• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to the Fantastic Four?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Bronty said:

Oh man you are trolling so hard! :)   FF 1-275  is much better overall than spidey 1-275, but the fact is the runs are better and worse at different points in time.    

Spidey 1-40 is better, FF40-100 destroys spidey.    100-200 are a draw, but FF 200-275 is so much better than spidey.    

The thing I don't like about Spidey 40 up is there is so much of a soap opera element.    FF has family squabbles as part of the storyline, but its a sideshow and that's all.  Peripheral.    With spidey its like in the late 60s the book really becomes about Peter Parker's love/career interests.   Blech.    I don't think its a coincidence that they called his second title, Peter Parker TSS, as that's where Marvel's head was at.     The book should have Peter elements, even significant ones but jeez louise I don't want more pages about his girlfriends then about what's happening in what should be the main story.

The plot hooks of love, jealousy, and heartbreak in the lives of Peter Parker and Johnny Storm derive from the romance comics in the 1950s, many of which Stan wrote. Spidey and FF had a soap opera element that would thread each issue, and I think that's why Marvel had such a faithful readership in the 1960s.

I'm not disputing any of that.   But I feel like a bored housewife trying to read Spider-Man - the pendulum swung too far towards soap after ditto left.   I very much feel the same way about the xmen

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, NamesJay said:

ALL FF needs is a great writer and artist to do an arc that lasts more than 5 issues. Throw in some Campbell variants and you have yourself a top 10 book again.

Couldn't that work for almost any sagging book?  The trick is to find the right writer and artist at the right time, telling the right story.  If that was easy, almost every book would be fighting for the top spot. 

FF 4 just does not translate well into todays entertainment whereas Spidey and X-Men were so far ahead of their time that they are entirely relevant today.  Young adults with super-powers and social issues is something adults and teens can get behind.  They tried to make the characters in FF younger and since it felt unnatural it failed.  I'm liking the idea of concentrating on the FF kids since a modern story won't feel as forced.

The sad part is that so much of what is happening in the movies today stems directly from the Fantastic Four title.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four by way of the annhialation saga, by way of annhiulus. That team started out in the comics to defeat the leader of the Negative Zone. (All FF Characters)

Avengers - Infinity War. Kirby created The Watcher in FF who was the first known of the celestial beings, Galactus  (FF), Surfer (FF), Warlock (FF).

The Fantastic Four is the foundation of the marvel universe, but we haven't had a creative mind working on this title in 30 years. Want to talk about a waste of a franchise?

What happened to the FF you say? Wolverine, and Movies.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

FF 4 just does not translate well into todays entertainment whereas Spidey and X-Men were so far ahead of their time that they are entirely relevant today

It was much too sensible and sophisticated, admittedly. 

The Thing letting himself be swallowed by a giant sea monster (imaginatively called Giganto, just in case you missed that it was very, very large indeed) to take it out with a nuke that he's got strapped to his back.

Quality storytelling.

Edited by Ken Aldred

29 minutes ago, Architecht said:
2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

@Architecht I no longer have a custom title.. Sad days.

What was it?

Pat's a Dork

I have the solution bring the Fantastic Four back, but kill off Reed and have Victor Von Doom as the new leader!

This will be the new modern spin with their enemy leading them. We will even have Sue fall in love with Doom which will cause conflict with Ben and the Human Torch.

One thing that made the Fantastic Four was they had the number one villian. 

When reading FF I always thought Doctor Doom was much more interesting than Reed Richards.

2477b5e006d6ff59362cc0ada46e8427.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 6/28/2017 at 0:50 PM, Bronty said:

The thing I don't like about Spidey 40 up is there is so much of a soap opera element.    FF has family squabbles as part of the storyline, but its a sideshow and that's all.  Peripheral.    With spidey its like in the late 60s the book really becomes about Peter Parker's love/career interests.   Blech.    I don't think its a coincidence that they called his second title, Peter Parker TSS, as that's where Marvel's head was at.     The book should have Peter elements, even significant ones but jeez louise I don't want more pages about his girlfriends then about what's happening in what should be the main story.

You are right.

I went back and read some of those Spideys #40 to #100 a few years back. I was surprised at how much of a soap opera they were with Peter with Gwen and Mary Jane.

Spidey #1-#40 are the peak, but the series gets real good again with Gerry Conway #123 to #149.

That run there is better than #41 to #100.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Spidey #1-#40 are the peak, but the series gets real good again with Gerry Conway #123 to #149.

That run there is better than #41 to #100.

100% agree

I'm a 70s kid but I never liked FF. Not then not now. I liked some of the stories. Dr Doom is by far THE rising star of the title. Probably as ultimate a villain as Darth Vader is in my mind. 

But the team is very campy and very.. well.. old

However, I do agree that FF #1 used to be THE Marvel book to own in the 80s. Even while I wasn't a fan, I could only dream of owning that book back then, not AF15, not X-Men 1. FF 1 was the grail. 

Certainly doesn't feel that way anymore

Portray Reed accurately as a super genius. Portray Sue as the hottest female on the planett. Make The Thing on equal ground as Hulk in terms of strength. Portray Johnny as a younger Tony Stark.

It's all about writing. "Where there is a good story, people will come." Art is of course important too, sure,  but really -- just nail the story and things will come into place.