• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I do not suffer from social anxiety but I do suffer from other people's stupidity.   I am also getting to the point that I recognize that my irritation is causing me to be seen as rude to others. 

My basic rules for NYCC

1. When you are going down the escalator do not stop at the bottom and check your phone just standing there.  There are people behind you.   You will get an elbow. 
  2. Walk with a damn purpose.  Have some type of agenda.  Standing around is nice when it is not crowded.  You standing around to 'take it all in' is causing traffic jams.
  3. If there is no one in front of you, there is no need to walk down the hallway with four of your friends like you are god damn Reservoir Dogs.  Allow people to pass or be prepared for people to go through you. 
  4. Stay to the right.  Some people do not understand this concept.
  5. Many of us who take the subways and LIRR each day treat these cons like the subway system.  We walk with a purpose and we navigate around.  We have little time for the confused doe eyed lost sheep in the crowd on their cell phone.  

This is me to a "T"

everything you said rings true. Lets not forget the people with baby strollers... please just please find a babysitter that day. I understand these are family shows and a lot of families go but I can guarantee your 2 year old won't remember a thing. Trying to get around those things in a tight ally is tough, I don't want to bump into your baby but i'd rather avoid bumping into the really hot cosplayer walking beside you too lol

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I do not suffer from social anxiety but I do suffer from other people's stupidity.   I am also getting to the point that I recognize that my irritation is causing me to be seen as rude to others. 

My basic rules for NYCC

1. When you are going down the escalator do not stop at the bottom and check your phone just standing there.  There are people behind you.   You will get an elbow. 
  2. Walk with a damn purpose.  Have some type of agenda.  Standing around is nice when it is not crowded.  You standing around to 'take it all in' is causing traffic jams.
  3. If there is no one in front of you, there is no need to walk down the hallway with four of your friends like you are god damn Reservoir Dogs.  Allow people to pass or be prepared for people to go through you. 
  5. Many of us who take the subways and LIRR each day treat these cons like the subway system.  We walk with a purpose and we navigate around.  We have little time for the confused doe eyed lost sheep in the crowd on their cell phone.  

#2 Nothing worse than the "shufflers" drifting aimlessly down the isle elbow to elbow. Nothing makes me more tired than this. I prefer to walk with a comfortable stride to where I want to go. 

17 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried setting up a comic book only dealers location that runs around the same time as the SDCC. I mean one that is within reasonable walking distance and doesn't charge an arm and a leg to the dealers to set up. One that also asks for a minimal charge to attendees to come in the doors (and perhaps allow them to come back at any time during the duration of the event and perhaps include a small cash value coupon good toward the purchase of books inside the separate event.

Hell -- I can't believe the SDCC hasn't done this themselves frankly-- and it would NOT have to be open at the same times the main SDCC is open-- it could have hours that work for people not at the show or who couldn't even get into the SDCC. That would also let some people just come for a day and do nothing but shop around for books.

This idea is probably full of problems like an adequate location or some other restrictions that the SDCC has in place -- who knows (feel free to explain the problems). But it sure seems like it would give the comic book fans an alternative to just the media-based event. Also-- I would not restrict it in any way -- want to were your cosplay? no problem.

A few years ago, I thought Chuck said he was talking to other dealers about organizing something along these lines?  Apparently nothing came of it.  Maybe it wouldn't work if run at the same time and people may not want to trek out to SD twice per year (wonderful as SD is!).  Significant time/money commitment for Midwest and east coast dealers (and collectors) to make a trip of that length. 

50 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My basic rules for NYCC

You must love navigating through midtown this time of year! :)

54 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, Chuck only has himself to blame for why SDCC is not what it used to be, as he himself is one of the culprits.  (tsk)

I still remembered one of the last years I was down there.  The Mile High booth only had graphic novels for sale and then a bank of computers while allowed convention goers to access their Mile High inventory database.  Could not find a single comic book anywhere at all at any of their booths.  :facepalm:

I think he's always made most of his dough from selling trade paperbacks.  

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

For a few years he took loads of DC Archive hardcovers, which, IIRC, he sold half cover price.

The only time he had anything that sounded interesting.

Easy to find them deep-discounted in the UK, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 hours ago, Silver said:

Will be my 30th year at SDCC. I still love going, I attend panels, look around, enjoy the Gaslamp scene, look at comics. Check out the movie and TV stuff. There isn't anything else like it. The con has changed, but I get to meet book writers, see tv and movie premiers, see tv stars. It's cool. 

I don't see any words saying you buy comics. This is what the dealers complain about. People go to the con for everything but buying books. Unless you do and just didn't mention it.

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Doesn't SDCC take over the entire City thus hotel rooms exploding up to $600 a night.  You could possibly find a place a couple hours away but then your buyers would also need to drive to check out the books.  Hasn't it been done where dealers set up "booths" in hotel rooms to save cost?  Isn't this an extension of that idea?

At first thought it might sound like a neat idea if a bunch of dealers rented out a block of rooms on the same floor and setup with doors open folks to walk through but this would clearly violate fire code.  The alternative might be to rent out the 1st floor of a motel where each room was a dealers booth.  Less of a fire code issue but the parking lot and chaos would be a nightmare.  The only way I see this working is if there was either a decent covered venue big enough that could support a large crowd within walking distance to the SDCC convention center or a large open outdoor green space.  I'm thinking something like a public pavilion or even a tent city setup outdoors.

I recall hearing about some centuries old European festivals in Spain that started out as a traders market (merchant con) for merchants selling their goods brought in from their lands in large outdoor tents in a large open field.  Flush with cash and profits they would decorate their booths to invite potential customers, network deals, and overall celebrate.  It's now turned into a major party scene but each booth is now inherited and passed down by families and companies that own them.  I can imagine a smaller, more sedate version of this scene if there's a large open park nearby where dealers can setup tented air conditioned booths for merely the cost of obtaining a vendors permit from the city and the tend/booth. 

Looking at a map of the convention center down town the obvious choice to me would be the Embarcadero Marina Park South or North or even the green spaces around the convention center.  Not sure if these are already used by SDCC but there are green spaces near hotels and condominiums around the convention center and even a large park to the north west that could be negotiated.  Maybe you guys are thinking something a little more clandestine comicon speakeasy style to keep the large non-comic buying crowds away.

I have never been and can say I have no desire. For that kind of money I rather go to some smaller shows and then take a nice vacation. Or spend that money on comics. 

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, Chuck only has himself to blame for why SDCC is not what it used to be, as he himself is one of the culprits.  (tsk)

I still remembered one of the last years I was down there.  The Mile High booth only had graphic novels for sale and then a bank of computers while allowed convention goers to access their Mile High inventory database.  Could not find a single comic book anywhere at all at any of their booths.  :facepalm:

That's my point exactly, it's all about money and how best you can make it.

Since Chuck makes more money from selling trade paperbacks as opposed to collectible comic books, that's why he chooses to bring trade paperbacks and no comic books for that particular year.  Doesn't make the comic book collector happy who goes down to SD hoping to find some collectible comic books at the con.

Now if we take it up a step, the SDCC now caters much more to the bigger companies such as the TV networks, movie studios, and comic book publishers because that's what draws the crowds in and gives them the big profit margins, even though it's supposed to be a non-profit organization.  Doesn't make the smaller vintage comic book dealer happy, but that's like asking Chuck to bring real collectible comic books to the show as opposed to bringing trade paperbacks and a bank of computers with direct access to his online website.  hm

On 7/6/2017 at 8:39 PM, Silver said:

Will be my 30th year at SDCC. I still love going, I attend panels, look around, enjoy the Gaslamp scene, look at comics. Check out the movie and TV stuff. There isn't anything else like it. The con has changed, but I get to meet book writers, see tv and movie premiers, see tv stars. It's cool. 

I agree.  I may have different buying goals and tastes than 30 years ago, but I still enjoy it immensely.

OK, let's look at my cost to attend SDCC.  My wife and I are going, so the costs are for two people.  We have tickets for Thursday through Saturday.  We lucked out in the ticket lottery this year.  I will assume you guys are smart enough to figure out how to increase your odds of getting a ticket.

We are driving down Wednesday from the greater Los Angeles area.  It should take 1.5 hours, but we allow 2 hours because of the traffic.  We are staying at a 3.5 star hotel for $ 169 (plus tax) a night.  If you book your hotel a few weeks before the Con, then yes, you will pay $ 500 a night for a dump.  May be even a lot more.  Our hotel is located about 20 to 25 minutes away from the convention center.  This usually assures fanboys will not be in the room next to us partying to all hours of the night.

Parking at the Hilton parking structure is $ 27.95 per day (for three days for me).  Again, I was lucky this year in the parking lottery (which is not always the case).

Breakfast at the hotel is included in the above mentioned price.  We probably have to buy breakfast on Friday in the Gaslamp district, as we will be getting to the Con very early for Hall H line up.  That will probably run $ 25 to $ 27 (for two), including tip.  By eating breakfast early, we avoid the crowds.

I want to avoid the big crowds at lunch, so I leave the convention about 11:30 AM, and head over to Horton Plaza. Lunch is about $10 to 12 for one person.  My wife usually wants a nice dinner, so I expect to spend $50 to 80, depending on the place.  We usually have dinner at 6 to 6:30 PM.  That seems to be a good time to avoid the mad rush at dinner. There are lot's of places that are less expensive, if one chooses to go that route.

I save throughout the year for SDCC to buy funny books.  I always spend more than I had anticipated.  So for me, there are plenty of books to buy.  I get to buy books on Thursday, hang out with friends on Friday and buy more books on Saturday.  So when I factor in the costs versus the enjoyment I receive, it really is a no brainer for me to attend.

My two cents.

13 hours ago, justafan said:

Maybe you guys are thinking something a little more clandestine comicon speakeasy style to keep the large non-comic buying crowds away.

That sounds great. More like the cultish feel collecting had back in the 70s. 

I'm very old (school).

Replace a lanyard with a secret, convention handshake.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, Philflound said:

I don't see any words saying you buy comics. This is what the dealers complain about. People go to the con for everything but buying books. Unless you do and just didn't mention it.

You're right, I left that out. I usually spend about close to 40% of my time looking through every dealers booth. How much I spend is dependent on if I find stuff to buy. I still go there to buy comics, I was just pointing out that I also go there for other stuff too now.

9 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I agree.  I may have different buying goals and tastes than 30 years ago, but I still enjoy it immensely.

OK, let's look at my cost to attend SDCC.  My wife and I are going, so the costs are for two people.  We have tickets for Thursday through Saturday.  We lucked out in the ticket lottery this year.  I will assume you guys are smart enough to figure out how to increase your odds of getting a ticket.

We are driving down Wednesday from the greater Los Angeles area.  It should take 1.5 hours, but we allow 2 hours because of the traffic.  We are staying at a 3.5 star hotel for $ 169 (plus tax) a night.  If you book your hotel a few weeks before the Con, then yes, you will pay $ 500 a night for a dump.  May be even a lot more.  Our hotel is located about 20 to 25 minutes away from the convention center.  This usually assures fanboys will not be in the room next to us partying to all hours of the night.

Parking at the Hilton parking structure is $ 27.95 per day (for three days for me).  Again, I was lucky this year in the parking lottery (which is not always the case).

Breakfast at the hotel is included in the above mentioned price.  We probably have to buy breakfast on Friday in the Gaslamp district, as we will be getting to the Con very early for Hall H line up.  That will probably run $ 25 to $ 27 (for two), including tip.  By eating breakfast early, we avoid the crowds.

I want to avoid the big crowds at lunch, so I leave the convention about 11:30 AM, and head over to Horton Plaza. Lunch is about $10 to 12 for one person.  My wife usually wants a nice dinner, so I expect to spend $50 to 80, depending on the place.  We usually have dinner at 6 to 6:30 PM.  That seems to be a good time to avoid the mad rush at dinner. There are lot's of places that are less expensive, if one chooses to go that route.

I save throughout the year for SDCC to buy funny books.  I always spend more than I had anticipated.  So for me, there are plenty of books to buy.  I get to buy books on Thursday, hang out with friends on Friday and buy more books on Saturday.  So when I factor in the costs versus the enjoyment I receive, it really is a no brainer for me to attend.

My two cents.

I really like that.

Despite how much the situation at SD has changed over the last decade and a half, you're still managing to keep it all very civilised and relatively cost-effective. :smile:

20 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

This is me to a "T"

everything you said rings true. Lets not forget the people with baby strollers... please just please find a babysitter that day. I understand these are family shows and a lot of families go but I can guarantee your 2 year old won't remember a thing. Trying to get around those things in a tight ally is tough, I don't want to bump into your baby but i'd rather avoid bumping into the really hot cosplayer walking beside you too lol

I agree completely. Last con I went to a lady is pushing her giant stroller and my thoughts are like you: get a babysitter! Then I see what is in the stroller, it was 2 dogs!! WTF

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree completely. Last con I went to a lady is pushing her giant stroller and my thoughts are like you: get a babysitter! Then I see what is in the stroller, it was 2 dogs!! WTF

Either that or two exceptionally ugly kids hm

I've never been to the show, however I've always wondered if there was a guest list or do they just turn up off the cuff and what about comic artist's. I would have expected some sort of draw or am I wrong.

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I really like that.

Despite how much the situation at SD has changed over the last decade and a half, you're still managing to keep it all very civilised and relatively cost-effective. :smile:

Easy if you can drive there. 

Of course, east cost there are multiple large cons in which can all be driven to depending where you live. C2E2, NYCC, Motor City Comic Con, Baltimore Comic Con, etc...

Definitely worth the trade off.