• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gene Simmons Wants to Trademark Spider-Man's 'Thwip' Hand Gesture
2 2

47 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Gene, stick to music please.:facepalm:

Why? The music pretty much sucks azz too

I love the first four albums and Kiss Alive :frown::frown:

1 hour ago, kpaqu1 said:

I would suggest reading how Trademarks work before loosing one's mind, but it's too late.

:headbang:

I can't afford to loose my mine won more time. :gossip:

Kiss is my first band I ever liked , huge huge kiss fan BUT Gene is a douccche.  He is all about squeezing every dime he can in sake of even the band . He is all about selling everything he can. This is just right  up his persona. Total Jerk. Was always a Ace guy. And by the way Gene if anyone needs to trademark it,  it would be Ronnie James Dio and his estate. 

Edited by spidrvacc

2 hours ago, spidrvacc said:

Kiss is my first band I ever liked , huge huge kiss fan BUT Gene is a douccche.  He is all about squeezing every dime he can in sake of even the band . He is all about selling everything he can. This is just right  up his persona. Total Jerk. 

Sounds like a contender for this WC thread..

Edited by Ken Aldred

I wish Dio could come back from the grave to kick Gene's . That'd be very metal.

Gene Simmons is, like, the worst person in the world. Or at the very least he's Top 5.

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I wish Dio could come back from the grave to kick Gene's . That'd be very metal.

Gene Simmons is, like, the worst person in the world. Or at the very least he's Top 5.

Dio was an absolutely brilliant metal vocalist.  Simmons doesn't have one iota of his talent.

4 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

How is this surprising?  KISS (specifically Gene) is all about the $$$.  They're the Kardashians with musical talent.

Yep. Gene is now a 67 year old multimillionaire still looking for more. I like Kiss,but Gene comes off looking real greedy here.  

Ace was my guy anyways. 

3426b042cadf6d12a0a6d965181ee3b0.jpg

14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I love the first four albums and Kiss Alive :frown::frown:

I liked them when I was younger as well, than I realized the Kiss Army is all about merchandising for Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

A group I found to supplant them who seem quite the opposite of them are 

grateful-dead-skull-and-roses-logo-patch-officially-licensed-classic-rock-gdp-artwork-3-5-x-3-5-iron-on-sew-on-embroidered-patch-by-application.jpg

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I liked them when I was younger as well, than I realized the Kiss Army is all about merchandising for Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

A group I found to supplant them who seem quite the opposite of them are 

grateful-dead-skull-and-roses-logo-patch-officially-licensed-classic-rock-gdp-artwork-3-5-x-3-5-iron-on-sew-on-embroidered-patch-by-application.jpg

Ew, icky, never got very into that hippy-dippy stuff.  Ha.ve a couple albums but don't listen to them

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ronnie-james-dios-widow-calls-gene-simmonss-attempt-to-trademark-horns-hand-gesture-laughable-and-disgusting/

Wendy Dio has slammed Gene Simmons's attempt to trademark the "horns" hand gesture as "laughable."

The widow of deceased singer Ronnie James Dio, who's widely credited with popularizing the symbol — a staple at rock concerts for decades — told TheWrap about Simmons's trademark application: "To try to make money off of something like this is disgusting. It belongs to everyone; it doesn't belong to anyone. … It's a public domain; it shouldn't be trademarked."

"It's laughable, I think, quite honestly," she continued. "I think he's made a complete fool of himself.

"It's disgusting; what does he want?" Wendy added.

Ronnie James Dio, who reportedly didn't start using the hand gesture on stage until after joining BLACK SABBATH in 1979, himself declined to take credit for the symbol, explaining in a 2001 interview: "That's like saying I invented the wheel. I'm sure someone did that at some other point. I think you'd have to say that I made it fashionable."

Dio ― who said he got the gesture from his Italian grandmother ― also took issue with Simmons.

"Gene Simmons will tell you that he invented it," Ronnie once said. "But then again, Gene invented breathing and shoes and everything else."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ronnie-james-dios-widow-calls-gene-simmonss-attempt-to-trademark-horns-hand-gesture-laughable-and-disgusting.html#ZLSl8o3oy7wrUXex.99

Unsurprisingly, I totally agree with her. 

Not exactly an unexpected response.

Any reasonably knowledgeable metal fan could see it coming.

Edited by Ken Aldred

From the above Wiki link in my post...Rock on!

WIKI: 

Contemporary use by musicians and fans[edit]

The 1969 back album cover for Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls on Mercury Records by Chicago-based psychedelic-occult rock band Coven, led by singer Jinx Dawson, pictured Coven band members giving the "sign of the horns" correctly[citation needed] and included a Black Mass poster showing members at a ritual making the sign. Starting in early 1968, Coven concerts always began and ended with Dawson giving the sign on stage. This began the common use in heavy metal music.