• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Silver said:

You're right, I left that out. I usually spend about close to 40% of my time looking through every dealers booth. How much I spend is dependent on if I find stuff to buy. I still go there to buy comics, I was just pointing out that I also go there for other stuff too now.

Have to agree.  I've only gone once but I found SDCC  was a pop culture feast.  I spent every penny I could afford on comics but certainly enjoyed the panels, the costumes, the high energy vibe, the artists and the beautiful city.  It's like nothing I'd ever seen before and it was a memorable holiday.

Ummmm who the heck cares about Mile High Comics.

I am glad they are gone, this is the best news I have heard for SDCC in years.

So some of you guys are going to miss bend you over prices on comics or all those TPB's shelves filled with full priced trades that many other dealers have at 25-50% off just a couple aisles down. 

I am celebrating.  Get that garbage company out of my city. 

SDCC just got better!

Chuck's business model can be applied to NO new startup. He's built a brand. There are people loyal to him and apparently they don't shop elsewhere.

As an example, his latest newsletter he offered a Walking Dead #1 at 30% off their price. It sold before I could even see what the price was. There is still a #2 VF (assumed 8.0-8.5) listed at $975 - 30% = $682.50. A CGC 8.0 just sold for $295.

16 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Have to agree.  I've only gone once but I found SDCC  was a pop culture feast.  I spent every penny I could afford on comics but certainly enjoyed the panels, the costumes, the high energy vibe, the artists and the beautiful city.  It's like nothing I'd ever seen before and it was a memorable holiday.

human%20torch%20n%20greggy%20sdcc%202009

:grin:

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, thehumantorch said:

"The final straw, however, was the utter indifference of the San Diego Comic-Con management to the fiasco that we endured at the beginning of last year's show, when the freight handlers that they hired failed to deliver our comics to our booth.   So how could this awful thing happen? It beats the heck out of me. Our trucker was in line at the convention marshaling yard at 6:30 AM on Tuesday morning. At 9 PM that evening, with almost all the other vendors around us unpacked and completely set up, we still did not have our 40,000 lbs of freight. I had twelve workers scheduled to help us set up that day (included Will, Lynne, and Norrie who flew in from Denver that morning...), but all we could do was to sit around all day in our totally empty booth."

To be fair, if I flew in and flew in a bunch of staff and we waited all day for my inventory and got no explanation from con organizers I'd be pretty upset.  This would speak to organizers being focused on nothing but maximum profit and no appreciation of long term partners/vendors or relationships.

chuckemptybooth071916_zpsejp3wo3k.jpg

:whatthe:

On 7/5/2017 at 9:32 PM, Agent 007 said:

I'm glad.  They sucked.  Overpriced books, poor customer service.  Variant covers they had they marked up, went to other dealers who sold it at the face value.  How comic book dealers should do it.  Mile High was a joke.  That is how I feel.

Had some good dollar books at nycc a few years ago. Friendly pleasant guy in person.

18 minutes ago, marvelcollector said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Chuck has a "change of mind"; he was begged by ...fill in the blank. Now he'll be the hero and attend. He has a track record of being something of a drama queen.

I wouldn't be shocked if Chuck has a "change of mind"; he was begged by The Millions and Millions of the Chucksters fans

Most conventions aren't even comic cons anymore, they are all turning into pop culture cons, while 90% of the tickets being bought up cosplayers who have no interest in buying comics, instead they buy the t-shirts, action figures, posters, prints. 

Comic dealers are left with "How can I make money at these cons if I only sell comics?"

You'll have to adapt. 

Expand your inventory to what people at the show actually buy.  (start carrying other products that aren't comics)  

If you don't want to do that.  Alternative is to mainly sell comics online. 

Otherwise, you'll be sitting at your $3,000 table, bored to death.  

9 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Most conventions aren't even comic cons anymore, they are all turning into pop culture cons, while 90% of the tickets being bought up cosplayers who have no interest in buying comics, instead they buy the t-shirts, action figures, posters, prints. 

Comic dealers are left with "How can I make money at these cons if I only sell comics?"

You'll have to adapt. 

Expand your inventory to what people at the show actually buy.  (start carrying other products that aren't comics)  

If you don't want to do that.  Alternative is to mainly sell comics online. 

Otherwise, you'll be sitting at your $3,000 table, bored to death.  

Find me a serious comic dealer who knows anything about Anime-themed stuffies and giant fake Final Fantasy swords.  Anyone.  I'll wait.

So is the issue here that is still called "comic con"?

if there was a name change would every be happier?

im curious how many of the people upset about the cosplay, the non comic book related buyers/sellers still go to local shows etc and what type of money are they spending

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

So is the issue here that is still called "comic con"?

if there was a name change would every be happier?

im curious how many of the people upset about the cosplay, the non comic book related buyers/sellers still go to local shows etc and what type of money are they spending

The cosplay has taken over. If I could afford it I would go to a smaller show like the one house of comics does in California.

Edited by HighRadArea

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, ygogolak said:

Chuck's business model can be applied to NO new startup. He's built a brand. There are people loyal to him and apparently they don't shop elsewhere.

As an example, his latest newsletter he offered a Walking Dead #1 at 30% off their price. It sold before I could even see what the price was. There is still a #2 VF (assumed 8.0-8.5) listed at $975 - 30% = $682.50. A CGC 8.0 just sold for $295.

I think that's partially/mostly true.  When I got back into comics (way back in 2001), I had no idea where to buy books.  I did, however, remember seeing all those Mile High Comics ads in the comics from when I collected.  I did a quick google search for MHC and it took me to the site.  I bought a few books (probably about $200-250 worth).  I ended up returning one of the 3 for a refund (it was a TTA 57 in "NM", btw).  Ended up blackballed from them for it. 

I think he relies on that sort of thing (not the return aspect).   With some of the "next gen" of returners to the hobby, he probably can swindle enough of them in the short term to keep it going for a bit. 

On 7/9/2017 at 11:17 AM, Senormac said:

human%20torch%20n%20greggy%20sdcc%202009

:grin:

How much did the gimp set you back? (shrug)

5 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Find me a serious comic dealer who knows anything about Anime-themed stuffies and giant fake Final Fantasy swords.  Anyone.  I'll wait.

Go look at all of the posts in the "Got A Comic Room" thread - see and learn what people who collect comics are also buying, and stock up on that too. The industry and market changes. Very rare is the comic-collector who doesn't also buy statues, action-figures, posters, statues, wall-art, miniatures, slab-frames etc. etc. 

But bring nothing but 10,000sf of the same ol'boxes of Mile-High-priced comicbooks to the biggest comic/media/pop-culture event of the year over  over and over again while you watch your industry, market and customers leave you behind in a rapidly-growing/evolving market, okay then stay home, but enough of the drama-queen act.

A purely Comics-Only-Con would be nice for comics-only buyers and comics-only sellers. Small, but nice. Or maybe Mile-High can create/host the biggest Comics-Only-Con and show all those funko/bronie/cosplayers what's what.

10 minutes ago, NetworkSecure said:

I didn't realize I was so special, I buy none of those things. :acclaim: If I never saw another cosplayer in my life I'd be a happy man.

Cool! Mile-High is for you then! (thumbsu