• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it really hard to admit it ?

70 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Wow that's really compelling!   Thanks for sharing that; you've convinced me!  

Really? It’s interesting but it feels a stretch to say that it is directly derived from Arthur Adams work to me. Has me curious – I wonder if anyone has ever asked Todd. Great observation.

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Really? It’s interesting but it feels a stretch to say that it is directly derived from Arthur Adams work to me. Has me curious – I wonder if anyone has ever asked Todd. Great observation.

Has anybody else put this theory forth before? I'm pretty much convinced now too. Amazing! (ha ha) first time observation (or first time I read it). Spidey on Longshot 4 cover...if you only showed me the Spidey figure, I would swear it's Larsen. However...before casting stones (!), let me me say that I'm far from an Adams, McFarlane or Larsen afficianado -in the sense that I wouldn't have known that figure (in isolation) came from Longshot 4 to begin with.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Has anybody else put this theory forth before? I'm pretty much convinced now too. Amazing! (ha ha) first time observation (or first time I read it). Spidey on Longshot 4 cover...if you only showed me the Spidey figure, I would swear it's Larsen. However...before casting stones (!), let me me say that I'm far from an Adams, McFarlane or Larsen afficianado -in the sense that I wouldn't have known that figure (in isolation) came from Longshot 4 to begin with.

It's on Art Adam's Wiki page, so this theory has been around a while.  not sure if McF has answered the question though.

50 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Well there it is ... Golden's spaghetti webbing inspired McFarlane and likely Adams. Great find!

Thats an awesome find.  All these years being a Spidey fan and I never knew about this.

I've said it numerous times (and I'm far from alone) that Michael Golden is one of THE most influential comic artists of all time.  He started a movement and a style that inspired a generation of artists that's still being impacted today.  Love them or hate them, art by guys like Art Adams, McFarlane, Leifeld, Lee, Larson, Campbell, and on and on would look very different if not for Golden.  

Scott

2 hours ago, Coach said:

Apparently McFarlane's webbing was inspired by Michael Golden:

http://www.cbr.com/comic-legends-the-secret-origin-of-spider-mans-spaghetti-webbing/

Great find, Coach! Thank you for getting us to the original source!

7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I've said it numerous times (and I'm far from alone) that Michael Golden is one of THE most influential comic artists of all time.  He started a movement and a style that inspired a generation of artists that's still being impacted today.  Love them or hate them, art by guys like Art Adams, McFarlane, Leifeld, Lee, Larson, Campbell, and on and on would look very different if not for Golden.  

Scott

x1,000!  His work on Micronauts remains some of my favorite after all these years.  I'll gladly pay for that Artist/Artifact Edition!

From https://www.popoptiq.com/micronauts-marvel-bill-mantlo-michael-golden/:

"Golden never was the most productive artist in comics...but he would influence artists for the next couple of decades. Look at almost any of the original Image artists and you can trace their influences directly or indirectly back to Golden. In an age where Marvel’s house style was still heavily influenced by Jack Kirby’s power and Neal Adam’s realism, Golden brought a flourish to that style. His expressive and acrobatic figures had a bounce to them that wasn’t present in many comics. His characters looked like they were ready to spring into action at any moment. And when they did finally fight, their bodies moved in ways that looked more like dancing than fisticuffs. There’s a gracefulness to Golden’s characters, whether he was drawing Batman, soldiers in Vietnam, or microcosmic adventurers, that he achieved with these flowing lines and limbs."

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

It's on Art Adam's Wiki page, so this theory has been around a while.  not sure if McF has answered the question though.

Another great source!  Thank you, Pete!

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Not so fast my friends! Check out the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #21, by Steve Ditko.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_21

:o:o:o(worship)

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Whats to debate?  

The best example of Spidey's spaghetti webbing, as drawn by the strip's co-creator, Ditko . . . that preceded something took up years later and expanded-upon by McFarlane . . .  that someone else thinks was invented by Golden.  I'm beginning to feel like I've wandered into a real-life episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' where the cast members are obsessing over minutiae. :grin: 

I posted the cover to ASM # 19 to supplement the post that highlighted the ASM # 21 cover . . . not to start debating which was the better Ditko example of the two.

Edited by The Voord

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

The best example of Spidey's spaghetti webbing, as drawn by the strip's co-creator, Ditko . . . that preceded something took up years later and expanded-upon by McFarlane . . .  that someone else thinks was invented by Golden.  I'm beginning to feel like I've wandered into a real-life episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' where the cast members are obsessing over minutiae. :grin: 

I posted the cover to ASM # 19 to supplement the post that highlighted the ASM # 21 cover . . . not to start debating which was the better Ditko example of the two.

Based on the pics, it is clear that Ditko was the first to draw the webbing with the spiral webs outside of the straight ones. In my eyes, the term spaghetti webbing was born with McFarlane as he drew copious amounts of webbing that resembled, well, a bowl of spaghetti. It’s minutiae for sure, but fun minutiae to chat about