• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

Just now, kav said:

no because plenty of people knew about the stones.  Thanos was surrounded by supernatural allies and was obsessed with his mission.  it would seem weird if he DIDNT know about the stones.
It has nothing to do with super powers.

But then how did he figure an Infinity Gauntlet would combine all of the powers into one massive weapon? We just assume somewhere in his travels someone shared these details and were a credible source where he would dedicate the rest of his days to make this all come about? See what I mean? We are putting extra burden on the human antagonist because he didn't have access to these overpowered additional characters, major contributors or otherwise.

If we have a -script rule, then it needs to be the rule. Not even the assumption 'EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THANOS IS' because maybe they don't know his full backstory.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

But then how did he figure an Infinity Gauntlet would combine all of the powers into one massive weapon? 

Now THIS is a legitimate question and in a complete screenplay, would have been addressed.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

mentions in a single book in the entire world no one knew about tho.

Was it? Or once they had that single reference they started digging into other cataclysmic events? I thought they found out about more than the Mayans. But I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Now THIS is a legitimate question and in a complete screenplay, would have been addressed.

It really was a big step forward in the overall Infinity War saga. So it would have been nice to delve into how this awareness came about leading to Thanos dedicating everything to making this happen. Including having the dwarves of Nidavellir create it for him before killing everyone but their king who he maimed. That would have been one heck of a story to see play out - and emotional too.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But then how did he figure an Infinity Gauntlet would combine all of the powers into one massive weapon? We just assume somewhere in his travels someone shared these details and were a credible source where he would dedicate the rest of his days to make this all come about? See what I mean? We are putting extra burden on the human antagonist because he didn't have access to these overpowered additional characters, major contributors or otherwise.

If we have a --script rule, then it needs to be the rule. Not even the assumption 'EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THANOS IS' because maybe they don't know his full backstory.

I think that there's a logical explanation for the Gauntlet, as exposition in IW explains. Nidavellir is simply the nexus of magical tools. If anyone can harness such a power, the dwarfs there were the answer.

I think that there is also logical reasoning into thinking that all 6 stones - that control all 6 aspects of life - would grant you infinite power. But, how did he know that The Orb was a stone? Did he consult The Collector? I think that there are bigger question than these, which are all unrelated to WW84...

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Was it? Or once they had that single reference they started digging into other cataclysmic events? I thought they found out about more than the Mayans. But I could be wrong.

They were led to the Mayan dude but had no idea he had a book.
When Dr Banner told the ancient one Dr Strange gave up his stone, how did she know he wasnt lying?  That does not need to be explained because the audience can make the leap that the ancient one has the ability to tell when someone is lying.  Not everything has to be explained if the plot has elements that make an explanation uneccessary.  There was nothing to explain how Max knew more than the world's greatest archeologists or an amazon who knew about the gods and all their hijinx knew.

Just now, Angel of Death said:

I think that there's a logical explanation for the Gauntlet, as exposition in IW explains. Nidavellir is simply the nexus of magical tools. If anyone can harness such a power, the dwarfs there were the answer.

I think that there is also logical reasoning into thinking that all 6 stones - that control all 6 aspects of life - would grant you infinite power. But, how did he know that The Orb was a stone? Did he consult The Collector? I think that there are bigger question than these, which are all unrelated to WW84...

Pffft - he's an omnipotent being. Let all that wondering go by the wayside. :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It really was a big step forward in the overall Infinity War saga. So it would have been nice to delve into how this awareness came about leading to Thanos dedicating everything to making this happen. Including having the dwarves of Nidavellir create it for him before killing everyone but their king who he maimed. That would have been one heck of a story to see play out - and emotional too.

ps all someone had to do was explain population curves to thanos and that halving populations just causes a temporary dip in population and it will climb back up.
Is anyone here a biologist?  Like in Seinfeld.

1 minute ago, kav said:

They were led to the Mayan dude but had no idea he had a book.
When Dr Banner told the ancient one Dr Strange gave up his stone, how did she know he wasnt lying?  That does not need to be explained because the audience can make the leap that the ancient one has the ability to tell when someone is lying.  Not everything has to be explained if the plot has elements that make an explanation uneccessary.  There was nothing to explain how Max knew more than the world's greatest archeologists or an amazon who knew about the gods and all their hijinx knew.

Ahhhhh - but remember. There is an HBO Max or movie come out that is dedicated to the Amazons of Themyscira. Maybe - just maybe - Patty Jenkins is holding back on that wild card to surprise is later on versus forcing every ounce of the story into one film. Time will tell.

Just now, kav said:

ps all someone had to do was explain population curves to thanos and that halving populations just causes a temporary dip in population and it will climb back up.
Is anyone here a biologist?  Like in Seinfeld.

The idea of the movie was to teach a lesson. Now, the problem is, that Thanos didn't explain the lesson to anyone other than his children or the Black Order. So how would they know that overpopulation was the problem that led to The Decimation?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Ahhhhh - but remember. There is an HBO Max or movie come out that is dedicated to the Amazons of Themyscira. Maybe - just maybe - Patty Jenkins is holding back on that wild card to surprise is later on versus forcing every ounce of the story into one film. Time will tell.

You cannot explain plot elements in a film with "The next movie will explain this".
You can add on to stuff that explains things but you cannot fill a plot hole in a complete film in this manner.

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

The idea of the movie was to teach a lesson. Now, the problem is, that Thanos didn't explain the lesson to anyone other than his children or the Black Order. So how would they know that overpopulation was the problem that led to The Decimation?

You cannot teach nature a lesson.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

You cannot explain plot elements in a film with "The next movie will explain this".
You can add on to stuff that explains things but you cannot fill a plot hole in a complete film in this manner.

I understand how you see things and expect. I'm just sharing there may be a plan in her head how she wants Amazons and even Wonder Woman 3 to pull together some of the details. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Sure you can! "If you're cousins, stop having 6 kids that you can't afford to feed." :p

Nature I said.  Not individuals.  All species will breed to the maximum of the available resources.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Nature I said.  Not individuals.  All species will breed to the maximum of the available resources.

I think what he is referring to is since Thanos sacrificed so much to accomplish his goals - to include murdering his adopted daughter - you would hope he would want the lessons of such a massive contribution applied in how they avoid over-population. Otherwise, what was the purpose of so much sacrifice if you are going to allow it to occur again over time?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I think what he is referring to is since Thanos sacrificed so much to accomplish his goals - to include murdering his adopted daughter - you would hope he would want the lessons of such a massive contribution applied in how they avoid over-population. Otherwise, what was the purpose of so much sacrifice if you are going to allow it to occur again over time?

species do not stop breeding because their population gets decimated.  Thanos needs to go back to school.  
Better wish using gauntlet would be 'all species will realize about population control.  A few generations after his action populations will be back to normal.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

species do not stop breeding because their population gets decimated.  Thanos needs to go back to school.  
Better wish using gauntlet would be 'all species will realize about population control.  A few generations after his action populations will be back to normal.

Uh-uh. That's not how the -script process works. :baiting::foryou:

A major sacrifice like that leads to a continued benefit or else it was a worthless contribution that detracts from the overall story and huge event it was tied to. Otherwise, summarize in the end the main antagonist recognized this had short-term value and he was okay being branded the villain for such a limited contribution if for nothing else the short-term gain it contributed.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh-uh. That's not how the --script process works. :baiting::foryou:

A major sacrifice like that leads to a continued benefit or else it was a worthless contribution that detracts from the overall story and huge event it was tied to. Otherwise, summarize in the end the main antagonist recognized this had short-term value and he was okay being branded the villain for such a limited contribution if for nothing else the short-term gain it contributed.

All I can say is every biologist watching that movie shook their head sadly at Thanos master plan.