• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

+1 The King of Comic Cons. The show, the city, the weather and the vibe make it like no other. Every comic book fan should go at least once. This is from a guy that went about 40 times. Problem is, it has just out grown its self and most of what I loved about is fading away. I just can't deal with what it has become any more...

Perhaps its an omen of things to come.  Edgar Church collection rocks the comic collecting world.  Puts Chuck Rozanski on the map.  Fuels the Golden Age collectors with a massive dose of coolness.  SDCC grows and grows and grows and grows.  Comic collectors begin to diss the SDCC for a lot of different reasons, the main one being, prices.  Table space prices.  Badge prices.  Hotel prices.  Finally, Edgar Church collection guy calls it quits with SDCC. 

What is next on the horizon for this show ?

Not for sure if it's a good or bad thing but the show will still prosper without us comic collectors. There are plenty that go for other reasons (Cosplay, Art, celebs, panels, toys, etc.) .that will pick up an item or two while there and make it profitable for the show.

22 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I've never been to the SDCC but I would "still" like to go at least one time for the experience be it good or bad.  I do realize that comic books are now on the back burner now but I would like to go just once to soak it all in.
However, I don't want to have to spend a small fortune to enjoy it either.  $600 a night for a hotel room is freaking OUTRAGEOUS!  I'll do what somebody stated in this thread get a hotel about 20-25 minutes away and pay for a parking pass (of course if you can even get any of this due to the huge demand). 
My focus would be to buy some comics but would check out all the other events going on as well. ....If I ever get the chance and can actually make it out  there.

We stayed on the outskirts and rode the "trolley" (train) into the Gaslight District, we got out right in front of the show.  It may be a good alternative to trying to park.

(shrug)

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

Perhaps its an omen of things to come.  Edgar Church collection rocks the comic collecting world.  Puts Chuck Rozanski on the map.  Fuels the Golden Age collectors with a massive dose of coolness.  SDCC grows and grows and grows and grows.  Comic collectors begin to diss the SDCC for a lot of different reasons, the main one being, prices.  Table space prices.  Badge prices.  Hotel prices.  Finally, Edgar Church collection guy calls it quits with SDCC. 

Thai bbq? (shrug)

1 hour ago, MedicAR said:

We stayed on the outskirts and rode the "trolley" (train) into the Gaslight District, we got out right in front of the show.  It may be a good alternative to trying to park.

(shrug)

Great! I'll keep that in mind if I $$can$$ ever make it out there.  

1 hour ago, MedicAR said:

(shrug)

Someone here could write a book filled with little two page stories/chapters of peoples SDCC "experiences !!  At least 100 stories are out there !!  I'd donate a story :preach:

3 hours ago, Senormac said:

If Chuck had just bought the collection, then stashed it away, and got a job as a appliance repairman just imagine how rich he'd be today.

The more I think about, the more I believe that the SDCC is just a reflection of what is going on in the entire industry. The comic book stores that are still doing well generally don't have all their sales in back issues anymore-- but new books and other items from the hobby.

Chuck should have embraced the situation, perhaps made his number of booths a little less and focused on back issues instead of TPB and con exclusives. Sounds crazy but as more and more back issue dealers opt out, he would have positioned himself to capitalize on the reduced competition. Though as he does say, all the costs result in needing to sell a lot of $4 comics. The thing is-- with the ton of comics in inventory he has to sell, he could have done a bunch of business and really turned some inventory. Perhaps he is happier having millions of books so he can maintain some sort of position as the biggest store in the country. I understand he has some sort of "Mobile Comic store" device (most of us call it the internet) as a way to have those sales. But people want to have the books in hand and have them immediately, not whenever he can ship them out (after the SDCC). Baffling logic perhaps but skipping the SDCC does save on a bunch of fixed costs. I suspect he should have dropped this show five years ago, not just this year.

Maybe he will spend the money updating that web site to something from this decade.

Edited by 01TheDude

34 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

The more I think about, the more I believe that the SDCC is just a reflection of what is going on in the entire industry. The comic book stores that are still doing well generally don't have all their sales in back issues anymore-- but new books and other items from the hobby.

Chuck should have embraced the situation, perhaps made his number of booths a little less and focused on back issues instead of TPB and con exclusives. Sounds crazy but as more and more back issue dealers opt out, he would have positioned himself to capitalize on the reduced competition. Though as he does say, all the costs result in needing to sell a lot of $4 comics. The thing is-- with the ton of comics in inventory he has to sell, he could have done a bunch of business and really turned some inventory. Perhaps he is happier having millions of books so he can maintain some sort of position as the biggest store in the country. I understand he has some sort of "Mobile Comic store" device (most of us call it the internet) as a way to have those sales. But people want to have the books in hand and have them immediately, not whenever he can ship them out (after the SDCC). Baffling logic perhaps but skipping the SDCC does save on a bunch of fixed costs. I suspect he should have dropped this show five years ago, not just this year.

Maybe he will spend the money updating that web site to something from this decade.

Chuck said in an interview "I'm not good at making money, But I gotta lot of comics"  

He's more interested in carrying dead inventory than he is generating cash flow, then when he needs the cash flow. He complains he doesn't have it.  He really needs to evaluate his business model.  

Edited by Kevin76

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

If Chuck had just bought the collection, then stashed it away, and got a job as a appliance repairman just imagine how rich he'd be today.

That's called the "millionaire slowlane" You wanna be rich now when you're young, or wait 30-40 years? 

7 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

I can't imagine what it must have been like to find the church books as a kid which is what he was. It must have been like finding a bag with a big ol dollar sign on it or a winning lottery ticket in the street.

I have talked to him about it. He said when they opened the closet, he was weak in the knees. He had no idea what exactly he had until he took them home and started going through them. They were stacked in piles with the oldest ones at the bottom. It must have been like a light from heaven. They just wanted them gone...

Chuck's 50% SANDIEGO code word is now in effect, even though he's not set up this year. Here is another little tidbit from his latest newsletter:

I will close today's newsletter with an interesting observation about our Jason St. Mega-Store. Almost everyone realizes by now that Jason St. is the largest comic book store in the world, and that the diversity of comics, magazines, graphic novels, trade paperbacks, and comics hardbacks that we offer in that one building supersedes any other spot on earth. But, did you know that Jason St. also buys more comics each day than it sells? Seriously, We buy so many collections at Jason St. ( sometimes a dozen collections in a day!) that we always have more comics in stock at closing than what we had when we unlocked our door that morning. In effect, I have built a perpetual comic book machine! Just some fun food for thought...

On 7/13/2017 at 2:50 AM, 01TheDude said:

I understand he has some sort of "Mobile Comic store" device (most of us call it the internet)

:roflmao:

On 7/13/2017 at 3:50 AM, topofthetotem said:

I can't imagine what it must have been like to find the church books as a kid which is what he was. It must have been like finding a bag with a big ol dollar sign on it or a winning lottery ticket in the street.

For me imagining buying a collection of that magnitude is easy.  I've dreamt about it my whole life.  As out there as Bob is San Diego is worse off for not having him.

Edited by ThothAmon

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:
On 7/13/2017 at 2:50 AM, 01TheDude said:

I understand he has some sort of "Mobile Comic store" device (most of us call it the internet)

:roflmao:

It goes with the perpetual comic book machine that he built!

4 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Chuck's 50% SANDIEGO code word is now in effect, even though he's not set up this year. Here is another little tidbit from his latest newsletter:

I will close today's newsletter with an interesting observation about our Jason St. Mega-Store. Almost everyone realizes by now that Jason St. is the largest comic book store in the world, and that the diversity of comics, magazines, graphic novels, trade paperbacks, and comics hardbacks that we offer in that one building supersedes any other spot on earth. But, did you know that Jason St. also buys more comics each day than it sells? Seriously, We buy so many collections at Jason St. ( sometimes a dozen collections in a day!) that we always have more comics in stock at closing than what we had when we unlocked our door that morning. In effect, I have built a perpetual comic book machine! Just some fun food for thought...

Chuck's mantra: Buy low, sell? never!