• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, justafan said:

That makes sense but I guess for Chuck it's go big or stay home. 

I am a little disappointed at the low dealer turnout being mentioned. I realize it's no longer comic focused and hasn't been for a long time but figured I'd see more dealers than your typical large annual con. I was looking forward to seeing dealers and stock that don't make it out to the east coast midAtlantic region cons as well. Curious as to how many other dealers are considering pulling the plug on SDCC. Guess I'll have to find something to do for the other 3 days I'll be there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck started his own convention and call it Mile High Con?

He has the money and connections to do something like that.

I'm not an old timer like most of you guys, I only started going to cons about 10 years ago, but I now find the experience to be almost a damn challenge.  It's impossible to browse quietly the long boxes as most booths are swarmed by bored teenagers, random people with babies and some booths are just so messy, its impossible to find anything except garbage. 

Same thing with the artists alley. I love to buy art, talk to the artists about their work, but now.. It's just so noisy and there's a constant flood of people walking around, it's hard to get a convo going. 

I feel like I'm only going this year to submit my comics to CGC and get out because i'm gonna get annoyed by how overcrowded the events now are. It just sucks now.  

Edited by Cyrax

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck started his own convention and call it Mile High Con?

He has the money and connections to do something like that.

I am pretty sure if Chuck did this (and ran it like he does his comic business), no one would want to pay the prices he would charge for booth space.

Will be my 30th year at SDCC. I still love going, I attend panels, look around, enjoy the Gaslamp scene, look at comics. Check out the movie and TV stuff. There isn't anything else like it. The con has changed, but I get to meet book writers, see tv and movie premiers, see tv stars. It's cool. 

Edited by Silver

I last attended in 1989. Back then, there was a small retailer trade show and distributors and comic companies would give attendees enough swag to make it worth a store owners while to attend.  One year Diamond treated about 500 store owners to a booze cruise and another, Geppi somehow got permission for us to play a softball game at the Padres Stadium.  That's when competition existed and distributors worked for their clients, not the other way around.

10 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

This idea is probably full of problems like an adequate location or some other restrictions that the SDCC has in place -- who knows (feel free to explain the problems). But it sure seems like it would give the comic book fans an alternative to just the media-based event. Also-- I would not restrict it in any way -- want to were your cosplay? no problem.

it's actually not a bad idea.

Have a pass that is Silver and Gold pavilion exclusive but also allows for access into the con if you choose to use it.

17 hours ago, NoMan said:

Social Anxiety is no joke. It's tough to fill in the holes in your run when you generally dislike being out in public.

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.

It does take quite a profound psychological and physical toll on you. That, to me, is more of an issue than the financial cost of doing a convention, although cumulatively those three factors create a perfect storm for avoidance.

My problem isn't social anxiety, it's sensory overload.  I can't watch everyone all the time, hear only the "important" things, keep an eye on the exits, avoid running over people, etc.  I used to love conventions but now it's exhausting regardless of size.  

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried setting up a comic book only dealers location that runs around the same time as the SDCC. I mean one that is within reasonable walking distance and doesn't charge an arm and a leg to the dealers to set up. One that also asks for a minimal charge to attendees to come in the doors (and perhaps allow them to come back at any time during the duration of the event and perhaps include a small cash value coupon good toward the purchase of books inside the separate event.

This is brilliant!  Find a place close to the Trolley lines, even.  It might allow it to be cheaper if it branches out from the main show but still remains easily accessible.  

51 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

My problem isn't social anxiety, it's sensory overload.  I can't watch everyone all the time, hear only the "important" things, keep an eye on the exits, avoid running over people, etc.  I used to love conventions but now it's exhausting regardless of size.  

I have the same; hypervigilance and sensory overload.  I can empathise. 

Even the London convention is too much for me.  Doubt I'd cope with San Diego. 

52 minutes ago, justafan said:

I like the idea but the problem may be in finding a venue to support the comic only dealers and guests that won't gouge with the same high rates that SDCC and San Diego charges. 

well if a group of dealers got together and found some place that would work, they could split the cost almost in a co-op sort of way. Unlike the SDCC, the motivation would not be to profit on setting up the venue as much as setting up a place for just books and let people market their goods without the pressure of the massive overhead. Yeah-- the hotel rates food etc is still crazy-- but I bet this would be well received by those who wanted to dive into some cheaper long boxes. Heck even guys who had a presence in the main convention could still run a smaller version out side the halls where they had their not-so expensive stuff.

I'm not in any position to make it happen but I bet some have the connections and knowledge to pull it off, perhaps next year.

If it were only as easy as finding a location etc

there is a lot of work that goes into these conventions in order for them to be successful

i would love if some of the dealers that still set up at SDCC give their thoughts 

this isn't the only local comic show in the area right? I'm sure other shows cater more to the comic only crowd 

Why don't "Comic only" related vendors ban together and rent out a venue near San Diego during the same time the SDCC is on and lower their costs and benefit from the traffic?

Charge no admission fee and split the cost of the rent as a co-op which would likely be far less then a single booth at SDCC.  

Edited by Red_Hood
Just noticed that the idea was discussed, should read the whole thread

23 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Why don't "Comic only" related vendors ban together and rent out a venue near San Diego during the same time the SDCC is on and lower their costs and benefit from the traffic?

Charge no admission fee and split the cost of the rent as a co-op which would likely be far less then a single booth at SDCC.  

Doesn't SDCC take over the entire City thus hotel rooms exploding up to $600 a night.  You could possibly find a place a couple hours away but then your buyers would also need to drive to check out the books.  Hasn't it been done where dealers set up "booths" in hotel rooms to save cost?  Isn't this an extension of that idea?

16 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried setting up a comic book only dealers location that runs around the same time as the SDCC. I mean one that is within reasonable walking distance and doesn't charge an arm and a leg to the dealers to set up. One that also asks for a minimal charge to attendees to come in the doors (and perhaps allow them to come back at any time during the duration of the event and perhaps include a small cash value coupon good toward the purchase of books inside the separate event.

Hell -- I can't believe the SDCC hasn't done this themselves frankly-- and it would NOT have to be open at the same times the main SDCC is open-- it could have hours that work for people not at the show or who couldn't even get into the SDCC. That would also let some people just come for a day and do nothing but shop around for books.

This idea is probably full of problems like an adequate location or some other restrictions that the SDCC has in place -- who knows (feel free to explain the problems). But it sure seems like it would give the comic book fans an alternative to just the media-based event. Also-- I would not restrict it in any way -- want to were your cosplay? no problem.

This sounds like a great idea!

Edited by zhamlau

12 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

You guys mean a convention like this in SD but running concurrently with SDCC? SDCOMICFEST

Exactly at the same time as the SDCC. Just take over a location like this. Is the "old" SD Convention Center still around? Maybe a membership that offers everything or just the comic part. I doubt that the SDCC even cares about the old mouldy pulp dealers that started this in the first place though. It would expand this con even more making them a lot more money. They could move all of dealers over to the other show to make more room for the corporate folks. I don't know, would there be dealers that didn't like it? It would generate a lot more revune for the dealers and bring people like me back.

The problem with "FanFest" is that it is really very little about comic book vendors either. Also, at a totally different time. It is a "nostalgia" show. If it were at the same time as SDCC, it would attract a whole lot more people with dough to spend.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:32 PM, Agent 007 said:
On 7/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, MedicAR said:

It's official!  Mile High Comics won't be at SDCC.

Chuck has finally bowed out.  Will other big dealers follow suit in the coming years?  Chuck laments the same things that have been said again and again by both dealers and fans, SDCC ain't what it used to be.  

I'm glad.  They sucked.  Overpriced books, poor customer service.  Variant covers they had they marked up, went to other dealers who sold it at the face value.  How comic book dealers should do it.  Mile High was a joke.  That is how I feel.

+1

Yes, Chuck only has himself to blame for why SDCC is not what it used to be, as he himself is one of the culprits.  (tsk)

I still remembered one of the last years I was down there.  The Mile High booth only had graphic novels for sale and then a bank of computers while allowed convention goers to access their Mile High inventory database.  Could not find a single comic book anywhere at all at any of their booths.  :facepalm: