• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, drotto said:

Yes, yes I am.

You mean like Disney controls reporters and critics to the point it banned the Los Angeles Times from attending pre-release movie reviews unless it started posting more positive articles and reviews of Disney productions and actions? And only lifted the ban when critics partnered and called Disney out - leading to the ban being lifted.

Disney lifts ban on L.A. Times film critics (2017)

I guess such things do happen. Like when Rise Of Skywalker received the lowest critic response in Star Wars franchise history (52%) so it appeared Disney pressured Fandango to lock the Rotten Tomatoes audience score at 86% for the entire run of the film so as to counter potential moviegoers being turned off.

In other words, studios can and have manipulated RT. Welcome to the party.

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

what kid wouldn't pick a Batman taffy over almost all of the Marvel characters?

Seriously? Okay, I'll give you a lot of little girls might pick a Wonder Woman lollipop over a Captain Marvel or Black Widow lollipop, though given the failure of WW84, and that Black Widow and CM2 are on the horizon, let's see how that goes a couple years from now. However, Spider-Man aside, the major male MCU heroes have surpassed the main DC characters Superman and Batman in popularity with young kids TODAY. Nobody except us adults remembers those Christopher Nolan Bat films. Ask any random male child who their favorite hero is, and most likely they will say Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, or Black Panther. The 10 year old son of a friend (who isn't a comic book movie person by any means) said his favorite hero is Doctor Strange. Not even speaking as an obvious hardcore MCU fan, it's Marvel Studios that has captured the imagination of this next generation.

From the mature Harley Quinn cartoon to the dark Zack Snyder movies to Joker, DC seems to have given up targeting young kids in their media content, aside from Wonder Woman and maybe Batgirl.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

47 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Seriously? Okay, I'll give you a lot of little girls might pick a Wonder Woman lollipop over a Captain Marvel or Black Widow lollipop, though given the failure of WW84 and Black Widow and CM2 on the horizon, let's see how that goes in a couple years from now. However, Spider-Man aside, the major male MCU heroes have surpassed the main DC characters Superman and Batman in popularity with young kids TODAY. Nobody except us adults remembers those Christopher Nolan Bat films. Ask any random male child who their favorite hero is, and most likely they will say Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, or Black Panther. The 10 year old son of a friend (who isn't a comic book movie person by any means) said his favorite hero is Doctor Strange. Not even speaking as an obvious hardcore MCU fan, it's Marvel Studios that has captured the imagination of this next generation.

From the mature Harley Quinn cartoon to the dark Zack Snyder movies to Joker, DC seems to have given up targeting young kids in their media content, aside from Wonder Woman and maybe Batgirl.

• Batman TAS
  • Batman: The Brave & The Bold TAS
  • Young Justice series (3 seasons and going)

Not even counting Justice League animated films or the more recent Wonder Woman: Bloodlines I think DC has done a decent job of staying engaged with young animated film loves. No matter how its live films perform. So I wouldn't assume just that medium is the only way to build a large fanbase with a younger generation. Young Justice is going into its Season Four release, and has a fanatical fanbase too.

DC_Marvel_Animated01.png.f54767f5832cee45ecf16f26262a860a.png

But you know these things.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, paperheart said:

.59574468085 - one negative review away from Rotten lol   bring out the wish stone

image.png.b7f6f78a698c310da54118c3e33e5e22.png

Low critic, high audience always means a good movie.  Critics seem to look for social messages in movies, not interesting plots.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Low critic, high audience always means a good movie.  Critics seem to look for social messages in movies, not interesting plots.

However, I also don’t completely trust Rotten Tomatoes determination of what makes a fresh or a rotten review. I’ve seen reviews they graded as negative that were actually more of a positive review and vice versa. 

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

However, I also don’t completely trust Rotten Tomatoes determination of what makes a fresh or a rotten review. I’ve seen reviews they graded as negative that were actually more of a positive review and vice versa. 

sometimes you get to review the site a pop up comes up I always say biased.

27 minutes ago, kav said:

sometimes you get to review the site a pop up comes up I always say biased.

RT is too easy for studios and moviegoers to still manipulate.

Even critics can tamper with the Fresh results when they don't want a film to land a 100% rating. To include a critic bragging about changing his score because he didn't feel any film should land 100%. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

RT is too easy for studios and moviegoers to still manipulate.

Even critics can tamper with the Fresh results when they don't want a film to land a 100% rating. To include a critic bragging about changing his score because he didn't feel any film should land 100%. :facepalm:

The critic reviews are still useful to me-high critic low audience means a complete dud.  Low critic high audience means great film.

30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

to me a successful superhero film is one where it is written/done so well I never have to suspend disbelief.

You have to because people cannot really fly.  But I hear what you are saying.

32 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

to me a successful superhero film is one where it is written/done so well I never have to suspend disbelief.

It's the "willing" suspension of disbelief that is key.  We are willing to suspend our disbelief in people flying, because the world depicted is consistent.
People start killing by injecting air bubbles or knocking the killer senseless then running off so he can recover and come after you again, instead of finishing him off like a normal person would, and people are no longer willing to suspend their disbelief-thats when they start screaming at the screen and turning it off.

in cop movies cops can shoot people like crazy and they go right back to work.  Everyone knows there's a long process to get back to work after a police shooting, but it's not enough to make us stop watching.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

It's the "willing" suspension of disbelief that is key.  We are willing to suspend our disbelief in people flying, because the world depicted is consistent.
People start killing by injecting air bubbles or knocking the killer senseless then running off so he can recover and come after you again, instead of finishing him off like a normal person would, and people are no longer willing to suspend their disbelief-thats when they start screaming at the screen and turning it off.

That is what made me finally stop watching The Walking Dead on TV.

The good guys arm themselves and drive their well armored vehicles to the base of Negan and his lieutenants. The scene is: Negan and his Lieutenants are all standing on this landing, and Rick and his army are all pointing their guns at the bad guys. Rick orders their surrender and starts a countdown: "10  --  9 --  8 ---". He doesn't get any further and his group starts shooting. They hit NOTHING. I hate that kinda stuff.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

That is what made me finally stop watching The Walking Dead on TV.

The good guys arm themselves and drive their well armored vehicles to the base of Negan and his lieutenants. The scene is: Negan and his Lieutenants are all standing on this landing, and Rick and his army are all pointing their guns at the bad guys. Rick orders their surrender and starts a countdown: "10  --  9 --  8 ---". He doesn't get any further and his group starts shooting. They hit NOTHING. I hate that kinda stuff.

Likewise, brother-that's also when i stopped watching.  It didnt help that Negan was basically The Governor, and it was a recycled plot cause they were running out of ideas either.

In movies machine guns hit NOTHING.  You need a handgun to kill folks.  Also, ninjas cannot defeat anybody-however, no matter how many ya kill, there's always the same number of em.

1 minute ago, WeR138 said:

Ah, the A-Team.  I loved that show when I was a boy.

A good guy with a sling shot will defeat an army of ninjas with machine guns every time.

If someone is shootin at ya with a machine gun, just run.
They will cooperate by shooting behind you every time.