• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking back....
4 4

152 posts in this topic

This is a great thread!  While I'm astounded at what some people can do with computer spreadsheets, it has always been pencil and paper for me.  Anytime i go looking for comics, I take my notebook with me.  I don't even want to think about how much time I have invested in the notebook, but it's definitely in the hundreds of hours.  I have included a few photos of my book to show what I record and how.  I'm currently working on a section to record all of my comic book related books, both hardcover and softcover.  I spent the better part of a year, several years ago, trying to decide how to best compile a record of my collection and then dreading getting started on it once I decided that the pencil and paper route was still the one I wanted to travel.  It worked just fine back in 1984, and it still does.  The nice thing is now it's simply a matter of recording items as I acquire them.  Also, on January 1st of each year, i start a new one subject notebook to record my purchases for that year.  I included a photo of a page from this years book to give you an idea of it.  It comes in very handy, as I note not only what i buy and the price, but also how much in shipping and/or sales tax i paid, as well as whom/where I bought it from.  I buy quite a bit on the boards, and it is always interesting at the end of the year to go back and see which boardies got most of my money!  It's also an eye opener at the end of each year to see how much I spent that year, and it is always way more than I would have thought.  I was going through some boxes of stuff from when I was a kid at my folks last week, and I found my original comic book collection notebook from about 1984 or 1985.  The last photo is a page from that notebook.  I was so happy to find that, as I thought it had been lost or thrown away 30 years ago.  

14997232852121345026906.jpg

14997233689732033080562.jpg

1499723411054571003089.jpg

1499723436185787771474.jpg

1499723479262128673686.jpg

1499724667626895693668.jpg

I use to type up every issue number of comics I collected and cross out issues I had and underline issues I wanted to upgrade. 

I would put out the last issue I bought and write the next issue number and the word "up" so I knew what to buy next  

Once I had a computer it made it easier to update the list every month. 

Now I have photos of each issue I own and I look at the photos on my iPad to see what I want to buy next. 

I'm totally showing my wife this thread so she'll see I'm not half as crazy as I seem!

Bravo! Seriously! :foryou:

18 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

This is a great thread!  While I'm astounded at what some people can do with computer spreadsheets, it has always been pencil and paper for me.  Anytime i go looking for comics, I take my notebook with me.  I don't even want to think about how much time I have invested in the notebook, but it's definitely in the hundreds of hours.  I have included a few photos of my book to show what I record and how.  I'm currently working on a section to record all of my comic book related books, both hardcover and softcover.  I spent the better part of a year, several years ago, trying to decide how to best compile a record of my collection and then dreading getting started on it once I decided that the pencil and paper route was still the one I wanted to travel.  It worked just fine back in 1984, and it still does.  The nice thing is now it's simply a matter of recording items as I acquire them.  Also, on January 1st of each year, i start a new one subject notebook to record my purchases for that year.  I included a photo of a page from this years book to give you an idea of it.  It comes in very handy, as I note not only what i buy and the price, but also how much in shipping and/or sales tax i paid, as well as whom/where I bought it from.  I buy quite a bit on the boards, and it is always interesting at the end of the year to go back and see which boardies got most of my money!  It's also an eye opener at the end of each year to see how much I spent that year, and it is always way more than I would have thought.  I was going through some boxes of stuff from when I was a kid at my folks last week, and I found my original comic book collection notebook from about 1984 or 1985.  The last photo is a page from that notebook.  I was so happy to find that, as I thought it had been lost or thrown away 30 years ago.  

Cheers @Batman1fan, it's always nice when a topic takes hold. Great to see how everyone does it. I know how you felt finding your old 1984 notebook. I felt the same looking through my old records. A nice warm glow of nostalgia :cloud9:

17 hours ago, newshane said:

I'm totally showing my wife this thread so she'll see I'm not half as crazy as I seem!

Bravo! Seriously! :foryou:

But you are crazy @newshane ! Happily though, so is everyone else here! (thumbsu

18 hours ago, jimhouston1 said:

I use to type up every issue number of comics I collected and cross out issues I had and underline issues I wanted to upgrade. 

I would put out the last issue I bought and write the next issue number and the word "up" so I knew what to buy next  

Once I had a computer it made it easier to update the list every month. 

Now I have photos of each issue I own and I look at the photos on my iPad to see what I want to buy next. 

Pen and paper to iPads....

If comics are still around in 50 years time, we'll probably have our wants lists hardwired directly into our brains. Either that or sewn into our pants, after a meteor has wiped out all technology :wishluck: 

58 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

But you are crazy @newshane ! Happily though, so is everyone else here! (thumbsu

I am totally nuts, for sure. :insane:

I'm decidedly old-school and non-functional when it comes to record keeping.

When I buy stuff and receive it in the post, I put it in a running accountant's ledger by date, title, issue # and cost.  Impossible to find anything, unless I can remember an approximate time when I bought something, which is getting more and more difficult to recall.  I have about six or more or so of these books, going back 30-35 years or more.

I only manage to inventory with grades about every 3-6 months when I put books away in the comic cavern.  Back when Mike Richardson had a comic shop in Bend, Oregon, in the early 80s I bought inventory sheets from him that had 320 blocks + on them.  I mostly use those for the longer titles.  I use word documents for the shorter titles, sorted alphabetically and by publisher, but I keep losing stuff due to computer failures and stuff.  I still have a few titles/publishers that are just on note paper.

Let the laughter and insults commence. :whee:

Scan_Pic0027.jpg

Scan_Pic0024.jpg

Scan_Pic0026.jpg

Scan_Pic0025.jpg

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

@lizards not enough copies of Beavis and Butthead. :sumo:

And my likes have been frozen.

2017-07-08 19.52.40.png

Edited by lizards2

Ha!  You can even see my OSPG valuation at the bottom of the Gold Key page for 1987.  That was the winter I worked for Mt. Bachelor ski area and had too much time on my hands at the ski corral. 

30 years ago. :sorry:

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm decidedly old-school and non-functional when it comes to record keeping.

When I buy stuff and receive it in the post, I put it in a running accountant's ledger by date, title, issue # and cost.  Impossible to find anything, unless I can remember an approximate time when I bought something, which is getting more and more difficult to recall.  I have about six or more or so of these books, going back 30-35 years or more.

I only manage to inventory with grades about every 3-6 months when I put books away in the comic cavern.  Back when Mike Richardson had a comic shop in Bend, Oregon, in the early 80s I bought inventory sheets from him that had 320 blocks + on them.  I mostly use those for the longer titles.  I use word documents for the shorter titles, sorted alphabetically and by publisher, but I keep losing stuff due to computer failures and stuff.  I still have a few titles/publishers that are just on note paper.

Let the laughter and insults commence. :whee:

Scan_Pic0027.jpg

Scan_Pic0024.jpg

Scan_Pic0026.jpg

Scan_Pic0025.jpg

"decidedly old-school and non-functional when it comes to record keeping"

I expected nothing less liz! ?

And you have great handwriting, for a lizard ?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

"decidedly old-school and non-functional when it comes to record keeping"

I expected nothing less liz! ?

And you have great handwriting, for a lizard ?

I write a lot in all caps, due to the comic book influence.  It drove my teachers bonkers. :cloud9:

22 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

14997232852121345026906.jpg

14997233689732033080562.jpg

1499723411054571003089.jpg

1499723436185787771474.jpg

1499723479262128673686.jpg

1499724667626895693668.jpg

Very professional looking ! are you sure you are not a statistician on your day job ?? !!

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Very professional looking ! are you sure you are not a statistician on your day job ?? !!

Thanks!  No, I'm no statistician, I've just always printed in all caps and write small.

3 hours ago, Foley said:

Hey guys, a heads up from Steve. He's on a week suspension, so obviously won't be able to post for a bit. 

I'm sure he would like for you to carry on in his absence :smile:

What did he do to whom?

20 minutes ago, Foley said:

As far as I know it was to do with the position impossible thread but I hadn't seen it prior to it being wiped, so can't really say. (shrug)

I did not see whatever that was all about either.  :shy: