for it as well.