• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

was probably trying to hide from someone he'd stiffed

Too true (haha) - in this case however, he had his cart overloaded with his usual junk when he tried to convince a security guard that he was handicapped and therefore was entitled to go through a non-access door. 

He then forced his way through, with predictable results (ran over an attendee and broke her foot). He was thus banned by the Con as an exhibitor.

The following year, Beerbong showed up as an attendee but proceeded to get into a heated argument with someone at a booth that he owed money after ripping them off. I thought the guy was going to rip Beerbong's head off. 

I thankfully did not see him anymore after that...

I went in 2003 and 2004 when tangentially comic-related movies and exclusives were first really starting to take over. I have not desired to go back. I did see Quentin Tarantino diving through long boxes at a small booth, which was cool.

19 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Too true (haha) - in this case however, he had his cart overloaded with his usual junk when he tried to convince a security guard that he was handicapped and therefore was entitled to go through a non-access door. 

He then forced his way through, with predictable results (ran over an attendee and broke her foot). He was thus banned by the Con as an exhibitor.

The following year, Beerbong showed up as an attendee but proceeded to get into a heated argument with someone at a booth that he owed money after ripping them off. I thought the guy was going to rip Beerbong's head off. 

Guys like this seem to be everywhere.

We have one here in Alberta. An example "event": he was parked in the loading bay of a local con and some other vendors were wanting to load a rather heavy piece of machinery into their van after the show and they asked if the guy could move his vehicle to allow them to load up using the loading dock. After they were done they said he could move his vehicle back in. He of course refused to be of any help and did not move his vehicle, an argument ensued and it resulted in the police being called to resolve. It is important to add that while his vehicle was parked in the loading zone spot he was not doing any loading.

Chuck has made a wise business decision.  Ton of prep work.  Ton of work setting up.  Ton of work breaking down.  Lots of expenses.  For what?  Little to no money? 

He doesn't need the exposure,  Mile High is well known in the hobby.  

I'm sure there is a part of him that is sad at the moment but I think he'll be quite happy with his decision.  

Will this be a trend?  More dealers, not going to the big conventions out of frustration?  The higher costs, the Hollywood/Cos-Play Bastardization of the event, not worth the hassle for some vendors?  

You know the increasing prices of admission, autographs, parking, hotel etc., is starting to wear down the consumer.  It has to have an effect on the vendors. 

We have the Tampa Comic Con in July, and now Tampa MegaCon in Sept/Oct.     I can't go to both.  Can dealers afford both? 

2 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Will this be a trend?  More dealers, not going to the big conventions out of frustration?  The higher costs, the Hollywood/Cos-Play Bastardization of the event, not worth the hassle for some vendors?  

You know the increasing prices of admission, autographs, parking, hotel etc., is starting to wear down the consumer.  It has to have an effect on the vendors. 

We have the Tampa Comic Con in July, and now Tampa MegaCon in Sept/Oct.     I can't go to both.  Can dealers afford both? 

It's already the trend.  Even some toy retailers are holding back again this year to present their material at other shows.  SD wants too much money to justify their presence. 

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I've relegated my con fun to Terry's one day show in Yorba Linda now. Last year was a blast, met a ton of board members.

And me over facetime !

5 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I've relegated my con fun to Terry's one day show in Yorba Linda now. Last year was a blast, partied with a ton of board members.

Small shows are so much better no Hollywood  and fans not interested in comicbooks 2c

Just now, comicjack said:

Small shows are so much better no Hollywood  and fans not interested in comicbooks 2c

It's a blast. I Live 5 minutes away from Terry's show, and there are more comics than San Diego. ^^

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

It's a blast. I Live 5 minutes away from Terry's show, and there are more comics than San Diego. ^^

Interesting :idea:

Just now, oakman29 said:

So when are you gonna come out to the show. I can just see you and I singing New York, New York on  karaoke.:headbang:

Maybe one day.  I've got a lot of stuff going on recently.   Weird fact... I can actually sing. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Maybe one day.  I've got a lot of stuff going on recently.   Weird fact... I can actually sing. 

Nice!   One day, and I'll buy the booze......:banana:

I love SDCC!!  All comic book related stuff from TV SHOWS to Movies to Toys to Comic Books.  I love the Vibe and atmosphere everywhere.  Thousands of great people go each year.  I always drop stuff at CGC, buy stuff at Dale Roberts Booth and A-1 Comics.  I also buy from other booths but thats what I like to do.  I'm also loyal to D.R. who sold me tix one year when I didn't obtain any in the lotto.  Always loyal to his booth 1st when I go.  I also bring books to Clink to sell for me in upcoming auctions, I always love that I get a check in hand for 50% of what the sale may be and get the rest when it sales.  I only dislike some of the booths like Marvel, to get a chance to draw for a signing when they open.  The line is always long when u get in and already given out.  Booth people are in line or others who found a way in.  I always see the same people up there getting stuff signed and taking/talking to long to chat with people like they know them, causing people behind them not able to get anything signed because of the time has expired for the VIP.  Desert Wind (Mr.C) is always a violator at the Marvel Booth always doing that.

Edited by Agent 007
typo

18 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

If you hate crowds, don't go to SDCC ... or to the market or to a department store or...  Maybe it's best to stay home and play on the computer. :jokealert:

Social Anxiety is no joke. It's tough to fill in the holes in your run when you generally dislike being out in public.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Social Anxiety is no joke. It's tough to fill in the holes in your run when you generally dislike being out in public.

Yup.

It does take quite a profound psychological and physical toll on you. That, to me, is more of an issue than the financial cost of doing a convention, although cumulatively those three factors create a perfect storm for avoidance.

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Wonder if Bob lectured him about his many contributions to the hobby after breaking his foot?